Fall 2020 Cognitive Psychology/Cognitive Neuroscience Applicants

xxming

Hey Y'all, 

I am not applying this cycle but I plan to apply to cognitive psych/cognitive neuroscience programs next year.

Background on me: I took two years off after undergrad to do research in a neurology/neuromuscular lab that is highly regarded but, as a result, I haven't done as much "actual" psychology work. I'm particularly interested in neurodegeneration in aging and using neuroimaging to identify correlations in the change in volume of different structures in the brain and cognitive functioning. By the time I apply I will have at least one poster and a paper in publication at a top tier journal. 

Questions: How far in advance are y'all reaching out to PI's and what have you said to them about yourself before you actually submit any applications? 

Any advice about applications is appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, itsannat said:

Hey Y'all, 

I am not applying this cycle but I plan to apply to cognitive psych/cognitive neuroscience programs next year.

Background on me: I took two years off after undergrad to do research in a neurology/neuromuscular lab that is highly regarded but, as a result, I haven't done as much "actual" psychology work. I'm particularly interested in neurodegeneration in aging and using neuroimaging to identify correlations in the change in volume of different structures in the brain and cognitive functioning. By the time I apply I will have at least one poster and a paper in publication at a top tier journal. 

Questions: How far in advance are y'all reaching out to PI's and what have you said to them about yourself before you actually submit any applications? 

Any advice about applications is appreciated!

I reached out to PI's starting in September/October with a personalized email template to each of them. I told them a bit about what I have been currently doing for research and expressed my interest in working with them, specifically asking questions about recent publications or saying my interests that seemed to align with theirs. Luckily with these emails I got on Skype calls with 4 potential PI's and have had great conversations that gave me a confidence boost to finish out the application season.

Here's to hoping for acceptance!

I submitted my application to Rutgers-Newark on November 27th. The PI I am interested in working with reached out to me yesterday saying she has reviewed my application and wanted to set up an informal Skype chat. We just finished chatting via Skype and she explained the next steps following our chat.

At the end of the week, PI's are required to submit a list of candidates they Skyped with to recommend to the program. It is then up to the admissions committee to decide whether they would like to formally interview the candidate or not. Interviews for Rutgers-Newark will be held in early February, and will likely be sent out early January. She said she was hoping to meet me in person. Hoping for good news ?

10 hours ago, Daph95 said:

I submitted my application to Rutgers-Newark on November 27th. The PI I am interested in working with reached out to me yesterday saying she has reviewed my application and wanted to set up an informal Skype chat. We just finished chatting via Skype and she explained the next steps following our chat.

At the end of the week, PI's are required to submit a list of candidates they Skyped with to recommend to the program. It is then up to the admissions committee to decide whether they would like to formally interview the candidate or not. Interviews for Rutgers-Newark will be held in early February, and will likely be sent out early January. She said she was hoping to meet me in person. Hoping for good news ?

Congradulations on the Skype interview! Thank you for sharing the information.

Would you mind telling us about what kinds of questions were asked during your chat?

9 hours ago, cccneuronccc said:

Congradulations on the Skype interview! Thank you for sharing the information.

Would you mind telling us about what kinds of questions were asked during your chat?

It was just an informal "get-to-know" me chat. I was asked about my interests, my experience and etc. Having previously reviewed my application, I was asked to explain my GRE scores (they were not so great), and explain if anything went wrong and why they did not go so well. After explaining, I was told she would make note about my GRE and pass my name on to the committee, should she recommend me for an interview. 

I just saw a post on the results page for Penn State cognitive psychology. However it wasn't mentioned if it was for a Skype interview or an invite to the recruitment weekend. Is that person on this forum, and would they mind telling me which it is?