PhD Programs Proficient in Continental Philosophy?

KarlX

Hi guys, a few days ago my friend asked me which of programs of philosophy in North America are good at continental philosophy (German and/or French philosophy), so I spent a few time searching relevant data. Finally, I picked out the following programs: UC Riverside; Boston University; Texas A&M; DePaul University; Fordham University; SUNY Stony Brook; Duquesne University; Temple University; McGill; University of Oregon...

I know my list must be imcomplete. Can anyone tell me what programs there are left ? Your help will also give me a general picture of continental philosophy in North America. Thanks!

Here's a link to the Pluralist's Guide (a non-ranked guide). I don't know when this list was last updated, but it has a good set of the usual suspects for continental philosophy.

In my experience the usual suspects really heavy in continental philosophy are: Depaul, Duquesne, Emory, Penn State, Stony Brook, and Villanova.

https://sites.psu.edu/pluralistsguide/program-recommendations/continental-philosophy/

2 hours ago, Olórin said:

Here's a link to the Pluralist's Guide (a non-ranked guide). I don't know when this list was last updated, but it has a good set of the usual suspects for continental philosophy.

In my experience the usual suspects really heavy in continental philosophy are: Depaul, Duquesne, Emory, Penn State, Stony Brook, and Villanova.

https://sites.psu.edu/pluralistsguide/program-recommendations/continental-philosophy/

Thanks Olórin! :)

In addition to those already mentioned, and depending on the specific interests of your friend, I would also recommend looking at University of Memphis, NYU (though not traditionally known as a continental school, they have some strong faculty members who are devoted to continental work), and Berkeley (the same).

On 12/16/2019 at 6:26 AM, Nesta415 said:

In addition to those already mentioned, and depending on the specific interests of your friend, I would also recommend looking at University of Memphis, NYU (though not traditionally known as a continental school, they have some strong faculty members who are devoted to continental work), and Berkeley (the same).

Thanks Nesta 415, although I suspect NYU is extremely difficult to get into :)

Hi Karl,

I'm a second-year at Fordham. We have people who work in standard continental figures like Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Foucault, and Derrida, as well as some thinkers outside the mainstream. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

7 hours ago, UndergradDad said:

I'm assuming this is not for the current application season, KarlX?

Of course, my friend became a Master student last year and she is always interested in phenomenology. 

8 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

As someone who doesn't think the term "continental philosophy" is very helpful, I suspect that you can probably get more personalized recommendations by specifying what philosophers, topics, and questions you're interested in.

My friend is interested in phenomenology, especially Husserl and Heidegger.

Edited by KarlX

20 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Hi Karl,

I'm a second-year at Fordham. We have people who work in standard continental figures like Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Foucault, and Derrida, as well as some thinkers outside the mainstream. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Cool! In fact, my department has a  professor who got his PhD from Fordham and he told me Fordham is a good place to study continental philosophy. I'll message you in the near future if my friend wants to know more details about studying phenomenology in USA, thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

If your friend is interested in coming to Canada, Guelph is decent for continental philosophy (thought not as much as it used to be), and Memorial University of Newfoundland.  Memorial has multiple people who are proficient in Hegel, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, etc.  Well worth looking into.