What effect does two Ws have on my transcript?

nicolediercks14

Question

I am currently a Psychology major (junior) and am stressing about whether or not to withdraw from a class that I might get a C in.

It’s been a roller coaster deciding my career path but I have finally decided on attending a Ph. D. program for clinical (or forensic) psychology after my undergrad. It should be noted that I also plan on either doing Post Bacc or getting my Masters to boost my resume with research and letters of rec to further show my dedication to applying to a Clinical Psychology Ph. D. program (as I know they are very competitive). 

I started out planning on Med School, but Sophomore year I changed my path to Physicians Assistant school, withdrawing from my Physics class which I was about to receive a C in. I changed my major to Psychology (because I loved psychology) and planned on just filling my electives with the science classes necessary for PA programs (i.e. organismal bio, organic chem, etc.).

Here I am, now a junior, and after getting into my psychology classes and assisting with some research, I decided that psychology was my passion. BUT I am in a crisis as I am currently enrolled in Microbiology (as one of my electives) and I may get a C in the course. I have a 3.87 but, if I receive a C I will be bumped down to a 3.75 and that worries me for applying to not only a masters/post bacc programs but also a PhD programs. I know it is still a relatively high GPA but I really want to increase my competitiveness as much as possible and strive to get as close to a 4.0 as I can.

I guess my question is, if I withdraw from this class, will graduate programs (masters/post bacc/phd) care? I would have two Ws on my transcript and although they are not considered to be classes relevant to my major, it still worries me. PLEASE HELP! 

2 answers to this question

I think it makes sense for you to withdraw if you believe you'll get a C. While multiple Ws aren't great, if you're planning on doing a masters, some research, etc before applying to grad school those factors should outweigh those 2 courses, particularly since they're not related to psychology. If you continue to keep your GPA in the 3.8 range, do well on the GRE, and get a good amount of research experience, you should be okay. If you don't withdraw, a 3.75 is still a good GPA. Either way, you're not going to ruin your chances.

Hi!

I know I am posting this a little late, but I had similar anxieties. I had 2 W's on my transcript my freshman year due to switching my major, and I had one this past semester for a Pass/Fail course that I realized I did not need for my major or minor. I shared my anxieties with my advisor, and she said that a W looks ALOT better than a C or an F, especially since the best of the best are applying to these programs. In my case where I dropped one course due to it not having significance to my major, this is something you can explain in a personal statement or an interview. You can even ask your letter writers to throw something in there if you want. 

I think grad schools are alot more concerned with Personal Statements, Research experience, etc. Good luck!!