PhD Biostatistics: Please Review (First Post)!

Sarah43

I am very interested in pursuing biostatistics PhD for this coming year (2020). I realize I have a low gpa score but have a strong research record/work experience to compensate. I would really appreciate honest feedback about my chances for graduate school this coming year given that I can get very strong LORs.  

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 LAC

Major: Computer Science and Statistics

GPA: 3.56

Student: Domestic POC, female

Courses: Intro to Stat Modeling (A-), Intro Computer Science I (B+), Multivariable Calculus (A-), Intermediate Statistics (A-), Intro Computer Science II (B+), Linear Algebra (B-), Probability (B), Spatial Statistics (B+), Data Structures and Algorithms I (A-), Databases (A-), Theoretical Statistics (B+), Computer Systems (B+), Networks & Cryptography (A+), Data Structures and Algorithms II (B), Advanced Data Analysis (B+), Machine Learning (A-), Mobile Computing (B+). 

GRE: 161Q, 161 V, 4.5 Writing

Applying to: 

QBS PhD Program at Dartmouth

Ohio State University

Drexel University

George Washington University

Rutgers

Boston University

UMASS 

University of Pittsburg

UNC Chapel Hill

Virginia Commonwealth University

University of Maryland

Vanderbilt University

Emory University

Brown University

University of Pennsylvania

Do you think that could improve your GRE score? A mediocre GPA, few math classes, and a low GRE score is a tough combo, since those are the main ways to show your math ability. Getting a 165+ on the quantitative portion would probably help.

Even if you improve your GRE, without real analysis, you're not going to be accepted into UNC and I think it's highly unlikely you'll get into Brown, Vanderbilt, Penn or BU. (Vanderbilt and Brown both have very small programs, Ivies are very competitive regardless of ranking.)

What is the topic of your publications? Admissions committees at ranked biostats programs do not seem to care much about applied research experience or work experience, since those are so different than the type of stuff you do as a PhD student.

I am not familiar with most of the other programs you listed, but you may have success with them. For example, Maryland's is a PhD in biostatistics and bioinformatics. They may value your CS background and work experience.

29 minutes ago, omicrontrabb said:

Do you think that could improve your GRE score? A mediocre GPA, few math classes, and a low GRE score is a tough combo, since those are the main ways to show your math ability. Getting a 165+ on the quantitative portion would probably help.

Even if you improve your GRE, without real analysis, you're not going to be accepted into UNC and I think it's highly unlikely you'll get into Brown, Vanderbilt, Penn or BU. (Vanderbilt and Brown both have very small programs, Ivies are very competitive regardless of ranking.)

What is the topic of your publications? Admissions committees at ranked biostats programs do not seem to care much about applied research experience or work experience, since those are so different than the type of stuff you do as a PhD student.

I am not familiar with most of the other programs you listed, but you may have success with them. For example, Maryland's is a PhD in biostatistics and bioinformatics. They may value your CS background and work experience.

Just a heads up that Maryland's PhD in Biostatistics and Biostatistics requires the Math GRE. I think  it's probably the only one on your list that does.

I agree with omicrontrabb that boosting your quantitative GRE score would probably help. 

You might have luck with Dartmouth's QBS program, they have a slightly larger cohort than some of the other programs you're looking at (like Vanderbilt, Brown, UMass, Drexel which are usually ~4), and have people coming from different backgrounds.  I think the general focus of the department is more on epidemiology/bioinformatics than biostatistics though

First, I agree with previous replies, you'd be a much stronger applicant if you could increase your GRE quant score 4+ points. I realize that is much easier said than done. 

However, if you were able to increase your score to 165+, I feel like previous replies are a little pessimistic. With a reasonably strong GRE, my guess is lack of real analysis would not prove to be such a problem. As a point of clarification, there are PhD students at UNC who have not taken real analysis. Most have taken it, but off the top of my head, I can think of a handful without that background. My sense is those students got in on the strength of their letters of recommendation and research background. I doubt programs like Vanderbilt, BU, Penn, etc. would be materially different.

To the point about programs not caring about applied research/work experience, I do not think that is true in general. If your research/work experience demonstrates your potential as a independent researcher, it can be a strength of your application, particularly if it leads to very strong letters from your supervisors (ideally stat/biostat PhD supervisors).

Edited by gc2012

I agree with the early posters.  Your GPA is pretty low, including some key courses like linear algebra and probability. There are a few ways to help overcome this, including getting a near-170 GRE, doing well in advance math classes, and doing meaningful mathematical research, none of which you have. I'm not familiar with the Drexel/VCU programs, but even if you raise you GRE to a 165, I don't see you getting into the other biostatistics programs. 

The above poster is right that real analysis is not a insurmountable deal for lower ranked biostat programs, but you need to prove you can handle the math by increasing you GRE score a few points and getting some As in advanced math classes (or get a rigorous master's degree which you ace).

A couple of thoughts:

1) I know that some top LACs are known for grade deflation, so if you went to one of those then your GPA may not be a weakness.

2) You noted that you were a POC. If you are from a group that is traditionally underrepresented in higher education, there may be funding sources available to support your studies that are not accessible to many other students. In addition, many biostat programs view recruiting a diverse student body as a high priority. Hence, your results might be better than what might be expected purely based on your "top-line" numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses! What would be my chances of getting into a reputable Epidemiology program given that I complete my Masters? Would admissions in an Epidemiology PhD program perhaps be less competitive (at a school like Columbia or CUNY in New York) with my stats and continued research experience as a Data Analyst (Clinical Research)? 

I also agree that my GPA will be a limiting factor to my applications. I will try best to compensate with a better GRE score. 

21 hours ago, Sarah43 said:

What would be my chances of getting into a reputable Epidemiology program given that I complete my Masters? Would admissions in an Epidemiology PhD program perhaps be less competitive (at a school like Columbia or CUNY in New York) with my stats and continued research experience as a Data Analyst (Clinical Research)? 

I also agree that my GPA will be a limiting factor to my applications. I will try best to compensate with a better GRE score. 

You will get more of a response for Epidemiology in the Public Health section (Biostats is the odd one out in Public Health). What are you doing your masters in right now, or are you planning on applying to one? Most Epidemiology programs expect an MPH before applying to PhD.