Timeframe for a postdoc

Jagged

Can I still do a postdoc position even if I'm not a recent PhD grad?

I'm about to graduate with my PhD. I'd like to do a postdoc at a private company. I'm not interested in academia.

Before applying to postdocs though I'm thinking of going back to finish up my second bachelor's degree. Before I received my master's (and hopefully soon my PhD), I was in school for a second bachelor's degree. My first bachelor's degree was in arts, but I ended up working in technology and always wanted a BS related to the field I'm actually working in. I never finished it since I decided to get a master's instead.

It's kind of a waste, but I'm so close to finishing the second bachelor's. It would take me 2 semesters to finish it and I think if I don't do it now, I never will. If I finished the BS, I'd be applying for postdocs about a year after I received my PhD.

Edited by Jagged
Spelling

Personally, I feel like if it is that important to you where you would consider postponing the start of your career for yet another year, you would most likely find it important enough to take some classes spread over time to finish it later. A 2nd bachelor's is most likely not going to increase your marketability once you have a PhD. I don't think there is any rule barring you from completing a postdoc a year after graduating, but I'm assuming they would want to know why there was a gap. 

I worked during my PhD so I have some experience on my resume.

One other benefit I can think of is giving me extra time to publish more. I think I can spin two publications out of my dissertation. I think the data from one part of my dissertation is strong enough for a journal. Right now I only have 3 conference articles.

If you are sure you are headed to the private sector I don't really see the advantage of more publications. A question might be how much income would you be giving up over that year vs how much more would you make due to those pubs (and/or 2nd BS)?

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, AP said:

Why do you need that second Bachelor's if you already have a Master's and a PhD?

I agree. It sounds like the second bachelors is just to say you've got it. I highly doubt that after a masters and Ph.D it will add anything meaningful to your knowledge base or help you in your career. If it were one or two more courses I might see it, but a whole other year just seems like a waste of time and money. 

I'm a degree changer myself: I have an undergrad in linguistics but am getting my masters in speech-language pathology. I personally can't imagine going back to get a second bachelors in SLP when the masters degree is already giving me the knowledge base and credentials I need to move forward with my career.

Edited by bibliophile222