Feeling overwhelmed - End of my first semester as PhD student

Adelaide9216

Hello,

I am starting to feel overwhelmed (end of my first semester as a PhD student). I have two papers to write. I have a book chapter to turn in as a co-author (I was invited to contribute to a book that's exactly related to my doctoral work, I could not say no). I also have my research assistantship.

:(

• 1 month later...

Your first year in a PhD program can be tough, particularly with everything new being presented to you. I’ve found that if I focus on my passion for my research, I feel a lot better. It’s also great to have friends outside of grad school who can remind you how awesome and difficult what you’re doing is. I still remember telling my friend (who had never even considered going to grad school) that I was helping write a chapter for a book. She freaked out about how cool that seemed because it is something so unusual to a lot of people outside of academia. That instantly made me feel so much better! 

I got two As for my classes last term. But I have this same feeling of overwhelmedness at the beginning of every semester as well lol.

But I do feel grateful for being able to do this. Sometimes, I just sit and tell myself how grateful I am because I really am passionnate about the things I do.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

I am starting to feel overwhelmed (end of my first semester as a PhD student). I have two papers to write. I have a book chapter to turn in as a co-author (I was invited to contribute to a book that's exactly related to my doctoral work, I could not say no). I also have my research assistantship.

:(

I can definitely relate. It feels somewhat similar to an all-consuming relationship. You give it your all and see very few benefits at first (long hours, debt, exhaustion, tough workload), but the amazing thing about this whole process is how you’ll come out of it on the other side, stronger mentally and emotionally, and making incredible contributions to society. We need people like you. We started this journey for a purpose, whatever purpose that may be. Somewhere out there, there’s someone waiting for you to solve problem X, improve intervention Y, or run experiment Z. Your time is coming, so think of the brunt work and the trials of grad school as a marathon. No need to sprint. Just take it one step at a time.