Michigan Joint PhD Program

mjr2013

Hello all,

I am extremely interested in the Joint PhD in Social Work and Developmental Psychology at the University of Michigan. This has been the only online forum I've found that has included a few people who have applied to it and I've found sparse info on it here and there (outside reading the entirety of the UM site of course). I'll post my anonymized app below for context, but I'm mostly looking for advice on the process, thoughts on the program, and thoughts on whether it would be worth retaking the GRE. I understand how tough "chances" can be to judge within PhD programs, but if you want to approximate go for it I guess?

25yo white male with Michigan residency
Transfer student at a HYPSM, transferred from a community college in Michigan
Psychology Major, AAS possessed in Mental Health and Social Work from community college

Community College GPA: 3.91 (graduated Summa Cum Laude)
Community College Major GPA: 3.95 (A in stats)
Current School GPA: 3.86
Current School Major GPA: 3.98 (A+ in stats)
GRE: 158(V), 156(Q), 4.5(AWA)

Research Interest: The role of maltreatment in childhood and adolescent development, in particular its effect on psychological functioning and psychopathology; treatments and interventions designed to mitigate the effects of this trauma within young populations and families.

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in late 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior summer expanded upon this project, will present at university level again. Will be starting senior thesis shortly, and will finish by spring 2020. Also worked with policy lab in the Law School to research how a law on foster youth placements has affected a county's placements. We published a report in March 2019 that was authored alphabetically. In short that's two presentations and one publication with another on the way.

Clinical Experience: Prior to transfer, worked for year-and-a-half at residential treatment facility as front-line staff with youth in the child welfare (foster care) system. Worked sophomore and junior summers with (masters level) therapist as intern, in addition to the project described above with those youth. I continue to work at this facility on school breaks.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. TA for Intro Psych course in the fall and winter of this year.

Work Experience: I worked as a full time school bus driver (while attending school full time also) prior to transfer.

Volunteer Experience: I served on the executive board of my hometown's little league baseball organization for five years prior to transfer, and continue to work with them as a special advisor.

Extracurriculars: I am on the leadership team (VP or President level) for three different student groups.

Recs: One from the PI I am publishing with (I also took a class with him my first quarter here and have known him since), one from the advisor that I'll be completing the honors project with (also had a class with her), and one from the masters-level therapist I interned and worked clinically with. All three of those would be very good.

Career Interests: I would enjoy some combination of both research and clinical application. Possibly in a children's hospital.

A lot has changed for me financially and with my home situation in the last few weeks, and not really for the better. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford much of an application cycle outside the Joint PhD, and I may need to return to my home state (Michigan) regardless. So if you have any recommendations on backups to the Joint PhD, I'm all ears.

Thanks y'all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I’ve been following this post for a while and since no one else has said anything I’d jump in and show some support! I am also applying.

I know UMich gives out application fee waivers for the MSW program at grad school fairs, not sure about the joint PhD program but it wouldn’t hurt to shoot an email and ask. They are also very helpful and responsive via email and are willing to put you in contact with their current PhD students. I think that should provide you with more info. 

I’m also looking at the MSW/PhD program at UCBerkeley, but I’m international so I’m not attached to a certain location. Also it’s a top top program so it’s not a backup lol. Please let me know if you want to talk more and support each other :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am also applying to Michigan's MSW/PhD. I am debating about the social science field - soc or psych. I have a lot of work experience and a masters in public policy. Do either of you have a masters? It looks like these programs really prefer you do. 

I am planning to apply to a bunch of MSW/PhD programs. But I am focusing on finishing my Michigan app this week since it's due before all the other schools!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

I also applied to the Joint program for Social Work and Psychology! I really have no barometer for how competitive this program is or how they allocate positions for incoming students based on their second field selection. Do you guys have any further information on this? I have a really good research fit with two PIs who already collaborate, so I'm hopeful, but I don't want to expect too much! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I applied to UM's Joint Sociology/Social Work PhD program.  I was told that admission was extremely selective for that particular combo - last year, 2 out of 30 applicants were selected.  So, my hopes aren't too high, but I figured I'd try.  Anyone else apply to that combination?  Any word back?

2 hours ago, Dawn30 said:

Hi All,

I applied to UM's Joint Sociology/Social Work PhD program.  I was told that admission was extremely selective for that particular combo - last year, 2 out of 30 applicants were selected.  So, my hopes aren't too high, but I figured I'd try.  Anyone else apply to that combination?  Any word back?

I tried for that combo but I haven't heard back. Honestly I am 100% certain I won't get in, but I gave it a try! 

20 hours ago, Dawn30 said:

Hi All,

I also ended up choosing that combo. We will see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I applied to the SW/ANTH program, and I've got an interview with ANTH on Monday, which is the third round of the review process according to their email. Hopefully the other SS are at that stage too or will get there soon! Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I called Michigan earlier today and was informed that most people will receive a response within the next 2 weeks. They said this was for all social sciences-- I specifically applied to the SW/Sociology program and they said they're aiming to get decisions out within the next week but no later than the next 2 weeks. The review process according to the person I talked to is (1) the SW review committee recommends you, (2) the social science dept. recommends you, and (3) the SW review committee finalizes decisions based on who was accepted to the SS programs. Not sure how accurate this is, but it's what I was told. 

Also, congrats on your interview, @anelab?

3 hours ago, penguinqueen said:

Hi all! 

Is anyone on this thread the one who posted on the results page? Just trying to get a sense of what other social science and how likely it is that I’ll hear, thanks!!

Wondering the saaaaame. It wasn't me.

4 hours ago, penguinqueen said:

Hi all! 

Is anyone on this thread the one who posted on the results page? Just trying to get a sense of what other social science and how likely it is that I’ll hear, thanks!!

It wasn’t me! But I’m definitely curious about which social science it was. Fingers crossed it was one of you. ??

4 minutes ago, penguinqueen said:

You guys if I get one more fricken NEWSLETTER from U of M social work that I think is a decision letter, I’m gonna lose my mind haha. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the email

Seriously! Same!!!