Hunter Silberman School Fall 2020 MSW

MSWFall2020

Realized no one has started the 2020 thread yet and that it would be good to share our experiences here to alleviate one another's anxieties. I applied on 12/18 and my application was complete on 12/23. Haven't heard yet, but read in last year's thread that it would take around 8 weeks for the application to be processed. I was hoping an early application meant an early response and decision. Oh well! Anyone hear anything yet?

• 2 weeks later...

My submission date was 9/26 and my application was completed on 10/11. I checked the portal right before the winter break started and my status was changed to 'Pending Interview' around then.

I received an e-mail inviting me for an interview last week, and the available slots were for this week but I couldn't attend the in-person interview. They said they'd get back to me about dates for a remote interview soon.

Edited by NTN244

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this thread is here! I submitted my application December 13 and it was confirmed on Dec 20 - still haven't heard anything back, but I'm beginning to hear back from other schools as of this week. 

Side note - has anyone here considered the possibility of putting a deposit down at another school, while waiting hear back from Hunter? I've heard mixed feedback on what the repercussions of this might be, but given how late Hunter may give their decision (I've heard as late as April or May), it feels risky to decline other offers while waiting for them to send their decision. Hunter is my most affordable option, and it's definitely at the top of my list, but I don't want to lose out on the opportunity to go to grad school altogether. Would love to hear what others have been thinking about this. 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:59 PM, queenshopeful said:

Glad this thread is here! I submitted my application December 13 and it was confirmed on Dec 20 - still haven't heard anything back, but I'm beginning to hear back from other schools as of this week. 

Side note - has anyone here considered the possibility of putting a deposit down at another school, while waiting hear back from Hunter? I've heard mixed feedback on what the repercussions of this might be, but given how late Hunter may give their decision (I've heard as late as April or May), it feels risky to decline other offers while waiting for them to send their decision. Hunter is my most affordable option, and it's definitely at the top of my list, but I don't want to lose out on the opportunity to go to grad school altogether. Would love to hear what others have been thinking about this. 

Hi! I'm in a similar position; I submitted my application December 18th and it was confirmed complete on 12/23. I've heard back from NYU and it seems likely that I will not receive a decision from Hunter before I have to decide in March. My understanding is that you'll lose your full deposit if you then decide not to attend but I'm not sure there are repercussions beyond that. As decision deadlines approach, I imagine it would be helpful to reach out ot the admissions office to request an extension for responding. You can always frame the issue financially, i.e., "While I remain strongly interested in attending X University in the fall, I would feel more comfortable making a final decision after considering all of my admission offers and financial aid packages." It's worth asking--the worst case scenario is they say no and you have to put down a deposit to secure a spot at a school.

Edited by eec229

1 hour ago, Gelibutter said:

Same. Submitted mine like 1/31/20 and it was completed 2/10... we gonna be waiting a long time  lol 

I applied to Fordham honestly Fordham is probably my top choice right now... Hunter is great but has it’s pros and cons ... and am applying to NYU

On 1/22/2020 at 11:48 PM, NTN244 said:

My submission date was 9/26 and my application was completed on 10/11. I checked the portal right before the winter break started and my status was changed to 'Pending Interview' around then.

I received an e-mail inviting me for an interview last week, and the available slots were for this week but I couldn't attend the in-person interview. They said they'd get back to me about dates for a remote interview soon.

did u end up having ur interview? if so, howd it go?

I am so glad I found this thread!

I applied to NYU (1/10), Hunter (1/20) and Columbia (1/20). 

Hunter is my top choice and I've had the same fears of having a group interview and whether I'd hear back in time with other deadlines. I got accepted into NYU already and went to an info session. I'm already working at a Social Services agency as well and hoping to make that my field placement. 

Wishing the best of luck for everyone on their social work journey, keep me updated!

On 2/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, udsf said:

Hey all! I submitted my application for the OYR program on 1/1/2020 and completed it on 2/4/2020. Still waiting! :) 

I received my acceptance letter to the program yesterday 2/26! Good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, queenshopeful said:

I received an invitation for an interview for the 2 year full time program on 2/25! They sent an invitation to choose between 3 different interview times, so I'll be doing mine next week. Good luck to everyone! 

12 hours ago, udsf said:

I received my acceptance letter to the program yesterday 2/26! Good luck to everyone!

thats awesome many congrats to u!!! did u have an interview?

On 2/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, daddydevito said:

Did they invite you to do a group interview as the next part of the application process? I'm worried cause I submitted 2/3. 

Congrats!

Thank you! 

No its weird, I didn't have to interview. They sent me an email and letter of acceptance. I have three + years of experience in the social work field, maybe that's why? 

Hunter is known to take their time with sending out interview invites/acceptances. Good Luck :) 

I submitted my application on 1/23 and it was completed on 1/29. Still no word. Nothing in my portal either.

So far, I've been accepted to three of the five programs I applied to. No rejections yet. Hunter is my top choice and I'm waiting to hear back from them, but I've already had to put down a deposit at one school because they would not extend the deadline.

I'm really frustrated, and debating reaching out to them, but I don't want to seem unprofessional and hurt my chances!! Has anyone had any luck reaching out to admissions?

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!

Edited by HG2020
adding a question

16 hours ago, HG2020 said:

I submitted my application on 1/23 and it was completed on 1/29. Still no word. Nothing in my portal either.

So far, I've been accepted to three of the five programs I applied to. No rejections yet. Hunter is my top choice and I'm waiting to hear back from them, but I've already had to put down a deposit at one school because they would not extend the deadline.

I'm really frustrated, and debating reaching out to them, but I don't want to seem unprofessional and hurt my chances!! Has anyone had any luck reaching out to admissions?

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!

We're in pretty similar boats. I reached out to admissions but never got a response. I'm guessing they might not respond to emails requesting updates. I might reach out again on Friday if I still haven't heard anything.