Physical Health?

s15rballard

Hey all, 

Could use a bit of advice here--I'm still in the acclimation process to my grad program, and I have fallen sick with a bit of what seems to be a developing cold. I don't think it is terribly severe, but I do wonder if you have any advice for managing this situation when my schedule is dominated by coursework, teaching, and work at a side job for which I can't readily find a stand-in for my shift. 

Please let me know what your tips and tricks are? 

29 minutes ago, s15rballard said:

Hey all, 

Could use a bit of advice here--I'm still in the acclimation process to my grad program, and I have fallen sick with a bit of what seems to be a developing cold. I don't think it is terribly severe, but I do wonder if you have any advice for managing this situation when my schedule is dominated by coursework, teaching, and work at a side job for which I can't readily find a stand-in for my shift. 

Please let me know what your tips and tricks are? 

Stay home and get well for your benefit as well as those around  you. A visit to the student health service may not be a terrible idea if you go during off peak hours.

For your classes, find two people who will take great notes for you. Buy coffee or a small treat for them when you're back your feet.

If you are teaching a section and you can't find someone to stand in for you, cancel it and make yourself available for a rescheduled session and prepare a learning aid and hold additional office hours when you're back on your feet.

As for the side job, assuming that you have the job with the knowledge and approval of your department and school (regardless if there's no fine print prohibiting additional jobs), talk to your manager. The productivity lost by the shop being down a person for a day or two may be preferable to a cold rolling through for the next couple of weeks.