Am I doing this right??

Scared StringBean

Hey fam, I just got on here yesterday and it really freaked me out by making me feel like I am much less prepared for PhD apps compared to everyone else!

Here's what I have done/am doing:

-Almost done polishing all of my SoPs

-GRE done and scores are sent to the 6 schools I'm applying to (320; 5AW I'll take it)

-Requests for letters of recommendation sent weeks ago from 2 profs I've done research with and 1 that was my undergrad advisor and I was a TA for her class. I'm confident that one will be amazing and the other 2 will be strong

-Finished my major revision of a manuscript so I can say it's "in review" when I submit my apps (and it's a strong writing sample to submit)

-Finalized list of the 6 programs I'm applying to: 3 have POIs who indicate on their website that they are taking new grad students for fall of 2020, 1 is not an apprenticeship model, 1 you get assigned a temporary advisor first (potentially do rotations? not really sure but there are like 4 faculty whose research is really interesting to me) and 1 does not say anything on the website but I'm too scared to ask

Here's what I'm afraid about:

I haven't emailed any POI's! Particularly at the school that doesn't indicate if profs are taking on new grad students, but I don't want to ask because I'm really interested in her research and want to apply so I would rather just take the rejection than freak out about finding another program to replace it. The other schools it says on the websites and most of the lab sites are well updated such that I can see their current grants and projects so I don't have any questions. My mentor told me that you should only email POIs if you have a concrete question but everyone here talks as if it's life-or-death. I'm shy (with people I don't know) and personally don't want to come off as pushy, arrogant, or entitled. Also it's mid-November so I feel like there is no point now...

Another thing: I experienced health issues at the beginning of my senior year of college (fall 2018), so I medically withdrew, came back in the spring, wrote my thesis and submitted it to a journal, and still graduated on-time. Is this something I should mention on my app? I really don't want to bring attention to it because I don't want to share the details of the health condition and I don't want admissions/faculty to think it means I'm "unstable" (I'm perfectly healthy now!). 

If this makes a difference, I'm applying to developmental psych/human development programs. :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Scared StringBean said:

Hey fam, I just got on here yesterday and it really freaked me out by making me feel like I am much less prepared for PhD apps compared to everyone else!

Here's what I have done/am doing:

-Almost done polishing all of my SoPs

-GRE done and scores are sent to the 6 schools I'm applying to (320; 5AW I'll take it)

-Requests for letters of recommendation sent weeks ago from 2 profs I've done research with and 1 that was my undergrad advisor and I was a TA for her class. I'm confident that one will be amazing and the other 2 will be strong

-Finished my major revision of a manuscript so I can say it's "in review" when I submit my apps (and it's a strong writing sample to submit)

-Finalized list of the 6 programs I'm applying to: 3 have POIs who indicate on their website that they are taking new grad students for fall of 2020, 1 is not an apprenticeship model, 1 you get assigned a temporary advisor first (potentially do rotations? not really sure but there are like 4 faculty whose research is really interesting to me) and 1 does not say anything on the website but I'm too scared to ask

Here's what I'm afraid about:

I haven't emailed any POI's! Particularly at the school that doesn't indicate if profs are taking on new grad students, but I don't want to ask because I'm really interested in her research and want to apply so I would rather just take the rejection than freak out about finding another program to replace it. The other schools it says on the websites and most of the lab sites are well updated such that I can see their current grants and projects so I don't have any questions. My mentor told me that you should only email POIs if you have a concrete question but everyone here talks as if it's life-or-death. I'm shy (with people I don't know) and personally don't want to come off as pushy, arrogant, or entitled. Also it's mid-November so I feel like there is no point now...

Another thing: I experienced health issues at the beginning of my senior year of college (fall 2018), so I medically withdrew, came back in the spring, wrote my thesis and submitted it to a journal, and still graduated on-time. Is this something I should mention on my app? I really don't want to bring attention to it because I don't want to share the details of the health condition and I don't want admissions/faculty to think it means I'm "unstable" (I'm perfectly healthy now!). 

If this makes a difference, I'm applying to developmental psych/human development programs. :)

Thanks!

It seems like you're moving along fine! 

I don't think you should be worried about emailing POI's out of the five I emailed only one responded. Other than that I asked questions to graduate coordinators and they always got back to me! 

Also I don't think it's a necessary piece of information that needs to be added (your medical withdraw) if they notice a gap then they can ask at that time (so definitely have an answer you're comfortable sharing ready). 

I think you should go ahead an email them. It's not too late -- I got a responses from two PIs who want to set up a meetings to chat about my work before I apply yesterday. They're busy, we're busy. It's a little late, but don't worry about it too much. Don't get me wrong, it's super intimidating and I basically had a panic attack for each letter I sent ? But here are the benefits:

1. They get a chance to talk with you and connect with you before you apply. It puts a face and personality to your name/application, and, according to my mentor, makes them more likely to champion your application/fight for you to get in. I like this part because they get to see how excited I am, lol, and they seem to like that. 
  2. You learn more about the current direction their research is going. The papers they have published are snapshots of their research an unknown number of years/months ago. They could still be interested in the same things, they could not. You don't know. But if you find out, you have the chance to incorporate that into your personal statement. 
  3. Apparently some mentors will not admit students they haven't talked to. It's hard to tell from the outside who these individuals are. 
  4. If they know your current mentor, it's a chance to network. 
  5. In some places, it's an expected part of the process and not doing it is a faux pas. (Unless their program/web page says not to email, I would do it). 
  6. You get a sense of them as a person. Would they be good to work with? Are they kind? Are they supportive? How do they talk about their current/previous students? Getting in is one thing, being in an environment that supports finishing is another. 
  7. You get a sense of their mentoring style. There are a lot of great people in my field who I might share research interests with, but we're incompatible insofar as mentoring style goes. My ideal would be someone who will meet with me regularly (weekly, biweekly) but who is still pretty hands-off. I don't do well with someone who wants to micro-manage me and the direction my research takes (think the junior colleague model of mentoring). 

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of places in the application process where you can find these things out. But when you consider the benefits, I think the downsides don't mean much. 

Here's a thread on GradCafe from last year that helped me out a lot. I recommend taking a look:

2 hours ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

I think you should go ahead an email them. It's not too late -- I got a responses from two PIs who want to set up a meetings to chat about my work before I apply yesterday. They're busy, we're busy. It's a little late, but don't worry about it too much. Don't get me wrong, it's super intimidating and I basically had a panic attack for each letter I sent ? But here are the benefits:

1. They get a chance to talk with you and connect with you before you apply. It puts a face and personality to your name/application, and, according to my mentor, makes them more likely to champion your application/fight for you to get in. I like this part because they get to see how excited I am, lol, and they seem to like that. 
  2. You learn more about the current direction their research is going. The papers they have published are snapshots of their research an unknown number of years/months ago. They could still be interested in the same things, they could not. You don't know. But if you find out, you have the chance to incorporate that into your personal statement. 
  3. Apparently some mentors will not admit students they haven't talked to. It's hard to tell from the outside who these individuals are. 
  4. If they know your current mentor, it's a chance to network. 
  5. In some places, it's an expected part of the process and not doing it is a faux pas. (Unless their program/web page says not to email, I would do it). 
  6. You get a sense of them as a person. Would they be good to work with? Are they kind? Are they supportive? How do they talk about their current/previous students? Getting in is one thing, being in an environment that supports finishing is another. 
  7. You get a sense of their mentoring style. There are a lot of great people in my field who I might share research interests with, but we're incompatible insofar as mentoring style goes. My ideal would be someone who will meet with me regularly (weekly, biweekly) but who is still pretty hands-off. I don't do well with someone who wants to micro-manage me and the direction my research takes (think the junior colleague model of mentoring). 

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of places in the application process where you can find these things out. But when you consider the benefits, I think the downsides don't mean much. 

Here's a thread on GradCafe from last year that helped me out a lot. I recommend taking a look:

Thanks, I'm considering it, though I really don't want to. I feel like my application will make me stand out much more than a typical prospective grad student email, especially when developmental programs get much fewer applicants than clinical programs. Question: some programs there are multiple faculty that I can see myself happily working under, but I notice it's bad to contact multiple faculty from the same program. I'm listing all three potential mentors in my SoP, which I thought may increase my chances of admission if I name multiple people who could accept me. I feel like if I contact one whom I want to work with, then that would deter other mentors from wanting to take me on when I would be just as happy working with them. These are for programs in which the research focus of faculty may be slightly different, but similar enough that two or three faculty have research with large overlap with my current interests (and it says specifically to list 2-3 faculty whom I want to work with in the SoP). What should I do with these programs--email them all, email one, email none? I have no idea what I'm doing right now lol. I'll just feel really sad if I don't get in just because I didn't send an email... ? 

Edited by Scared StringBean

47 minutes ago, Scared StringBean said:

Thanks, I'm considering it, though I really don't want to. I feel like my application will make me stand out much more than a typical prospective grad student email, especially when developmental programs get much fewer applicants than clinical programs. Question: some programs there are multiple faculty that I can see myself happily working under, but I notice it's bad to contact multiple faculty from the same program. I'm listing all three potential mentors in my SoP, which I thought may increase my chances of admission if I name multiple people who could accept me. I feel like if I contact one whom I want to work with, then that would deter other mentors from wanting to take me on when I would be just as happy working with them. These are for programs in which the research focus of faculty may be slightly different, but similar enough that two or three faculty have research with large overlap with my current interests (and it says specifically to list 2-3 faculty whom I want to work with in the SoP). What should I do with these programs--email them all, email one, email none? I have no idea what I'm doing right now lol. I'll just feel really sad if I don't get in just because I didn't send an email... ? 

I've noticed some professors will explicitly ask you to email them if interested in their lab, usually on their lab website or faculty bio. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, and it could vary quite a bit depending on the program and the professor. Some faculty have a strict no communication policy with prospective students, some want to connect before apps are due. I'd say go with your gut. Unless the PI obviously requests an email, you'll probably be okay. It's also quite a bit late in the process and I've heard that emailing late can be a bad sign ?‍♀️

36 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I've noticed some professors will explicitly ask you to email them if interested in their lab, usually on their lab website or faculty bio. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, and it could vary quite a bit depending on the program and the professor. Some faculty have a strict no communication policy with prospective students, some want to connect before apps are due. I'd say go with your gut. Unless the PI obviously requests an email, you'll probably be okay. It's also quite a bit late in the process and I've heard that emailing late can be a bad sign ?‍♀️

Ok this is exactly what I thought! It's so tricky because none of the lab pages of faculty I'm interested in have explicitly stated for prospective students to contact them (with the exception of one who I'm not sure if she's even taking on new students--really a mistake not contacting her earlier but now I'm just going to submit the app without being too attached to those results). One faculty has on their page "contact me if you have any questions." And others just say "I will be reviewing applications for fall of 2020." I figure that because I don't have questions, sending a cliche email stating my research interests when they are going to read that in a few weeks on my SoP is pointless. But then again, my personality is very much "do everything to not be a burden." I was also told that it's a complete mistake to go on forums like these because it's a bunch of people sharing information that they think they know, but here I am. ? I feel like I'm a strong applicant and I wasn't questioning anything until two days ago when I got on here!

6 hours ago, Scared StringBean said:

I mean, I feel the same way about myself as an applicant (at least sometimes ?). I have weaknesses, but everyone I have contacted has been super excited to hear from me given my experience, my connections, and my expertise. But that isn't any reason to get complacent, you know? Sure, the admissions statistics are better than for clinical programs but that doesn't guarantee admission by any stretch. It comes down to a) how much your potential advisor wants you (read: fit) and b) whether they have funding. That requires selling yourself as a candidate. I'm aware that the people I'm competing against are probably excellent. Ultimately, my decision to contact PIs comes down to the fact that I am willing to do everything I can to get myself the opportunities I want. 

From what I've heard, contacting more than one person is fine, but contacting two people is slightly more acceptable than contacting three. It's better to be focused and know what you want from your PhD than to be an "anything goes" type of candidate. 

Ultimately this comes down to what feels right for you. If you feel contrived reaching out to a professor and don't think it would make an impact, I think that would translate into the message. I don't think contacting them prior to submitting the application is a make or break deal, unless it is explicitly mentioned in their program description. For example in UVA's developmental psychology program it says: "Prospective graduate students should visit the webpages of faculty with whom they are interested in working and contact those faculty members directly before applying." And if I recall correctly, Stanford has a strict 'do not contact the faculty' policy. Also, one of my current advisors who is a tenure-track professor mentioned that contacting her prior to the application doesn't make a huge impact, since she will read your materials anyways. It seems to be a grey zone, since there seems to be a lot of variation across programs and professors' preferences.

For me, I do realize that it is pretty close to the deadline, but I am still in the process of contacting professors (juggling these apps plus a full-time job has been brutal). I framed my email to introduce myself, what interested me about their work, my research interests, and a heads up that I am planning to apply to their lab. It feels like a gamble with each email I have sent, but I agree with all that @amazingbutternutsquash mentioned in their earlier post. It has been validating and reassuring to get feedback from your faculty of interest, especially when they are enthusiastic and encourage you to apply. I even have one professor trying to schedule a meeting with me this late in the game! Also, some professors have been kind to connect me to their grad students, and this has been wonderful because their input has helped me get a better sense whether the culture if the program align with my values (which helped me tremendously with organizing which programs are my top choices).

All of this to say, trust your gut and whatever you choose that feels right will be best for you and your application.

Best of luck!

Edited by emotional

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I ended up emailing one, as this school is important to me and it follows the apprenticeship model. Response was the typical "look forward to reading your application." If anyone is grappling with the same dilemma I faced, know that I don't regret sending this email but I don't think it was necessary. I emailed the coordinator at another program asking what she thought about emailing PI's, and she said to do so only to ask if they were taking new students if it did not already indicate that on the faculty webpage. Ultimately, it seems like for my schools, not emailing is not life-or-death (though of course we shall see about that!!). If I don't get in this cycle, you betcha I'll be emailing people in August/September. 

But on that note, I'm gonna take a break from looking at this website. While helpful for some things, I think it just got me comparing myself way too much to people who are essentially in the same boat as I am. I think it elicited more anxiety than I need for right now, just gotta trust myself and my current mentors. :)

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by Scared StringBean
want to remove as much potentially identifying info as possible

On 11/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, Scared StringBean said:

Ok this is exactly what I thought! It's so tricky because none of the lab pages of faculty I'm interested in have explicitly stated for prospective students to contact them (with the exception of one who I'm not sure if she's even taking on new students--really a mistake not contacting her earlier but now I'm just going to submit the app without being too attached to those results). One faculty has on their page "contact me if you have any questions." And others just say "I will be reviewing applications for fall of 2020." I figure that because I don't have questions, sending a cliche email stating my research interests when they are going to read that in a few weeks on my SoP is pointless. But then again, my personality is very much "do everything to not be a burden." I was also told that it's a complete mistake to go on forums like these because it's a bunch of people sharing information that they think they know, but here I am. ? I feel like I'm a strong applicant and I wasn't questioning anything until two days ago when I got on here!

LOL! GradCafe is not necessarily a reputable source, thats for sure. And it can cause a ton of self-doubt. Take breaks from this site as the application cycle continues on - I was mildly obsessed with checking GC every day last cycle and it was not great for my mental health! Best of luck. Just remember there is not a definitive right or wrong, do what feels best for you :)