Preliminary Application Evaluation: Requirements

kufambrian

Hi, all,

I'm a junior at small liberal arts college that is top-ranked in private research universities. I'm also graduating a year early, so I'm currently 19--not sure if that matters in my applications. 

I will be submitting applications for a political science PhD next November and December, with current top schools being Stanford and UC Berkeley (I plan on expanding my school choices after more research). I aim to include some psychology in my PhD, if possible. Because of this, I'm trying to make a list of everything I need to maximize my chances at getting accepted.

So far, I am double-majoring in Political Science and Psychology with a 3.98 GPA. I have TA'd for one class and will be doing so again during the spring semester of this year (the first was a humanities class and the second will be psychology). I have taken college math only up to pre-calculus at a CC in high school, and general elementary statistics in college. I don't have time to take Calc I and II unless I drop my psychology major to a minor--thoughts? I have interned in one major state-level campaign and will be interning in another state campaign this spring.

I am currently in a psychology research methods and statistics class, in which I am doing a group study on EDC exposure (more biology/psych than anything); I'm first author. We are going to submit it for publication after it is complete. This will be my most notable paper and project before I submit my applications. Although it is not related to polisci, should I submit it as my writing sample?

Polisci research at my university is difficult, because while the faculty in my department are fairly well-known, there are only 4 faculty members. I've asked about research opportunities and am waiting for a response, but I fear they will be difficult to find. However, I have the opportunity to further research on the EDC study next year; this would be a biology/psych study as opposed to polisci. Does it matter if my research opportunities are in political science?

Overall, what does it look like I will be lacking and what parts of my college career appear strong? I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Since you're younger, it could be worth taking a year after graduating to do a pre-PhD program or research-based job to bulk up your research abilities and resume. Interning in campaigns usually isn't relevant unless you were in a data heavy role. Presenting at conferences/publishing (even in just an undergraduate journal) will have more mileage. Also, get going on the GRE early in case you need more time to study/take the test. The thing that matters the most is fit with the departments you are applying to, so stay up to date on research and faculty that align with your interests. Also worth contacting professors to let them know you want to pursue a PhD so they can (hopefully) be mentors and give you feedback. 

age doesn't matter on the low end.

even if the profs in your dept cannot take you on, you can ask them to intro you to someone who is hiring research assistants. not taking calc sequence won't make a major hit, but if you were to take it and do well it would be a positive signal for your app. most schools have 'math camps' before and quant sequences, so they are just looking for indicators, not necessarily that you have the experience already in hand. good quant gre or a quant ra ship should get you sorted.

best if writing sample doesnt have coauthors.

most important advice i could offer would be to take a breath & don't rush into it. see the world. raise chickens for a year. start a garden. market is brutal and you will be overworked and underpaid. and if you do go for the phd always keep exit paths in the back of your mind.

On 1/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, kufambrian said:

I don't have time to take Calc I and II unless I drop my psychology major to a minor--thoughts?

As others have said that's fine. Most programs do not require calc or anything that advanced. Stats and research methods are whats generally expected by adcomms.  

There are some notable programs (Rochester, NYU, maybe a few others) that are very math oriented which will want to see some advanced math, so just avoid those.