FALL 2020 BUSINESS PHD APPLICANTS

usphd1920

29 minutes ago, phdstrategy2020fall said:

Where r my strategy/organization homies? Apply to about 20 programs (US/UK) and only heard back from LBS. Checking emails every 5 min .....

Hey, welcome! Strategic management representative here too and I also have not heard from any schools yet. 20 is a lot, that must have been easily like two thousand dollars in application fees!

6 hours ago, Dfrost said:

Hopefully you did better than you feel like you did!! When will you hear back? Though I have to say I think "Will you come if we accept you?" is a really loaded question to be quite honest.

Yeah I agree it's a tricky question. Hopefully they asked me this question b/c they want to accept me lol (optimism:))

I wonder if schools send out invitations at the same time or dependent on faculty. It seems that interview invites are out at UT Dallas, and I'm quite sad right now that I didn't get one. I thought my profile would be decent enough for UTD.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, Dfrost said:

Thank you for your support, there is a lot of anxiety around here (for me at least), but we all want to grow up to be like you. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific tips about interviews in this discipline? Most of the guides and podcasts seem to be for hard sciences like chemistry which I understand are a bit different. 

Hope everything is going well in your program so far! 

It looks like a lot of you already had some interviews, but I can share some thoughts. In business schools, research experience is helpful but most students don't have any, so it isn't a big deal to most faculty. I had research experience due to my background in psychology, and I don't think it helped me all that much. They want to know that you have some interest in their research areas, but don't be concerned if they don't want to hear all the details on your research questions - most students end up changing their interests/research questions as they go through the program and learn new things, so faculty may expect this. You want to have clear reasons though for applying to their program. I hope you all hear good news soon!

On 1/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, grace1234 said:

They asked me very general questions like "why did you select our school? Will you come to our school if we accept you?". What made me feel worried/unsafe is that when I introduced my research interests, they cut me off before I went to specific research questions and moved on. So I didn't get a chance to introduce my specific research interests - I'm very concerned that they are not interested in my research lol And I definitely messed up when I introduced my past research experiences - a bit disorganized. 

IMO, if you already stated your research interests in you SOP, they just cut you off cause they already read about it (and liked it) and prefer to ask other information. My supervisor does this all the time. No need to concern there. Also, I doubt they would interview you if your research interest doesn't align with that of the POI or the department. 

22 minutes ago, Meraki said:

It looks like a lot of you already had some interviews, but I can share some thoughts. In business schools, research experience is helpful but most students don't have any, so it isn't a big deal to most faculty. I had research experience due to my background in psychology, and I don't think it helped me all that much. They want to know that you have some interest in their research areas, but don't be concerned if they don't want to hear all the details on your research questions - most students end up changing their interests/research questions as they go through the program and learn new things, so faculty may expect this. You want to have clear reasons though for applying to their program. I hope you all hear good news soon!

Thank you for the post, my first journal article won't be published before April and it's not aligned with the research interest of the programs I'm applying (as I'm just assisting my supervisor with his research) so I was a bit concerned. 

54 minutes ago, HLB said:

IMO, if you already stated your research interests in you SOP, they just cut you off cause they already read about it (and liked it) and prefer to ask other information. My supervisor does this all the time. No need to concern there. Also, I doubt they would interview you if your research interest doesn't align with that of the POI or the department. 

Thank you!! Yeah, I just finished my third interview and realized different schools have completely different styles! Good luck on all your applications! 

5 minutes ago, Bigredbear said:

I got an interview with one of my top choices (woooo). What can I expect during the interview?  And at this stage, stuff like test scores and GPA don't matter, right? 

I think it still matters, but not as much as in the pre-screening stage. The interview performance definitely matters more at this point. 

Hello everyone,
I'm so happy for those friends who have gotten interview invitations and notifications.

Has anyone heard from these schools (in OB/Org Studies/Management and Org)?

UCLA (Anderson), USC (Marshall), Carnegie (Tepper), U Penn (Wharton), Washington (Foster), MIT (Sloan)
Toronto (Rotman), York (Schulich)

On 1/17/2020 at 6:43 PM, Bigredbear said:

So far I've heard from two. South Carolina and VCU. I was wondering if anyone has heard from Michigan Ross or Cornell ILR yet?

Hi Bigredbear,

Can you let me know when you heard from VCU and the initials of the PI, if you don't mind.  Thanks.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, maverick__ said:

Thanks @usphd1920 for creating this thread. It is great to have an online community as we wait to hear back. I only applied to 4 programs (see below) and haven't heard back from any yet. These applications are timely to put together, so kudos to all who applied to more! We have quite a diverse list of programs here, where are you all hoping to land

Hi Maverick,

I created the thread, but it was dead for quite some time.  I though no one was interested.  So I did not check the thread till today and was pleasantly surprised! :D
Not heard back from any of my universities so far.  The waiting is tough...

4 minutes ago, usphd1920 said:

Hi Bigredbear,

Can you let me know when you heard from VCU and the initials of the PI, if you don't mind.  Thanks.

I think we applied to different VCUs. In your post it says you applied to Victoria Commonwealth. I applied to Virginia Commonwealth 

Edited by Bigredbear

Just now, Bigredbear said:

I think we spied to different VCUs. In your post it says you applied to Victoria Commonwealth. I applied to Virginia Commonwealth 

My bad! I applied to Virginia Commonwealth.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, DoktorDoktor said:

It seems that interview invites are out at UT Dallas

Do you have any idea if all the concentrations have sent out invites?

On 1/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, usphd1920 said:

For what its worth, it seems like most of the strategy and macro applicants in this thread haven't heard anything while the OB programs have been a little bit faster. Therefore, if they are two separate departments at the schools you applied to, there is still a strong possibility the notifications are not out yet. (I don't have any schools in common with you so that is mere speculation)

Edited by Dfrost

On 1/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, usphd1920 said:

UT Dallas emailed me for interviews a few days ago, so I think even the same department doesn't send out invites at the same time. I guess for UTD it's up to the professors to pick a time they are free.

7 hours ago, DoktorDoktor said:

UT Dallas emailed me for interviews a few days ago, so I think even the same department doesn't send out invites at the same time. I guess for UTD it's up to the professors to pick a time they are free.

Thanks.  I have applied for International Management. The waiting game goes on ...

On 1/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, MB9372 said:

Hello everyone,
I'm so happy for those friends who have gotten interview invitations and notifications.

Has anyone heard from these schools (in OB/Org Studies/Management and Org)?

UCLA (Anderson), USC (Marshall), Carnegie (Tepper), U Penn (Wharton), Washington (Foster), MIT (Sloan)
Toronto (Rotman), York (Schulich)

I haven't heard back from Rotman, I applied for OB but the survey on gradcafe made me thinks they would send out invites by mid Jan or end of Jan.