Is it a good idea to reach out to PIs pre-interview day?

thelilypad

Hiya, 

Probably a newb question but I don't have much academic formal research experience. I've so far received invites for BISB at UCSD and QCB at USC, and I'm slated to go to the interviews on Feb 7 and Feb 3 respectively. There's a few professors I have significant interest in working with, so I'm wondering would it be good form to contact them pre-interview day? If so, what should I try to discuss with them?

Thanks!

There isn't really any point. Request them for interviews when they're making your schedule, and you'll be able to talk to them in person. The interview is more of a meeting than an interview. It's a chance for you to get to know them and ask all your questions as much as it's a chance for them to see your personality.

11 hours ago, depressroaway said:

was also wondering this as I have one interview slated, and I wanted to make a personal connection

is it worthwhile contacting in advance asking for a skype interview? 

You want an interview before your interview?

Put them on your list of people you want to interview with - better to meet them in person. When I was interviewing the only people I put on the top of my list that I didn't get to meet with were people who were out of town. If that happens, you contact them to chat over Skype or the phone AFTER the interview weekend.

Contacting them in advance won't necessarily make them like you more or help your admission chances.

I did several pre-interviews with professors, but this was to gage whether a professor was a good fit before applying to the programs. If you have an interview weekend already scheduled, I'd wait to talk to them until the in person interview. Make sure to get an idea of what they work on ahead of time, for both people you are and are not interested in working with.

You're not interviewing with them to join their lab at this stage (you will set up rotations later when you are actually admitted and sometimes not until after you actually start the program) but there's probably no harm in contacting them to express the hope that you get to talk to them on the interview weekend and maybe a brief blurb about yourself or what interests you in their lab. This may not have any effect as it's not necessarily up to them who they speak to and they might not even be participating.

Put them on a list of people you want to talk to (if the coordinator requested it). If you don't interview them then (very good chance you will not talk to a specific PI) then try to seek them out at any social gathering the program might have. For UCSD, there will be a dinner and many faculty will show up. I don't know what USC does. If you emailed them ahead of time, then at least they will have "heard" of you before you walk up and approach it and it could make the interaction easier.