low GPA, and no major in communication disorders - but can I still be a SLP?

I'm in a pickle - Please help!

I recently graduated from university with a 2.8 GPA, and to make matters worse I don't have a Communication Disorders major (mine was a double major in Psychology and Biological Sciences). 
I only discovered my love of SLP in my last year of undergrad where I took a course and go introduced to the profession. I really want to work in this field but I'm very nervous about applying to schools. I would really like to get into grad school by next fall (September 2020). I also don't mind moving anywhere in the States to find a university that'll be the right fit for me!
Does anyone know of any schools that will accept a low GPA, but also have a comprehensive program where I wouldn't need to take an extra 2 years doing a bridge program to only then have to apply to a grad program?
Any help would be totally appreciated as I'm feeling really overwhelmed and a bit discouraged!
(PS, I've never taken the GRE as well and I'm hoping to start studying for it in November)

Hi! This may not be a huge help at all, but to be admitted in fall of 2020, most people take the GRE by late November. Many apps are due 12/15 or 1/1 and you must allow time for the GRE score to arrive to the school. I'd just double check all of that timing if I were you! I know many people who literally never studied for the GRE and are current grad students. You'll be great!

I have also seen a lot of people on this thread recommend taking a year and taking the CSD prerequisite courses, like speech science, phonetics, anatomy, etc. This would help your GPA and certainly help you get in with the experience. I'd also recommend doing related volunteer activities or shadowing. It's certainly not impossible, but I know a 3.0 seems to be the bare minimum in this field and even then, many schools like to see a 3.5. But again, anything is possible! Best of luck to you.

Because your major isn't in CSD, you would have to either do a leveling program first or an extended masters which is typically three years and the leveling year is first. They have one at the program I'm in at San Jose State. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!!

I was a CSD major, but in terms of the low GPA I was in the same place as you. I graduated with a 2.7 GPA (lower than you), and reading into the forums and talking to people to try to get help was very discouraging because many people told me that there was no chance that I was going to grad school. However, it only took a few people that shared their experiences to make me realize that GPA is not everything. So I told myself that if I ever got accepted into a program I would be that person for someone else!!

I took a year off to work on my application. I started a list of things I needed to apply and worked on one at a time and gave myself a deadline for each. That included studying REAL HARD for the GRE, writing a very provoking personal statement, and researching/reaching out to schools that would be willing to look at more than just GPA (they exist), getting a job working with the special needs population, and doing observation hours/building relationships with SLP's who will keep you motivated and be strong references for your application, and being very open minded to different programs + locations.

I got accepted to the first program that I applied to, and I found out last week. As long as you have the passion there is always a way for that to shine through, even beyond your GPA.

If this is really what you want to do, then there is always a way! Don't give up but also these things take time and if it doesn't happen for you in Sept 2020 like you hoped don't give up!!! Please message me if you want to talk more, but I totally have been in your shoes and I'm here to tell you it's possible!!!! 

• 2 years later...

Hi! @pinkypink thanks so much for your post. I am in the same predicament and needed to read those words of encouragement. Did u retake any courses to improve your GPA or any of the Pre-req courses that the Grad schools required? 

30 minutes ago, karenlizbeth said:

Hi! @pinkypink thanks so much for your post. I am in the same predicament and needed to read those words of encouragement. Did u retake any courses to improve your GPA or any of the Pre-req courses that the Grad schools required? 

Of course, I’m glad you found encouragement in my post! :) 

I had to retake 2 prerequisite courses I got under a B for prior to starting grad school.

im happy to say I just started my dream CF in acute care! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it :)

35 minutes ago, pinkypink said:

Of course, I’m glad you found encouragement in my post! :)

I had to retake 2 prerequisite courses I got under a B for prior to starting grad school.

im happy to say I just started my dream CF in acute care! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it :)

Thats so exciting! Congratulations!!

how did you go about retaking them? Did you go through university or Community College?