2020 MS Statistics Profile Evaluation

m-yadav

Hey Guys!

I know we have a lot of experienced members here who see these kind of posts very often. Can someone please have a look on my following scenario and recommend some programs/schools that seem reasonable for my profile? Please help me out here and feel free to be brutally honest!!

Program of Interest: MS Statistics (smth more inclined towards applications especially in data analytics)

Undergrad Institution: #218 National University US News & World Report (a US public school)

Major: BS Mathematics, Minor: Economics

CGPA: 4.00/4.00 (Last 60 hours)

Type of Student: International, Male

Relevant Coursework: Calc I (A+), Calc II-III(B), Linear Algebra (A), Mathematical Statistics I-II (A+, A), Real Analysis I (A-), Intro to Proofs (A+), Econometric (A), Data Analytics Tools (in Python) (A), DBMS (A), Foundation of Algebra I (DG) (Not taking again), In progress (SP 2020): Eco and Business Forecasting, BI, Data Mining, Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Computing

GRE scores (This is where I completely sucked :V/Q/AW: 141/159/3.00)

Relevant Experience: Peer Tutor in Math & Stat for over a year in our department's tutoring center

Computational Skills: Intermediate knowledge in R, Python, and MySQL.

Thank you for your time and patience. 

Did you start applying already? I'm not an expert at all but I would worry about low GRE score and consider retake. I think you have time to retake because there are a lot of schools whose application deadline is in feb or mar if you are not aiming top 30. Good luck on your applications! 

Thank you @Stttat and @bayessays for your input.

By the way, @bayessays could you please be a little more precise about the programs (i.e. 70-90 range ranking programs or smth like 100-200 ranking schools) that I may apply with my current GRE? Moreover, I am strongly considering retaking GRE for schools that have deadline on feb 15 or later. Thanks a lot for your time and patience guys. Believe me I feel a lot more relieved now.

There are hundreds of MS statistics programs in the US, and even more if you start talking about applied stat/biostat/data science/etc which you seem to be interested in.  There are no rankings of MS programs, so it isn't possible to provide an easy answer to your question unless you narrow it down a little bit.

I think you could apply anywhere if you raised your GRE score into the 160s.  Even with your current score, you have a 4.0 from a US school with real analysis - I think you could probably apply to any non-elite program (not Stanford, Chicago, CMU, Ivy Leagues, etc) and  have a good chance.  I have seen some surprising results where people with good profiles get rejected, though. On the other hand, even some top MS programs like Michigan biostatistics admit a very large percentage of applicants.  Some MS programs let in almost anyone who can pay. 

Hi all,

Here are the list of universities I have applied for, under pending results considering studies in M.Sc. in Statistics. Could you please be kind enough to review my profile and leave comments on whether or not I stand a chance?

Type of Student: International South Asian Female

Undergraduate Institution: Top 5  Sri Lankan University

Degree: B.Sc. Special (Honours) Degree in Mathematics

Majors: Pure Mathematics and Statistics

Cumulative GPA: 3.76

Subject GPA: Pure Mathematics: 4.00/4.00 and Statistics: 3.79/4.00

Awards: Dean's List

Research Experience: Supervised undergraduate research

IELTS score: 8.0 (L - 9.0 | S - 8.5 | R - 7.5 | W - 6.5)

GRE General Test: 300 (Verbal: 145  | Quantitative: 155  | AWA: 3.5)

Letter of Recommendation:

• 3 Academic references from lecturers

Applying Term: Fall 2020

Schools that I have applied to:

• University of British Columbia (1st choice)
  • McGill University
  • University of  Victoria
  • University of Alberta 
  • University of Manitoba
  • Texas Tech University (US)

Programs: M.Sc. in Statistics (Biostatistics)

Would appreciate it if anyone could offer their opinion on my odds of being admitted! Any other suggestions are also greatly appreciated especially regarding teaching assistantships and funding opportunities. Thank you so much in advance!

Note: Up to now I only received an update from the University of Manitoba stating that my application is complete and it is under review in the Department.