Hunter Silberman School Fall 2020 MSW

MSWFall2020

On 3/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, AlabasterSeas said:

How'd it go?

It went quite well! It was a small group, 4 people including myself, so the interview felt more intimate and relaxed. I really liked our interviewer, she really made us feel at ease and was informative about the program. We talked a bit about ourselves and our motivations in going into social work, and then discussed a specific scenario (in which an older client cooks for you during a home visit, what do you do?). It really was so that the interviewer could get to know you more and see if the school would be a good fit.

So, the interview was yesterday and I received an e-mail today letting me know that my final decision was in and I was accepted. So to summarize, I submitted my application and it was completed in October and my portal was updated around the end of December that I was 'Pending Interview.' I received an invitation to come in for a group interview in late January but was out of the country, and I updated them about me coming back and being available for an in person interview towards the end of February and got an e-mail the first week of March asking for me to come in for a group interview. The interviewer told us not to expect any replies for at least a week or so, but I ended up hearing back the day after my interview.

11 hours ago, NTN244 said:

It went quite well! It was a small group, 4 people including myself, so the interview felt more intimate and relaxed. I really liked our interviewer, she really made us feel at ease and was informative about the program. We talked a bit about ourselves and our motivations in going into social work, and then discussed a specific scenario (in which an older client cooks for you during a home visit, what do you do?). It really was so that the interviewer could get to know you more and see if the school would be a good fit.

So, the interview was yesterday and I received an e-mail today letting me know that my final decision was in and I was accepted. So to summarize, I submitted my application and it was completed in October and my portal was updated around the end of December that I was 'Pending Interview.' I received an invitation to come in for a group interview in late January but was out of the country, and I updated them about me coming back and being available for an in person interview towards the end of February and got an e-mail the first week of March asking for me to come in for a group interview. The interviewer told us not to expect any replies for at least a week or so, but I ended up hearing back the day after my interview.

I was in that interview as well and also got my acceptance email yesterday! Congratulations.

My application was completed on 1/27 and I received an invitation to interview last week via email. I will be attending Hunter in the Fall on the 2-year clinical practice track.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, AlabasterSeas said:

We're in pretty similar boats. I reached out to admissions but never got a response. I'm guessing they might not respond to emails requesting updates. I might reach out again on Friday if I still haven't heard anything.

I'm in the same position. I ended up calling them this past Monday and they said decisions/interview emails will be sent out within next two weeks. Good luck! 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:26 PM, NTN244 said:

how was the writing sample experience/ how much time was given?

On 3/13/2020 at 11:03 AM, nn72 said:

I was in that interview as well and also got my acceptance email yesterday! Congratulations.

My application was completed on 1/27 and I received an invitation to interview last week via email. I will be attending Hunter in the Fall on the 2-year clinical practice track.

how was ur experience with the interview? and the writing sample as well?

20 hours ago, lala123 said:

how was the writing sample experience/ how much time was given?

I believe it was about 30 minutes for the sample. The reading was dense, the interviewer said we should find it to be difficult, but the prompt was relatively simple. Physically writing out the response was a bit tedious as I've been out of school for a few years, and I honestly was a little nervous thinking about how I thought I did. I did get accepted though, so it must not have been that bad.

I'll be submitting my deposit for Silberman soon!

On 3/12/2020 at 11:26 PM, NTN244 said:

Just out of curiosity (and since you got in -- congrats by the way!) can you share how you answered the interview question?

On 3/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, originalowl said:

I'm in the same position. I ended up calling them this past Monday and they said decisions/interview emails will be sent out within next two weeks. Good luck! 

Fingers crossed! I ended up emailing them and got a response today that said decisions and interview requests will be sent out "in the coming weeks" and I was warned it might take longer than normal... It did not leave me feeling reassured. ??

Good luck to you too!

On 3/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, HG2020 said:

Just out of curiosity (and since you got in -- congrats by the way!) can you share how you answered the interview question?

Thanks! I talked a little bit about my past experiences and how I've been working in the education field all my professional career, and I was frank about my lack of experience in the field of social work. The interviewer also asked us about our future plans, and I said that I was pretty open and flexible. I know what population I would ideally want to work with, but since I lack experience, I don't have a clear idea of where I want to go and thus hoped that field education would give me a better idea and sense of direction.

In regards to the specific scenario, the interviewer established that there was no pre-existing policy about sitting down for a meal with a client. Initially, I said that I would not want to blur the line between a professional and personal relationship if the same situation came up in the field I was previously in, but when the group discussed it further, I expressed openness in maybe sitting down with the client. All of us in the interview had different answers and reasoning, and the interviewer had initially said there was no right or wrong answer and I felt like she didn't make any of us feel like we gave a "wrong answer."

I definitely was not as articulate or as on top of it as I had hoped to be (I just came back from traveling and got the interview notification like, a day after I came back so I was still jet-lagged) but the interviewer gave us room to expand on our answers and express our answers more clearly if she felt like it was needed, so don't worry too much about that.

33 minutes ago, Gelibutter said:

So my portal updated a few days ago to "Pending interview" how long before they reach out with a day/time? Can anyone give me a time frame? 

thats awesome!! congrats :) r they doing online interviews??

when was ur application complete? ive been waiting for so so long it feels like :(

Did anyone notice that Hunter extended their application deadline to April 15th? ?

This has me extremely nervous. If they're accepting applications until April 15th, does that mean it could be SUMMER before I hear back? Not to mention that ALL of my other schools need my decision by the 15th...

I'm pulling my hair out. My options are pretty much Go To Hunter or Accrue Mountains of Debt. The silence is killing me!!

19 hours ago, HG2020 said:

Did anyone notice that Hunter extended their application deadline to April 15th? ?

This has me extremely nervous. If they're accepting applications until April 15th, does that mean it could be SUMMER before I hear back? Not to mention that ALL of my other schools need my decision by the 15th...

I'm pulling my hair out. My options are pretty much Go To Hunter or Accrue Mountains of Debt. The silence is killing me!!

Yeah, I'm also worried about it. But at this point I'm starting to think of deferring until next year. Not a good time to take out student loans since the economy is tanking and lenders are going to be more risk-averse.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:08 PM, HG2020 said:

Update... I JUST got accepted!!! Without an interview!

I feel silly for freaking out. Everyone check your web portals! Good luck!

@HG2020 Congrats!!! Just wondering: did you apply to the 2-year full time or OYR program?

Anyone else still waiting to hear and want to commiserate with me? :)

My application portal was updated with "Pending Interview" 2 days ago but I still haven't received any information about next steps.

Meanwhile, decision deadlines for other schools are looming next week. Pretty frustrating...

Hey guys!

Not so patiently waiting anymore. I submitted my application on 1/31/20 and it was completed on 2/28/20. My application status is “submitted.” 

Just a week left until the deadline. Do you think we’ll get an influx of acceptances/rejections by then? 

8 hours ago, FMF2020 said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear and want to commiserate with me? :)

My application portal was updated with "Pending Interview" 2 days ago but I still haven't received any information about next steps.

Meanwhile, decision deadlines for other schools are looming next week. Pretty frustrating...

On 3/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, Gelibutter said:

So my portal updated a few days ago to "Pending interview" how long before they reach out with a day/time? Can anyone give me a time frame? 

My portal has also been updated with Pending Interview. I'm speculating that the delay/lack of word from them may be related to difficulties around interview logistics with COVID-19... If it's not a mistake, that is, which I am hoping it's not! ?

Hi. I checked my account tonight and it says pending program decision. I finished my application on 1/31 and it was completed on 2/21. I received a few calls from Hunter urging me to submit certain documents because of a clinch In the system and not recognizing an undergraduate college. Also, my job made a mistake in the agreement letter for the OYR program and I received a call again, urging me to submit the corrected letter. It made me feel like hunter was interested in me. Well, I am pending. 

On 4/8/2020 at 1:34 PM, MMH0913 said:

Hey guys!

Not so patiently waiting anymore. I submitted my application on 1/31/20 and it was completed on 2/28/20. My application status is “submitted.” 

Just a week left until the deadline. Do you think we’ll get an influx of acceptances/rejections by then? 

I sent in my application on 1/30 and it was completed on 2/4 and on my application it still says "submitted". This is just super frustrating because I've heard back from all other schools and we all need to make decisions soon. 

Hopefully they will send out an influx before next week.

hey folks-

I sent in my application on 1/31, it was submitted on 3/3, and just changed to “pending interview”

i have yet to receive an email or any information about scheduling.

i reached out to admissions twice during this time, the first to confirm that my documents were all in, and then last week when they extended the deadline to April 15, asking how this would effect the people who had submitted by the first deadline.

they didn’t answer the question, just asked for patience and I’ll have an answer in the “upcoming weeks”

hope this was helpful