American Studies Fall 2020?

ashwel11

58 minutes ago, 93M said:

i havent heard anything from neither (Brown or Yale) not sure what that means..... did anyone get accepted into Brown or Yale? All I see is a bunch of rejections..... which I am sorry to hear this is a horrible time....... 

Hey 93M. I got a rejection from Yale today but not Brown. I reached out to a friend that applied to Brown's Anthro program and he told me the same thing happened to him and his portal updated the next day with a rejection. So maybe our notifications are updated at different times? Hopefully you get good news whenever they are updated! I'm hoping too lol =]

As a current MA student at Yale, all I can say from my experience with PhD students here is that the faculty are doing their best guess work with our files and unfortunately some who get by that guess work just suck as students. It's not good for all involved, but many also are also wonderful. Best guess, at places like Yale leave a lot of room for an imagined student body. What might we do to make that less the case?

1 hour ago, Anteanti said:

Can you explain more what you mean by this?

I think I was just getting at making an application that removes the guess work so that we are both imaginable and admitable.
In my own case, that just means working with someone, either a professor or a current American Studies PhD candidate to gage what goes into a successful application.

I think feedback is definitely an element I could've used to make a stronger application.

Does anyone have a read on what's going on with NYU? Should we just give up if we haven't received an interview invitation? Are all acceptances even interviewed? I browsed through the last few years' forums and it's still somewhat unclear when and why they do interviews... To me, at least... Trying to stay hopeful! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. 

In case anyone is waiting to hear back from Boston University, I heard from "someone on the inside" that they are probably going to be letting people know this week, next at the latest.

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle! 

Edited by IBrakeForVanJohnson

On 2/13/2020 at 3:07 PM, 93M said:

i havent heard anything from neither (Brown or Yale) not sure what that means..... did anyone get accepted into Brown or Yale? All I see is a bunch of rejections..... which I am sorry to hear this is a horrible time....... 

Hey 93M, I got an email to check the website this morning. I got rejected but maybe you got in. Worth checking out at least. Sending positive energy your way!!!

On 2/18/2020 at 1:15 AM, Nope! said:

In case anyone is waiting to hear back from Boston University, I heard from "someone on the inside" that they are probably going to be letting people know this week, next at the latest.

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle! 

Thanks for the info. Any chance you know if decisions were in fact sent out this week? 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, CaliAcademic said:

Anybody know about Harvard's notification timeline for American Studies?

It seems like last year they released decisions around the 18th of February. But the year prior it was early March.
If I had to guess, I'd say we should hear by the end of next week.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, clementine22 said:

I didn't get into Yale either. Anyone apply to Rutgers or BU? I haven't seen any posts about their AMST programs on here.

I Applied to Rutgers too.. I have not heard anything from the program.