Extra (>3) letters of rec

whitmanic

I'm applying to clinical psych PhD programs this cycle. I'm getting 3 letters of recommendation from faculty members in my current department. A fourth would be able to add background on me as a teaching assistant and human being, but I'm not sure if schools have any interest in reading a fourth (none seems to request more than 3). Is there any harm in sending a fourth letter anyway?

I would not advise it. 1. Most portals won't allow a 4th upload. 2. It gives the impression you can't follow directions 3. It probably won't be read even if you can submit it. 

If you truly think the information about your TAing will make an impact, you should opt to replace one of the other 3. However, most programs mostly care about your research experience. As cynical as this may sound, a letter speaking to you as a human being will probably not matter at all. Your research fit is 1 of the most critical pieces of the application. They'll examine your human-ness at the interview weekend if/when you get to that stage.