Hunter Silberman School Fall 2020 MSW

MSWFall2020

On 4/27/2020 at 12:42 AM, bklobo said:

I am wondering if anyone was in the group interview last Tuesday and has heard? Reading this thread is making me a bit nervous, as it seems like most were accepted right after their interview. Did anyone get accepted after waiting for over a week? I think the interview went well. It was over zoom and we had a group of 9. I sent out a thank you email right after the interview but have not heard yet. 

Hi! Would you be able to tell me a bit more about how your group interview went and the types of questions that were asked? I have mine next week and am a bit curious about 1) the zoom interview dynamic and 2) the types of questions you were asked. Were questions asked individually or was it more conversational? Any guidance would be super appreciated (that goes for anyone who has had a zoom interview). Thanks!!!

On 4/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, btvpunk said:

Yep, still waiting ?The suspense is killing me!! I got my acceptance from Columbia on 4/9 and need to give them my decision by 5/10. I hope Hunter gets back to me before then, as they are my top choice. I'm considering sending an email to admissions but don't want to be a bother. 

When did you submit your application?

I submitted my application on 1/30! It was officially completed on 2/4 though - I did apply to the advanced standing program so I don't know if they're just taking longer for those applications?

21 minutes ago, originalowl said:

Got accepted to the full time two year program! Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Does anyone know if theres a facebook group or something for incoming Fall 2020 Hunter MSW students? 

Congratulations!

I was looking for a group like that as well and couldn't find one. I even searched for posts pertaining to Silberman in the Hunter groups I'm already in and couldn't find much that way either haha. 

2 hours ago, MMH0913 said:

Congratulations!

I was looking for a group like that as well and couldn't find one. I even searched for posts pertaining to Silberman in the Hunter groups I'm already in and couldn't find much that way either haha. 

Guess we'll have to wait! :) Congrats! 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, HG2020 said:

Fingers crossed! I ended up emailing them and got a response today that said decisions and interview requests will be sent out "in the coming weeks" and I was warned it might take longer than normal... It did not leave me feeling reassured. ??

Good luck to you too!

Good luck to you as well! I felt the same initially but finally got my acceptance without an interview!

4 hours ago, Dogmom0517 said:

Hi! Would you be able to tell me a bit more about how your group interview went and the types of questions that were asked? I have mine next week and am a bit curious about 1) the zoom interview dynamic and 2) the types of questions you were asked. Were questions asked individually or was it more conversational? Any guidance would be super appreciated (that goes for anyone who has had a zoom interview). Thanks!!!

I interviewed last week. There were 9 of us. I've been doing a bunch of zoom teaching so I'm fairly comfortable with it. There was an interviewer who kept it pretty straightforward. She asked us to introduce ourselves, how we've been involved in social work field and which program we were applying to. There were about 1/2 career changers, 1 OYR applicant and 1/2 coming from either social work field or straight out of undergrad but with some experience in the field.  She asked us what client group we would be least likely to want to work with. She asked us if we were placed in our least desired population during field placement year one, how would we handle it. She asked a few scenario questions- one had to do with a client seeing you in public with your same sex partner and wanted to have another social worker- how would you handle. She asked about how we are preparing for the transition to MSW program and what we will do to prep. She asked a question and called on us one at a time. Not at all conversational. I was very nervous but I think it was actually not to hard if you just be yourself. The questions seemed pretty common sense. The writing sample was a little harder b/c the article was rather dense. Good luck! 

16 hours ago, bklobo said:

I interviewed last week. There were 9 of us. I've been doing a bunch of zoom teaching so I'm fairly comfortable with it. There was an interviewer who kept it pretty straightforward. She asked us to introduce ourselves, how we've been involved in social work field and which program we were applying to. There were about 1/2 career changers, 1 OYR applicant and 1/2 coming from either social work field or straight out of undergrad but with some experience in the field.  She asked us what client group we would be least likely to want to work with. She asked us if we were placed in our least desired population during field placement year one, how would we handle it. She asked a few scenario questions- one had to do with a client seeing you in public with your same sex partner and wanted to have another social worker- how would you handle. She asked about how we are preparing for the transition to MSW program and what we will do to prep. She asked a question and called on us one at a time. Not at all conversational. I was very nervous but I think it was actually not to hard if you just be yourself. The questions seemed pretty common sense. The writing sample was a little harder b/c the article was rather dense. Good luck! 

WOW this was very informative and super helpful! Thank you SO much, good luck to you as well!!

For those accepted and committed: has anyone proceeded thru next steps? I've received my financial aid letter but am confused about further moves that need to be taken ... I guess we're all still in a sort-of waiting game.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, bklobo said:

I think it will really depend on how they will be able to handle field placements. I worry that it will be hard to established a trusting client relationships in a virtual setting- but this is the world we are entering- I suppose it may be beneficial to become equip with the tools now. It will be a really interesting time to be a social worker- dealing with the collective trauma of the pandemic.

Yes I agree! I have confirmed my acceptance and plan to attend. Did you hear back from them yet?

On 4/28/2020 at 1:46 PM, originalowl said:

Got accepted to the full time two year program! Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Does anyone know if theres a facebook group or something for incoming Fall 2020 Hunter MSW students? 

Hi! Congrats! I have been looking for a facebook page but couldn't find one. If anyone is reading this, we can start a facebook group chat and maybe make a group if SSSW doesn't? My facebook is Katlyn Haney and I'm in Brooklyn NY :)

1 hour ago, nn72 said:

For those accepted and committed: has anyone proceeded thru next steps? I've received my financial aid letter but am confused about further moves that need to be taken ... I guess we're all still in a sort-of waiting game.

Did you receive your financial aid letter by mail or email? I am still waiting to hear back. 

I was told after I committed that they would follow up with further instructions but that was a week ago... I'm confused because registration starts next week. I'm still trying to gather my vaccine records and am waiting for my cuny log in. 

Add me to facebook! Katlyn Haney

2 hours ago, khnyc said:

Hi! Congrats! I have been looking for a facebook page but couldn't find one. If anyone is reading this, we can start a facebook group chat and maybe make a group if SSSW doesn't? My facebook is Katlyn Haney and I'm in Brooklyn NY :)

Sounds great. Will do :)

4 hours ago, khnyc said:

Yes I agree! I have confirmed my acceptance and plan to attend. Did you hear back from them yet?

Not yet! It's been over a week and the wait is killing me! Though I know a friend who applied a few years ago along with his sister. She interviewed first. He got in days after his interview and she didn't hear back for 2 weeks but also got in. So I'm still hopeful. Fingers crossed. It's the only program I applied for!

4 minutes ago, bklobo said:

Not yet! It's been over a week and the wait is killing me! Though I know a friend who applied a few years ago along with his sister. She interviewed first. He got in days after his interview and she didn't hear back for 2 weeks but also got in. So I'm still hopeful. Fingers crossed. It's the only program I applied for!

Ahhhhh. I'm sure. that's the hardest part. I have a friend who applied late and is still waiting to hear back. Good luck :) 

17 hours ago, khnyc said:

Hey all, 

I made a facebook group... it's "Hunter SSSW 2020 students" if you want to join!

Hey! I found out that there is a FB group for Hunter SSW students. It's called the HCSSW entourage. 

Has anyone heard anything about a new student orientation, registration advisement, or anything from the field placement office? I have committed and claimed my CUNYFirst account but it's been radio silence since then and registration starts this month.

Edited by HG2020

1 hour ago, HG2020 said:

Has anyone heard anything about a new student orientation, registration advisement, or anything from the field placement office? I have committed and claimed my CUNYFirst account but it's been radio silence since then and registration starts this month.

I'm in the same boat; I did send a question re: immunization records to the wellness office and in their response they said, "you must submit your immunization records in order to register for courses. Not doing so, will delay your registration process."

So maybe once those are recorded, something will happen?

2 hours ago, HG2020 said:

I spoke with them yesterday! They said emails about registration/field placement will be going out in the next few weeks. I imagine they are backed up from covid.

Hey guys,

I received two emails yesterday. One of them stating that I have been activated as a graduate student at Hunter College and that my CUNYfirst account is available to start enrolling in classes. The other stated that my Hunter email is ready to be used. I logged onto CUNYfirst and saw that I am able to put classes into my shopping cart but am not able to enroll yet because we all have different enrollment appointments. Also, once you receive access to your Hunter email, you will be receiving all college related emails to that email. 

I think the reason why I heard back from them so fast is because I attended Hunter for undergrad so I essentially am using the same CUNYfirst account. 

This morning, I was able to accept my financial aid on CUNYfirst. If you have successfully submitted your FAFSA application, you should have received an email with an estimate of how much you might receive from financial aid.