How likely is it to be accepted off the wait-list?

khaile

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the university's prior record in their percentages of those who accept their first offer. For example, a dept looking for a cohort of 10-12 will likely accept 20-25 with a yield % of about 50%. If enough people reject the offer, then schools start admitting those on the wait-list. Additionally, I'm sure the open house recruiting week also determines a lot of things.

I applied to 9 schools (8/9 were top 30), rejected from 5, wait-listed at 2, and accepted at 2.

I was accepted to my #3 choice, while being wait-listed at my #2. Upon visiting #3, I was immediately impressed and thought, "this should have been my number one choice!" - there was about 5-6 professors that I could work with there. I immediately accepted the offer the day after visitation.

That being said, I wouldn't being surprised if I got an offer at me #2 school in a few days.

But I wanted to ask, how likely is it to get accepted off the wait-list (assuming that you are the first on the list).

How is an unranked wait-list organized?

I'm not in sociology either :P. But some of the different philosophy waitlist practices I've seen: this year UMD wanted a "balanced" set of interests in their incoming class, so who got in off the waitlist was based on the subfield of people that declined offers. Last year Northwestern had profs send personal emails to waitlisted people, and it was speculated that people got in based on the level of interest/fit/etc they showed when communicating.

Edited by tarski

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the university's prior record in their percentages of those who accept their first offer. For example, a dept looking for a cohort of 10-12 will likely accept 20-25 with a yield % of about 50%. If enough people reject the offer, then schools start admitting those on the wait-list. Additionally, I'm sure the open house recruiting week also determines a lot of things.

I applied to 9 schools (8/9 were top 30), rejected from 5, wait-listed at 2, and accepted at 2.

I was accepted to my #3 choice, while being wait-listed at my #2. Upon visiting #3, I was immediately impressed and thought, "this should have been my number one choice!" - there was about 5-6 professors that I could work with there. I immediately accepted the offer the day after visitation.

That being said, I wouldn't being surprised if I got an offer at me #2 school in a few days.

But I wanted to ask, how likely is it to get accepted off the wait-list (assuming that you are the first on the list).

I think they aer doing wait lists differently this year. One school told me most years they accept a larger number and assume quite a few won't come. This year they were only accepting as many as they could fund and then waiting lists all others.