American Studies Fall 2020?

ashwel11

• ashwel11 changed the title to American Studies Fall 2020?
31 minutes ago, ashwel11 said:

Awesome! I waiting to hear back from 4 American Studies Programs (3 Ph.D. and 1 MA) and 2 African American Studies programs. 

Well I am wishing you the best.. good luck with your applications. Hopefully others who have applied to similar programs trickle in during the cycle.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, histofsci said:

Good luck to all who applied! I applied to a few Am Studies programs (Harvard, NYU, Brown) and then several history of science programs.  

Good luck. American Studies is way too quiet. I hope it picks up sometime next month. 

1 hour ago, Blackbird7 said:

Anyone reach out to a department or poi? 

Yes, I reached out to at least one faculty member that I was interested in working at for every department that I applied to. 

38 minutes ago, histofsci said:

I did! I had conversations with a few professors at Harvard and one at Brown (who was kinda discouraging tbh). 

Oh you were lucky to chat with folks at Harvard. I have never been able to chat with them via email. I did speak to a super helpful grad student.. 

19 hours ago, SpaceMaker said:

Oh you were lucky to chat with folks at Harvard. I have never been able to chat with them via email. I did speak to a super helpful grad student.. 

I was lucky! I got connected through a friend who is a current PhD student there. I will say, though, that most of the conversations I had with professors in any dept (I applied mostly to History of Science programs) were brief and official. I didn't hear back from anyone in Am Studies at Yale (I didn't end up applying to that program) or NYU. 

3 hours ago, histofsci said:

I was lucky! I got connected through a friend who is a current PhD student there. I will say, though, that most of the conversations I had with professors in any dept (I applied mostly to History of Science programs) were brief and official. I didn't hear back from anyone in Am Studies at Yale (I didn't end up applying to that program) or NYU. 

Yes indeed.. Well good luck. I had applied to Yale in a previous cycle. It is a great program and the faculty I chatted with was super nice as well as a graduate student I spoke with. I will also share I had similar exp with Brown. One faculty was super nice but another one was well...

On 1/14/2020 at 8:25 PM, SpaceMaker said:

Yes, I reached out to at least one faculty member that I was interested in working at for every department that I applied to. 

Cool. I emailed a couple and found them to be very kind. They all said they were not part of the selection committee this year but were encouraging. 

2 hours ago, Blackbird7 said:

Hey guys anyone have any updates? This wait.... oh my goodness! 

Yeah I was one of the Minnesota admits. That was the only American studies program I applied to in this cycle tho. Definitely happy and surprised by it. I still have 9 more schools to hear back from however which is less stressful but I would like to just now so I can make some major plans soon. Thankfully school is back in session so now I am busy again and dont have time to worry about it as much.

6 hours ago, noneckmonsters said:

ugh, that email from Yale about a webinar for diversity applicants broke my heart today.... THIS IS TORTURE!!!!

Yeah that scared me too ? I got so excited lol

3 hours ago, SpaceMaker said:

Yeah I was one of the Minnesota admits. That was the only American studies program I applied to in this cycle tho. Definitely happy and surprised by it. I still have 9 more schools to hear back from however which is less stressful but I would like to just now so I can make some major plans soon. Thankfully school is back in session so now I am busy again and dont have time to worry about it as much.

Congratulations on your acceptance! 

24 minutes ago, ashwel11 said:

Yeah that scared me too ? I got so excited lol

Congratulations on your acceptance! 

Thanks. I appreciate. As far as the Yale webinar, yeah it happened last year and had folks freaked out.. Yale tends to send out info mid to late Feb and early March so hang tight. Hopefully you have a great outcome.

Hi everyone! I just found this thread. I primarily applied to English PhD programs this fall, but I did apply to the American Studies program at UT. I am getting anxious to hear back! 

On 1/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, SpaceMaker said:

congrats!!!  So exciting!