American Studies Fall 2020?

ashwel11

29 minutes ago, jlaser said:

Nice!! How’d it go? 

I think it went okay? I definitely fumbled a few questions, but overall I think it was fine. I felt prepared. It was my only interview so I don't really have anything to compare it to! 

In general I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up. I applied to a lot of very competitive programs and I'd rather assume the worst than spend a week in bed sobbing because I didn't get in anywhere (which I will likely do regardless). Trying to keep an even head about things. 

The next 2-4 weeks are AGONIZING.

5 minutes ago, histofsci said:

I think it went okay? I definitely fumbled a few questions, but overall I think it was fine. I felt prepared. It was my only interview so I don't really have anything to compare it to! 

In general I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up. I applied to a lot of very competitive programs and I'd rather assume the worst than spend a week in bed sobbing because I didn't get in anywhere (which I will likely do regardless). Trying to keep an even head about things. 

The next 2-4 weeks are AGONIZING.

That’s awesome! I’m sure they know people are nervous so fumbling is expected. I had interviews with two schools and really struggled with the first one. I have a friend in NYU American Studies, he told me they’re accepting 5-6 this year, and to expect really short intense interviews (or at least that was his experience.) What was the vibe of the committee? And yeah me too. I’ve been getting so stressed, and interviews just add another layer.

1 hour ago, jlaser said:

That’s awesome! I’m sure they know people are nervous so fumbling is expected. I had interviews with two schools and really struggled with the first one. I have a friend in NYU American Studies, he told me they’re accepting 5-6 this year, and to expect really short intense interviews (or at least that was his experience.) What was the vibe of the committee? And yeah me too. I’ve been getting so stressed, and interviews just add another layer.

Short and intense describes it perfectly :) The committee was lovely- really kind and engaging and thoughtful. One of my POIs was on the call, actually, which was really great. The interview really sold me on the program/school and convinced me that this POI would be a great fit for me. I'm not sure how many people get interviews (vs. accepted) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Is 5-6 admits high or low for their program? Do you know? 

Where did you interview? 

Edited by histofsci
Added question

14 minutes ago, histofsci said:

Short and intense describes it perfectly :) The committee was lovely- really kind and engaging and thoughtful. One of my POIs was on the call, actually, which was really great. The interview really sold me on the program/school and convinced me that this POI would be a great fit for me. I'm not sure how many people get interviews (vs. accepted) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Is 5-6 admits high or low for their program? Do you know? 

Where did you interview? 

Brown and Penn (not for American Studies though). What was intense about it exactly? And that’s great, I’m sure your enthusiasm showed! As for the cohort size, I *think* 5-6 is average? I applied a previous year to NYU American Studies and it was 6 if I recall correctly. 

52 minutes ago, jlaser said:

Brown and Penn (not for American Studies though). What was intense about it exactly? And that’s great, I’m sure your enthusiasm showed! As for the cohort size, I *think* 5-6 is average? I applied a previous year to NYU American Studies and it was 6 if I recall correctly. 

Intense because I knew I had 10-15 minutes to convince them I was a good candidate and provide some updates on what I'd been doing to fill the gaps in my research since I submitted my application. They also convinced me they'd be a great fit for me. But I really don't want to get my hopes up.

Brown and Penn interviews! That's awesome. I applied to a different program at Penn as well (history of science) but didn't get an interview. 

16 minutes ago, Btt112169 said:

Has anyone heard back from USC? If you didn't hear back from schools at this point I am guessing it is safe to expect a rejection?

Hi! I heard back from USC already with an acceptance email last week. I still think its too early to tell though with many of the schools. I know a lot of programs usually send out notifications the second or third week of February. If you go to the results page and search American Studies you'll see in past years a lot of decisions don't come out until later in the month. Hope this helps!

Starting to get really bummed. Thought I would be all set by applying to 12 schools but I've been rejected by 3 of the "less" competitive American Studies programs. Really felt like I was a good fit for those programs too. Not sure if I should hold out hope or better prepare myself from a likely rejection from Ivies and other top tier schools.

2 hours ago, clementine22 said:

Starting to get really bummed. Thought I would be all set by applying to 12 schools but I've been rejected by 3 of the "less" competitive American Studies programs. Really felt like I was a good fit for those programs too. Not sure if I should hold out hope or better prepare myself from a likely rejection from Ivies and other top tier schools.

Hi Clementine. I know the process can be discouraging but I wanted to just check in and let you know that its not over yet. Sometimes a program just doesn't have a right fit at the moment, or maybe they are looking for something specific this year. Your application could end up being a perfect match for one of the programs you haven't heard back from yet, so I think there's definitely still hope. 

12 hours ago, Blackbird7 said:

Any updates? This wait is crazy hard! 

Nothing! I'm sort of assuming I won't hear back until next week or the following. (I applied to AmSt at Harvard and NYU). I think NYU did a second round of interviews this week.

Starting to feel less and less hopeful about UT-Austin. I've heard so far of one person getting accepted. I emailed the department on Monday to inquire about when admissions decisions would be sent out, and haven't heard back - no portal update either. I just want the wait to be over!

I was one of the NYU American Studies interviews. I got really anxious and blanked out so hard. Have been kicking myself since then. If what the person above said is true (5-6 for this years cohort), and its looks like there were two rounds of interviews, I think that means there are maybe 8-12 gunning for the current spots. 

2 minutes ago, sentinell said:

I was one of the NYU American Studies interviews. I got really anxious and blanked out so hard. Have been kicking myself since then. If what the person above said is true (5-6 for this years cohort), and its looks like there were two rounds of interviews, I think that means there are maybe 8-12 gunning for the current spots. 

Is there a chance a candidate could be accepted without interview? My friend didn't get an interview invitation and she is already given up on NYU.