Aerospace Engineering MS/PhD Fall 2020 applicants Megathread

askker

3 hours ago, vasan03 said:

Congrats!. Did you apply to Caltech? If yes did you hear anything from them?

It seems like Caltech is giving out admits right now. But I haven't been interviewed yet, so I think there is no chance for me. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:29 PM, mdad said:

Daughter just got the email from MIT got into the PhD aero program with fellowship 

That is great news! I know you mentioned she wants Cal Tech and was awarded a fellowship at MIT. Was she already assigned an advisor at MIT? Just wondered this as i was awarded a research assistantship with funding for a specific lab for a Master's since they don't direct admit for a Ph.D unless you have a Master's.

2 hours ago, Starie said:

That is great news! I know you mentioned she wants Cal Tech and was awarded a fellowship at MIT. Was she already assigned an advisor at MIT? Just wondered this as i was awarded a research assistantship with funding for a specific lab for a Master's since they don't direct admit for a Ph.D unless you have a Master's.

I am not sure, will have to ask. I know that they invited her for a visit, but it is the week before finals, and she hates flying, so she might decline.

8 hours ago, Starie said:

Asked, she said that she was assigned three advisors. but no specific lab.

Correction though, she was admitted to MIT for the Master's program, not PhD.

Edited by mdad
add correction

On 2/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, DracoMalfoy said:

It seems like Caltech is giving out admits right now. But I haven't been interviewed yet, so I think there is no chance for me. 

I'm in the same boat here for both MIT and Caltech! But I wasn't hedging my bets too much on them, so I'll still wait and see what happens. 

11 hours ago, mdad said:

Asked, she said that she was assigned three advisors. but no specific lab.

Correction though, she was admitted to MIT for the Master's program, not PhD.

Were there any international students on the visit day of Caltech?

1 hour ago, vasan03 said:

How did you come to know about this? Did you mail them? What about international students who applied to MS?

Like everyone is talking about no international student has attended visit day, plus if you look at the gradcafe results all of the admits are "A", not a single one is "U" or "I"

8 hours ago, askker said:

Like everyone is talking about no international student has attended visit day, plus if you look at the gradcafe results all of the admits are "A", not a single one is "U" or "I"

It might be the case that the international students who applied for either the MS or Ph.D. program will be intimated once they are done with selecting the students with 'A'. The major reason being not be able to arrange campus visits for the international students. If have not selected any international students they might have at least send a rejection email which probably no one has got yet. So probably we can expect a decision through mail this week or a week after this.

1 hour ago, vasan03 said:

It might be the case that the international students who applied for either the MS or Ph.D. program will be intimated once they are done with selecting the students with 'A'. The major reason being not be able to arrange campus visits for the international students. If have not selected any international students they might have at least send a rejection email which probably no one has got yet. So probably we can expect a decision through mail this week or a week after this.

Yes you are definitely making a point why “I” students didn’t hear anything. My point being, not all international students are unable to attend the visit day. Like myself, I am an international student with a US degree. I’m currently in US and definitely could attend the visit day ( “U student by gradcafe”) I believe there are many “U” international students like me and apparently none of them has reported an admit.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, Starie said:

@Phoenix88  What did you think about CU Boulder?? I thought this was their visit weekend just past.

@Starie I really enjoyed the visit! The professors were super friendly, as well as the students. And the area is really beautiful. CU Boulder is a beautiful campus, and the mountains just enhance it! It's solidly still on the top of my list. 

On 12/9/2019 at 10:16 AM, askker said:

Hey guys,

Haven't seen anyone post it yet, so I'll do it. I saw someone has already get offered from Umich! Congratulations! Share your background and discuss anything on applying to aerospace programs!

Undergrad Institution: 
Concentration: 
Overall GPA: x.xx / 4.00

Where you applied:
Demographics/Background: International Student with US degree

GRE Scores: 

Research Experiences: 

LOR: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

as for myself:

Undergrad Institution:  UIUC Aerospace
Concentration: ML, Control, Autonomy
Overall GPA: 4.00 / 4.00

Where you applied: Stanford(MS), MIT(MS), Caltech(PhD), Gatech(MS), Umich(MS), UIUC(MS), Purdue (MS)
Demographics/Background: International Student with US degree

GRE Scores: V158 Q170 W3.5

Research Experiences: 1x cfd, 1x aircraft icing, 1x reinforcement learning + autonomous vehicles

LOR: 3 from three research advisors (1 is not on tenure track though)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing special, dean's list etc.

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

Hello Askker, I recently got phd admission offer at UIUC. Can you please tell me how is prof. Saxton Fox as guide and as a person? Also how is prof. Laura Villafane Roca? 

Rejections from Caltech and MIT here. Not terribly surprised, they were reach schools. Still waiting on UT Austin's decision, but at this point, I'm between ERAU and CU Boulder for decision making. 

6 hours ago, Phoenix88 said:

Rejections from Caltech and MIT here. Not terribly surprised, they were reach schools. Still waiting on UT Austin's decision, but at this point, I'm between ERAU and CU Boulder for decision making. 

Awesome about CU Boulder!!! You got a solid offer after visit weekend! I head there Monday. Excited to see the labs etc and the gorgeous mountains.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:12 AM, Starie said:

Awesome about CU Boulder!!! You got a solid offer after visit weekend! I head there Monday. Excited to see the labs etc and the gorgeous mountains.

@Starie I actually didn't receive an offer yet... I'm still waiting on the offer, as professors are waiting on their current students to get fellowships. But even without the offer, the visit day helped show me that it would be a great place to go, and the professors and students were very accommodating and welcoming. 

I hope you enjoy your visit there! It should be a wonderful time for you.