Berkeley JSP (Ph.D.) 2020

Realcdz

I haven't seen a thread on the Jurisprudence and Social Policy program (JSP) at Berkeley for the 2020 cycle so I am creating one.

Apparently, decisions are communicated sometime between mid February and early March, so we have a couple of months of waiting.

I’m applying to UC Irvine’s PhD program as well. The focus is on criminology, but it’s quite similar to the JSP program otherwise. I have a background in criminal law, but the JSP is still my first choice. I couldn’t find anything else though. It seems that to do interdisciplinary research in this field the only other option is to do a combined JD-PhD. I’m considering taking the LSAT and applying next year if it doesn’t work out this time. You didn’t apply to Stanford’s program? 

• 5 weeks later...

If past years are any guidance, people admitted should have received a call or are about to in the following days. Applicants not offered admission would be receiving emails by the end of the month.

I think everyone’s status had the same Grad 20 appear and then disappear (mine did).

1 hour ago, Realcdz said:

If past years are any guidance, people admitted should have received a call or are about to in the following days. Applicants not offered admission would be receiving emails by the end of the month.

I think everyone’s status had the same Grad 20 appear and then disappear (mine did).

I wouldn't be pessimistic yet - last year's calls came on February 12th. But on that note, does anyone know if they also call international applicants (those who are admitted)? 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:21 PM, Morning123 said:

I wouldn't be pessimistic yet - last year's calls came on February 12th. But on that note, does anyone know if they also call international applicants (those who are admitted)? 

My guess is that they do. It seems like all who reported admission offers in the results page in past years (which should include at least one international) received the news by phone.

1 hour ago, shyareene said:

Okay 2 people are claiming acceptances from 7th Feb... IS there still hope?

Given the small cohort sizes and that not everyone posts on Gradcafe, I'm less than optimistic at this point, but I guess we never know!

Edited by soc2310

On 2/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, Morning123 said:

Claiming an acceptance. Quite thrilled. Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone received a formal letter following the phone call on Friday? Thanks!

Congratulations!!! Did you get a call on the 7th?

1 hour ago, whatdoesgrad20mean said:

Congratulations!!! Did you get a call on the 7th?

Yup I did, sorry for the late update :(

1 hour ago, shyareene said:

Congratulations!! Are you an international or local student?

International! Would be very happy to talk to others thinking of going (and locals too of course):) 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, Morning123 said:

Yup I did, sorry for the late update :(

International! Would be very happy to talk to others thinking of going (and locals too of course):) 

No problem!! I didn't hear so Im assuming I didn't get in. COngratulations though im so happy for you!! I'd love to hear your tips on what you think worked for you, as I"ll be reapplying :)