How do you afford living costs in big cities?

I am applying to Yeshiva University in New York City and Saint Xavier in Chicago, IL.  As a grad students are budgets are tight and cities like Chicago and New York are expensive. What do you do for rent costs? Especially for NY. 

I can't speak for Chicago, but I've spent most of my life in Queens. If you're going to school at Yeshiva try looking for places in the Bronx because it's cheaper and not a far commute. Most people I know have roommates or work more than one job. You can also check craigslist. Despite having a lot of scams, my friend has found more then one apartment for under $1200 a month (in Queens) through Craigslist. It also really helps to know people and ask around once you've lived here and made friends with people who have lived here a long time. You can find cheaper apartments that way. Minimum wage is $15 an hour so get a part time job if necessary. Most people I know or that used to live there worked more than one job or worked crazy hours. I did this during undergrad to get by, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have to do it. Also check out Queens if you're willing to have a longer commute.