Bard MFA Q&A

123mfa

Hi, I'm a former Bard student (in sculpture) and am happy to answer any questions people might have about the MFA program.  I think the program is often lumped in with other low residency MFAs, but I found the format helped me make better work and be better prepared for life after school (instead of being in MFA-land for two years and then confronted with reality).

The school attracts a lot of different types of students and interesting work.  I'm not here in any official capacity, just happy to demystify anything for people interested in applying.

• 1 month later...

Hello, thanks for your kindness. :)

There are few questions that I would like to ask about Bard College MFA. I'm currently living outside of the states, and it's really hard to find the info about Bard here...

So, based on what I found out so far, Summer & Winter Session is the time when you have to do study at the school. Does it mean that you have to be outside of school during Spring and Fall season? (I was wondering if there are no classes like usual (professors teaching their own professional area via lecture or classes)). Can you explain more about how the Bard format helped you preparing for life after school?

And do the MFA program prefers the students from the various background from your experience? Because I'm currently working at advertising company, and Bard College MFA website kind of gave me the impression that they are welcoming the people who are starting art in the middle of their career, and I wanted to know how much is that actualized in the program.

Finally, how strong is the division of the departments? I want to apply for the music/sound department, and hope that all the departments collaborate actively.

Hope that you see this questions...!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, amuamu said:

Hello, thanks for your kindness. :)

There are few questions that I would like to ask about Bard College MFA. I'm currently living outside of the states, and it's really hard to find the info about Bard here...

So, based on what I found out so far, Summer & Winter Session is the time when you have to do study at the school. Does it mean that you have to be outside of school during Spring and Fall season? (I was wondering if there are no classes like usual (professors teaching their own professional area via lecture or classes)). Can you explain more about how the Bard format helped you preparing for life after school?

And do the MFA program prefers the students from the various background from your experience? Because I'm currently working at advertising company, and Bard College MFA website kind of gave me the impression that they are welcoming the people who are starting art in the middle of their career, and I wanted to know how much is that actualized in the program.

Finally, how strong is the division of the departments? I want to apply for the music/sound department, and hope that all the departments collaborate actively.

Hope that you see this questions...!

Cheers

Hi!

The only on-site time is spent over eight weeks during the summer.  To complete the program, you participate in a total of three summer sessions.  The calendar for each year is posted here: https://www.bard.edu/mfa/calendar/.  The rest of the year students and faculty are teaching, developing their work, spending time with families, etc. Some students stay in New York State and find studios/jobs locally before the next session begins.  The school also offers a limited number of teaching fellowships, so some students return to Bard during the fall or spring semester to teach undergraduate classes.  There is no MFA programming during fall and spring.

In my mind, this is the best preparation for real life, as most people will need to work and find their own studios in order to keep developing their work after school.  There's no shock of returning to the real world when the program ends because you're never in the "bubble" that year-round programs create.

The students at Bard have all different backgrounds. When I was there, the youngest student was 25 and the oldest in their mid 40s.  Some people are just out of undergraduate, or never got a formal education at all, or returned to school very late, or have other masters degrees in different fields or already have gallery representation.  Also, a good portion of the students are international (maybe 1 in 5?).

The program is interdisciplinary, so you can work in any medium when you get there.  You still meet with your discipline (other sound students) multiple times a week, so your "focus" would still be expected to be sound.  But a lot of sound students incorporate sculpture, video, performance, dance, photography and other media into their practices.  You have a lot of freedom to interpret your medium as you wish, and a lot of students collaborate on projects together.

Hope that was helpful!

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, 123mfa said:

Hi, I'm a former Bard student (in sculpture) and am happy to answer any questions people might have about the MFA program.  I think the program is often lumped in with other low residency MFAs, but I found the format helped me make better work and be better prepared for life after school (instead of being in MFA-land for two years and then confronted with reality).

The school attracts a lot of different types of students and interesting work.  I'm not here in any official capacity, just happy to demystify anything for people interested in applying.

Which version do folks prefer based on which criteria?... Bard MFA upstate or the Bard/ICP version in my hometown?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello! thinking about applying to bard mfa for painting 2021 -- any tips on applying are very welcome <3

small background:

28 years old, graduated from undergrad 6 years ago, been working mainly in the service industry with some artist gigs here and there. steady studio practice since school but I kinda work in a vacuum, reasons for mfa interest are:

to open up job possibilities (teaching)

cultivate more of an art community and network 

push/guide my work further, crit with artists, to show work

9 hours ago, silverbuttons said:

hello! thinking about applying to bard mfa for painting 2021 -- any tips on applying are very welcome ❤️

small background:

28 years old, graduated from undergrad 6 years ago, been working mainly in the service industry with some artist gigs here and there. steady studio practice since school but I kinda work in a vacuum, reasons for mfa interest are:

to open up job possibilities (teaching)

cultivate more of an art community and network 

push/guide my work further, crit with artists, to show work

I can help out... do you have an art website I can look at?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...