FALL 2020 BUSINESS PHD APPLICANTS

usphd1920

Hello,

I am planning to apply for Management Programs. This is my first time applying to PHD programs.  I completed my MBA 5 years back and have been working since then.  I have lots of industry experience but no research experience.  My main interests are strategy, family business and entrepreneurship.

I have applied to these schools:

University of Texas, Dallas
Mississippi State University
UC, Berkeley
UC, Irvine
University of Nevada, Reno
Victoria Commonwealth University
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
University of North Carolina, Greensboro

Have had contact with few PhD coordinators.  Submitted four applications so far, working on the remaining.  Hoping to finish by the 31st of December. 

Hoping to hear from others in the same boat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Salutations fellow Ph.D. applicants!

It is quite difficult to find active forums of any kind for our discipline! I am also applying for management programs and strategy programs. I applied to 9 schools (7 US / 2 CAN) and have not heard back yet. Honestly, the waiting is quite excruciating, but in previous years it seems like others didn't hear back until February so its probably of less concern than it feels like.

Good luck to all of you! Hope you hear from your top schools in the upcoming days.

6 hours ago, Dfrost said:

Salutations fellow Ph.D. applicants!

It is quite difficult to find active forums of any kind for our discipline! I am also applying for management programs and strategy programs. I applied to 9 schools (7 US / 2 CAN) and have not heard back yet. Honestly, the waiting is quite excruciating, but in previous years it seems like others didn't hear back until February so its probably of less concern than it feels like.

Good luck to all of you! Hope you hear from your top schools in the upcoming days.

I agree it can be difficult! I've been keeping an eye on here and urch.com. definitely an excruciating wait. Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress! ?

Hey guys! I might be a little late to the party. I'm applying to OB and management and organizations programs for fall 2020. I applied to 11 programs total. 

So far I've heard from two. South Carolina and VCU. I was wondering if anyone has heard from Michigan Ross or Cornell ILR yet?

Hi everyone,

Thanks @usphd1920 for creating this thread. It is great to have an online community as we wait to hear back. I only applied to 4 programs (see below) and haven't heard back from any yet. These applications are timely to put together, so kudos to all who applied to more! We have quite a diverse list of programs here, where are you all hoping to land? 

I pulled this template from the 2019 thread. It is bound to be an exciting few weeks for all of us. 

Applied (04/04) : Management/OB - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of California Irvine, Arizona State University and University of Miami.

Interviewed (0/04):

Admitted (0/04) : 

Wait-listed (0/04) : 

Rejected (0/04) : 

Final Decision (0/04) :

Edited by maverick__

17 hours ago, maverick__ said:

It is bound to be an exciting few weeks for all of us. 

Or a tormenting few weeks depending on how you look at it ?

Jokes aside, my programs are all over the place, but I didn't really create a list of top choices because I didn't want to be AS disappointed if I was rejected from a lot of them. I did apply to Chapel Hill as well though, they seem like they have a nice program! I applied to the strategy program though rather than the OB discipline

Edited by Dfrost

Hello everyone!

Thanks for creating this forum and contributing to it. I applied to eight schools (6 in the US and 2 in Canada) and I have not heard back yet. The specializations/departments to which I applied in those eight schools are Organizational Behavior/Organization Studies/Management and Organizations. I hope we hear from them soon.

Wish you the best!

On 1/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, maverick__ said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks @usphd1920 for creating this thread. It is great to have an online community as we wait to hear back. I only applied to 4 programs (see below) and haven't heard back from any yet. These applications are timely to put together, so kudos to all who applied to more! We have quite a diverse list of programs here, where are you all hoping to land? 

I pulled this template from the 2019 thread. It is bound to be an exciting few weeks for all of us. 

Applied (04/04) : Management/OB - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of California Irvine, Arizona State University and University of Miami.

Interviewed (0/04):

Admitted (0/04) : 

Wait-listed (0/04) : 

Rejected (0/04) : 

Final Decision (0/04) :

Hey there. I also applied to ASU and Miami :). Good luck!

14 hours ago, Meraki said:

An active thread for business PhD applicants, awesome!

I'm a current OB PhD student. Good luck to everyone! 

Thank you for your support, there is a lot of anxiety around here (for me at least), but we all want to grow up to be like you. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific tips about interviews in this discipline? Most of the guides and podcasts seem to be for hard sciences like chemistry which I understand are a bit different. 

Hope everything is going well in your program so far! 

10 hours ago, Dfrost said:

Thank you for your support, there is a lot of anxiety around here (for me at least), but we all want to grow up to be like you. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific tips about interviews in this discipline? Most of the guides and podcasts seem to be for hard sciences like chemistry which I understand are a bit different. 

Hope everything is going well in your program so far! 

Hi! I am also an OB applicant this year - I applied for 13 schools and only heard from 2 of them. Besides, I messed up my first interview as it was my first PhD interview ever lol. Have you heard from any program yet? 

4 hours ago, grace1234 said:

Hi! I am also an OB applicant this year - I applied for 13 schools and only heard from 2 of them. Besides, I messed up my first interview as it was my first PhD interview ever lol. Have you heard from any program yet? 

Also an OB applicant. Applied to 11 and heard from two

16 hours ago, grace1234 said:

I'm also an OB applicant. Goodluck!

1 hour ago, InterstellarPhD said:

Hey @grace1234! What went wrong with your interview? Did they ask some technical questions?

They asked me very general questions like "why did you select our school? Will you come to our school if we accept you?". What made me feel worried/unsafe is that when I introduced my research interests, they cut me off before I went to specific research questions and moved on. So I didn't get a chance to introduce my specific research interests - I'm very concerned that they are not interested in my research lol And I definitely messed up when I introduced my past research experiences - a bit disorganized. 

10 minutes ago, grace1234 said:

They asked me very general questions like "why did you select our school? Will you come to our school if we accept you?". What made me feel worried/unsafe is that when I introduced my research interests, they cut me off before I went to specific research questions and moved on. So I didn't get a chance to introduce my specific research interests - I'm very concerned that they are not interested in my research lol And I definitely messed up when I introduced my past research experiences - a bit disorganized. 

Hopefully you did better than you feel like you did!! When will you hear back? Though I have to say I think "Will you come if we accept you?" is a really loaded question to be quite honest.

12 minutes ago, Bigredbear said:

Got an offer from Auburn today. They want to hear back by Feb 14 though. Apparently they're not a part of the April 15 thing. That worries me a bit because I like their faculty, but I also havent heard back from my top choices and would like to wait it out

Congratulations! That should at least ease anxiety a little. I have heard that sometimes schools will make offers with deadlines like that to try and catch applicants before they accept something else, but I suppose you can wait and see if you hear back from the other schools. You might also be able to call and ask them for an extension of the decision if the deadline gets near, though I do not know if they would, but it couldn't hurt to try. 

2 hours ago, grace1234 said:

For those OB applicants, did anyone hear from UNC-Chapel Hill, UMD-CP, WUSTL, UW-Seattle, USC....? 

Hi @grace1234 I haven't heard back from any of the programs I applied to yet, but I have been watching for updates regularly: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php. It's addicting! We could hear any day now. 

2 hours ago, Bigredbear said:

Got an offer from Auburn today. They want to hear back by Feb 14 though. Apparently they're not a part of the April 15 thing. That worries me a bit because I like their faculty, but I also havent heard back from my top choices and would like to wait it out

Congrats @Bigredbear! That's fantastic news! Hopefully you'll hear back from your top programs before Feb 14. ?