Hunter Silberman School Fall 2020 MSW

MSWFall2020

On 6/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, HG2020 said:

Thanks for sharing this! For folks who received it, have you heard from/been assigned an Assistant Director? I have already resigned from my social services job in anticipation of going to school FT, so this is concerning to me. Wish I'd known!

No not yet. I didn't quit yet but now re-thinking my plan over here. Not sure how they can do placements during covid. Anyone else thinking about deferring for a year? ha

Hi all, I'm applying to the Spring 2021 accelerated program at Hunter that starts in January.  I'm working on my application and have a question for you guys - I have five years of HR experience, but I did do a lot of volunteer work back in 2010/2011 when I got my undergraduate degree in International Relations. Hunter requires a letter of recommendation from a human services position, but I can't track any of my supervisors from back then. Do you think a letter of recommendation from HR would work? I could tie in the transferable skills.

Did anyone have a similar situation where they couldn't provide a letter of rec from human services? Thanks so much. 

On 7/2/2020 at 1:49 PM, nks2192 said:

No not yet. I didn't quit yet but now re-thinking my plan over here. Not sure how they can do placements during covid. Anyone else thinking about deferring for a year? ha

Hunter does not allow for deferrals. You have to reapply entirely ? 

Did anyone attend the information session yesterday/is anyone attending today? If so, would you mind sharing a bit about what you learned?

6 hours ago, HG2020 said:

Did anyone attend the information session yesterday/is anyone attending today? If so, would you mind sharing a bit about what you learned?

There was an information session today? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, lala123 said:

Was anyone able to pay tuition through CunyFirst recently?

I was! It took several tries though for the payment option to load. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all of you! 

Thank you for this thread— I have read it... multiple times, and am so grateful to have found it. 

Just got the email that I have my zoom interview next week (eeep!) and was wondering if anyone could share anything more about the writing sample portion of the interview? So excited, and so nervous— and just looking for any and all intel that would feel comfortable to share about the interview!

Thank you so much! I hope you're all feeling and doing well! 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jenny birch said:

hey all! does anyone know if there's an online orientation this week? beginning mon aug 17?

I was wondering this as well.

I was accepted Friday and am trying to get the ball rolling since there's so little time.  Trying to get a head start on stuff like sending my official transcripts, but it's not really clear where to send them! Thank you to those who shared https://www.facebook.com/groups/hcsswentourage/.  I created an account (after boycotting for years...lol) to join, and it seems like my requests are getting denied?

Anyway, congrats everyone!! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Edited by gblvn
typo

5 hours ago, gblvn said:

I was wondering this as well.

I was accepted Friday and am trying to get the ball rolling since there's so little time.  Trying to get a head start on stuff like sending my official transcripts, but it's not really clear where to send them! Thank you to those who shared https://www.facebook.com/groups/hcsswentourage/.  I created an account (after boycotting for years...lol) to join, and it seems like my requests are getting denied?

Anyway, congrats everyone!! Looking forward to meeting you all.

I just got my acceptance today to the OYR program, and I am also trying to get everything in quickly! According to the letter in my application portal, we need to request the official transcripts be sent to this address: Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work, Enrollment Management 7th Fl., 2180 Third Ave., New York, NY 10035

Did you receive an ID number with your acceptance letter? I did not, and I am trying to figure out how to claim my CUNY account so I can register and make sure everything with financial aid is in line. Hoping I get info about oriention soon. 

Excited to be in school with all of you! 

18 hours ago, Meeegs said:

I just got my acceptance today to the OYR program, and I am also trying to get everything in quickly! According to the letter in my application portal, we need to request the official transcripts be sent to this address: Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work, Enrollment Management 7th Fl., 2180 Third Ave., New York, NY 10035

Did you receive an ID number with your acceptance letter? I did not, and I am trying to figure out how to claim my CUNY account so I can register and make sure everything with financial aid is in line. Hoping I get info about oriention soon. 

I got my ID after completing the CUNYfirst setup.  I'm guessing you've seen this http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/cunyfirst/repository/files/CUNYfirst - ClaimingYour Account_QG.pdf but are having trouble nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all,

Congratulations to those accepted to fall 2020!  I actually applied for fall 2020 for the extremely extended deadline, but was not accepted. I applied for the deadline of July 15, and then it was re-extended to July 30.  I heard back on 8/20 for a semester that started last week, and didn't have an interview or anything.  I wonder if anyone has any insight to share on what might have been going on behind the scenes. Did anyone apply that late and have an interview?  It was disappointing to have the deadline re-extended, which implies that they need to add more students, but then not be accepted.  I am still really interested in going to Hunter, and I am going to reapply in the spring, while also looking at other programs as safety options.  I am taking a non-matriculated class in the social work department this semester.  I'm wondering if anyone can share any insight or thoughts?  Thank you! 

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone! I see it's been awhile since somebody posted a message in this group!

I wanted to ask if any of you that have already started classes at Hunter for the MSW program could give me some info in regards of the textbooks used in the first and second semesters? I want to start looking for them in advance (I was accepted for the Fall 2021 semester). I would like to know which textbooks are you using for Human Behavior I, II and III as well as Social Welfare policy and Social Work learning lab.

I would be so helpful if anybody can advise.

Thank you so much in advance!

:::)))

On 8/18/2020 at 1:11 PM, gblvn said:

I got my ID after completing the CUNYfirst setup.  I'm guessing you've seen this http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/cunyfirst/repository/files/CUNYfirst - ClaimingYour Account_QG.pdf but are having trouble nonetheless.

Hello Everyone! I see it's been awhile since somebody posted a message in this group!

I wanted to ask if any of you that have already started classes at Hunter for the MSW program could give me some info in regards of the textbooks used in the first and second semesters? I want to start looking for them in advance (I was accepted for the Fall 2021 semester). I would like to know which textbooks are you using for Human Behavior I, II and III as well as Social Welfare policy and Social Work learning lab.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:09 PM, Meeegs said:

•