Aerospace Engineering MS/PhD Fall 2020 applicants Megathread

askker

On 12/8/2019 at 10:46 PM, askker said:

Hey guys,

Haven't seen anyone post it yet, so I'll do it. I saw someone has already get offered from Umich! Congratulations! Share your background and discuss anything on applying to aerospace programs!

Undergrad Institution: 
Concentration: 
Overall GPA: x.xx / 4.00

Where you applied:
Demographics/Background: International Student with US degree

GRE Scores: 

Research Experiences: 

LOR: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

as for myself:

Undergrad Institution:  UIUC Aerospace
Concentration: ML, Control, Autonomy
Overall GPA: 4.00 / 4.00

Where you applied: Stanford(MS), MIT(MS), Caltech(PhD), Gatech(MS), Umich(MS), UIUC(MS), Purdue (MS)

GRE Scores: V158 Q170 W3.5

Research Experiences: 1x cfd, 1x aircraft icing, 1x reinforcement learning + autonomous vehicles

LOR: 3 from three research advisors (1 is not on tenure track though)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing special, dean's list etc.

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

Hey askker, I'm an undergraduate in UIUC interested in CFD and plan on pursuing an doctroal degree in the field. Which professor did you have for the CFD research? I emailed professor Freund but he isnt't taking any undergrad rigth now...

MIT cancelled their Grad Open House for AeroAstro. They will reimburse funds and are attempt to make parts of the program "virtual". I was going to attend a private visit later in March as I cannot make the scheduled one which is March 13/14  so not sure if they will advise me to not come as an individual??

15 hours ago, Starie said:

MIT cancelled their Grad Open House for AeroAstro. They will reimburse funds and are attempt to make parts of the program "virtual". I was going to attend a private visit later in March as I cannot make the scheduled one which is March 13/14  so not sure if they will advise me to not come as an individual??

Same.

I'm hoping I can visit the campus (as an individual) before April. Have you heard anything about limitations on individual visits?

On 12/9/2019 at 10:16 AM, askker said:

Hey guys,

Haven't seen anyone post it yet, so I'll do it. I saw someone has already get offered from Umich! Congratulations! Share your background and discuss anything on applying to aerospace programs!

Undergrad Institution: 
Concentration: 
Overall GPA: x.xx / 4.00

Where you applied:

GRE Scores: 

Research Experiences: 

LOR: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

as for myself:

Undergrad Institution:  UIUC Aerospace
Concentration: ML, Control, Autonomy
Overall GPA: 4.00 / 4.00

Where you applied: Stanford(MS), MIT(MS), Caltech(PhD), Gatech(MS), Umich(MS), UIUC(MS), Purdue (MS)

GRE Scores: V158 Q170 W3.5

Research Experiences: 1x cfd, 1x aircraft icing, 1x reinforcement learning + autonomous vehicles

LOR: 3 from three research advisors (1 is not on tenure track though)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing special, dean's list etc.

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

Any idea when will Fall 2020 start at US universities?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, vasan03 said:

Any idea when will Fall 2020 start at US universities?

@vasan03 every university is just seeing how the virus situation goes before editing their start dates for fall. For now, assume they are what is listed on each university website (generally late August). That would mean you would want to move to the area in late July or early August if nothing changes. 

But this is subject to change at any time, so don't buy flight tickets just yet!

Also, I officially accepted an offer with CU Boulder last week for a PhD coadvised by Dr. Palo and Dr. France. How many others will be attending CU Boulder in the fall? 

• 2 weeks later...

It is official! After a very tough decision making process and an excellent choice of some exciting schools including Georgia Tech, Purdue, MIT and CU Boulder, I finally chose the University of Michigan to pursue my doctoral degree in Aerospace Engineering at the UM's
Plasmadynamics and Electric Propulsion Lab. I did not share this information readily as  I did not want to discourage you all on this thread and I know many of you were anxiously awaiting responses from the various schools you applied to and I was very blessed with full funding early on at all the schools I applied to and then the tough part began. My visits to U Mich and MIT were cancelled and even though I had visited U Mich in early November as part of an outreach, I had not spent enough time with people in the area I wanted to eventually research. GT was well known to me and I was called early on and told I had a spot reserved for me. MIT was a complete surprise but a very flattering one. In the end, Michigan was just a better fit for me and their funding package is the best and most complete of all the other schools. I am excited but also hope this really happens as already I had heard that Michigan State is only online for Fall. Just a waiting game at this point to see what UMich does. Again, I apologize for not being forthcoming sooner. I wish you all the best of the best for your educational careers wherever you attend. I spoke privately with a few of you and I sincerely hope you are safe and well and that your educational plans work out for the best!

• 2 weeks later...

@Starie that is tough news! I'm sorry that you have to go through that for the fall. It will not be an easy start to grad school. Hopefully some of the social things will start opening up over time so you can make those vital connections. 

I'm still waiting on my side. CU Boulder is not sure yet on what they will do, they are still weighing options. We'll see....

Edited by Phoenix88