Aerospace Engineering MS/PhD Fall 2020 applicants Megathread

askker

I did but they only offered $250 toward transportation reimbursement ( Compared to $550 from Purdue!) and I am super busy and would have to take the entire Thursday and Friday to get there. I have already phone interviewed with a potential advisor anyhow who actually reached out to me over the holidays so while I wish I could go I don't think I will.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, askker said:

Hey guys,

Haven't seen anyone post it yet, so I'll do it. I saw someone has already get offered from Umich! Congratulations! Share your background and discuss anything on applying to aerospace programs!

Undergrad Institution: 
Concentration: 
Overall GPA: x.xx / 4.00

Where you applied:
Demographics/Background: International Student with US degree

GRE Scores: 

Research Experiences: 

LOR: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

as for myself:

Undergrad Institution:  UIUC Aerospace
Concentration: ML, Control, Autonomy
Overall GPA: 4.00 / 4.00

Where you applied: Stanford(MS), MIT(MS), Caltech(PhD), Gatech(MS), Umich(MS), UIUC(MS), Purdue (MS)
Demographics/Background: International Student with US degree

GRE Scores: V158 Q170 W3.5

Research Experiences: 1x cfd, 1x aircraft icing, 1x reinforcement learning + autonomous vehicles

LOR: 3 from three research advisors (1 is not on tenure track though)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing special, dean's list etc.

Anything else:

Research Interests: 

Very impressive application dude. I think you can get into any school you want. Caltech is always a toss up because of how small they are and it depends on the professors' research compatibility. That said I wouldn't be surprised if you got into any of those schools. What advice would you have on how to succeed academically like you have?

Edited by Dfawkes

12 hours ago, Starie said:

I did but they only offered $250 toward transportation reimbursement ( Compared to $550 from Purdue!) and I am super busy and would have to take the entire Thursday and Friday to get there. I have already phone interviewed with a potential advisor anyhow who actually reached out to me over the holidays so while I wish I could go I don't think I will.

Starie, 

It's too bad that you couldn't make it! I also got an interview over the phone from a potential advisor; I think it's to gauge your interest in the university in general before sending the invite to this event. I think it would be beneficial to go if you could make it at all, as it seems somewhat competitive. They don't admit PhDs unless they are fully funded, so that limits the field. Many applicants are firstly accepted into the MS program, and only later become a PhD. 

But at the same time, the $250 limit was a bit frustrating for me too! The flights from my city tend to be somewhat expensive, so I had to book a flight for that Wednesday night and crash at an acquaintance's place (thank goodness for conference networking!). It's difficult to find ways to keep it cheap. 

Overall, if CU Boulder is one of your top schools, maybe reach out to them and see if they could give you more funding if you could clear some time to go. If not, then the advisor who is interested in you should pull for you anyway. 

Hi Phoenix!

Thanks for your insight and response about my conundrum.

Ironically, I did email the potential advisor (who I interviewed with and exchanged multiple emails with) and they did offer to help financially beyond the $250.  With three solid acceptances and two of those fully funded, I just am having to prioritize. It has been tough as I am also working on dual degrees as I finish up at my current university. While I am impressed with CU Boulder and want to give it a fair chance, I am not certain the work is what I want to do for the next 4-5 years so I need to really think it over. It really is more of a time crunch and multiple responsibilities issue with my current school rather than the money alone that is driving my decision. Having said that, I really want to visit Boulder! It looks like a vibrant and interesting community.

Still pondering.....

5 hours ago, Starie said:

Ironically, I did email the potential advisor (who I interviewed with and exchanged multiple emails with) and they did offer to help financially beyond the $250.  With three solid acceptances and two of those fully funded, I just am having to prioritize. It has been tough as I am also working on dual degrees as I finish up at my current university. While I am impressed with CU Boulder and want to give it a fair chance, I am not certain the work is what I want to do for the next 4-5 years so I need to really think it over. It really is more of a time crunch and multiple responsibilities issue with my current school rather than the money alone that is driving my decision. Having said that, I really want to visit Boulder! It looks like a vibrant and interesting community.

Still pondering.....

I'm glad that they were able to accommodate your request. But I do understand that things get hectic right before graduation. I'm also working on two different research projects, as well as senior design and other classes! I hope things calm down for you soon. 

If you decide to go visit (since it seems like you do have some interest, even if it's not your top school), or just want to chat about Boulder in general, feel free to message me! 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, Dfawkes said:

Very impressive application dude. I think you can get into any school you want. Caltech is always a toss up because of how small they are and it depends on the professors' research compatibility. That said I wouldn't be surprised if you got into any of those schools. What advice would you have on how to succeed academically like you have?

Yeah honestly I am losing hope for Caltech. There are probably dozens of 4.0s with master's degrees lining up to compete for that spot. My 2 cents on grad school application is probably plan early. Make plans for the four years, including classes and researches. Make sure work loads are evened out over the semesters, start looking for research early and make intermediate goals to achieve. Also make plans for each semesters, look ahead and start working on homeworks as soon as they are made availiable, so that you can move things around more easily.

Then with those guides all you need to do is put in the work, and hope for the best!

On 1/30/2020 at 5:28 AM, askker said:

Yeah honestly I am losing hope for Caltech. There are probably dozens of 4.0s with master's degrees lining up to compete for that spot. My 2 cents on grad school application is probably plan early. Make plans for the four years, including classes and researches. Make sure work loads are evened out over the semesters, start looking for research early and make intermediate goals to achieve. Also make plans for each semesters, look ahead and start working on homeworks as soon as they are made availiable, so that you can move things around more easily.

Then with those guides all you need to do is put in the work, and hope for the best!

Any idea on when can we expect decision from Caltech? When have students got their decision from Caltech in past years?

14 minutes ago, vasan03 said:

Any idea on when can we expect decision from Caltech? When have students got their decision from Caltech in past years?

It seems like in recent years, admittance/waitlist generally comes mid-February, and denials come in late February/early March. However, it looks like every once in a while, someone is accepted in March (probably due to someone else turning down admission). 

I'm also waiting on Caltech, but it seems like they have a lot of applicants this year, and I'm not hedging my bets on it. 

I was wondering about MIT but I honestly don't think I would go there now( not that I will get in lol!) as they only allow a Master's admit and I am worried about funding. The other programs I have been accepted to seem more up front about funding. I really don't want to have to worry from year to year about whether or not my funding will  be renewed.

11 hours ago, Starie said:

I was wondering about MIT but I honestly don't think I would go there now( not that I will get in lol!) as they only allow a Master's admit and I am worried about funding. The other programs I have been accepted to seem more up front about funding. I really don't want to have to worry from year to year about whether or not my funding will  be renewed.

Wait does MIT not accept any outside PhD students? Similar to what Stanford did?

On 1/24/2020 at 7:14 AM, BuL said:

@Phoenix88 any news from Embry Riddle? Applied for its Ph.D. AE as well 

Just heard back from them! An acceptance with good funding :) 

I also got an acceptance from Univ. of Arizona this past Thursday, but no funding yet. Still waiting on Caltech, MIT, ISU, and UT-Austin. 

Congratulations!!! My campus visits are getting totally crowded and I may be pulling a two visit, multiple city trip over my Spring Break just to get them all in. I know the new head of engineering at University of Arizona; he is doing great things there! Exciting times ahead!

On 2/3/2020 at 7:48 PM, Phoenix88 said:

It seems like in recent years, admittance/waitlist generally comes mid-February, and denials come in late February/early March. However, it looks like every once in a while, someone is accepted in March (probably due to someone else turning down admission). 

I'm also waiting on Caltech, but it seems like they have a lot of applicants this year, and I'm not hedging my bets on it. 

Did anyone hear from Caltech?

On 1/30/2020 at 5:28 AM, askker said:

Did anyone hear from Caltech?

Waitiing to hear back from University of Southern California. 

I don't think that I have sufficient undergraduate courses based on my major (missing Heat Transfers, for example) so expect to get rejected in Aerospace Engineering. Holding out most hope for Product Development Engineering.

7 hours ago, askker said:

I haven’t. I believe they won’t sent out offers until Feb 20th this year. So does MIT. 

Caltech do have a MS program in Space Engineering and Aeronautics. Are the decisions for MS and Ph.D. out at the same time?

On 2/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Momo1111 said:

Has anyone heard from Umich aeroE? Recently had an interview with a POI and the waiting game is killing me. 

I haven’t gotten a reply yet, just an email saying that they are still reviewing my application. I would think that since you had an interview that they should get back to you relatively quickly. Perhaps within a week or so.

Edited by Kyle57

On 1/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, askker said:

Yeah I guess that make sense as he is the only one doing control there. Do you mind sharing your back ground? Feel free to use the template!

Undergrad Institution:  - Top institute in my country. 
Concentration: Control theory, Motion planning, Estimation theory, Autonomy
Overall GPA: 3.64 / 4.00

Where you applied: -
Demographics/Background: International Undergraduate Student

GRE Scores: V155 Q170 W3.5

Research Experiences: 1x reinforcements learning, 1x estimation theory, 1x motion planning+ autonomous aerial vehicles

LOR: 3 strong LORs from three research advisors (1 from a Distinguished professor)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: -

Anything else:

Research interests: Control theory, Motion planning, Estimation theory, Autonomy

Publications:  6 publications. 3 first author papers at top venues and one journal at AIAA JGCD.