Calling all French PHD 2020 Applicants ...

MonsieurHonoré

Bonjour à tous, à toutes! (Pasting this here as well, as it's my first time on GradCafé and idk which forum is more appropriate) 

I've applied to several PhD programs in French (some : NYU, Yale, Princeton, Brown, UVA, Cornell, etc.)  and I'm most impatiently waiting to hear any news ... so far, the radio silence is starting to get to me. Has anyone heard anything ... anything at all (from anywhere - doesn't have to be the above listed schools)? Any news or information would be appreciated immensely!  

I'm an Early Modernist currently finishing an MA with several niche areas of research, so for the purpose of anonymity, I'm going to leave it at that.

Wishing everyone good luck and an awesome 2020!

Glad to hear from someone else ... and that post in the admissions decision page was actually one that I put on there earlier lol to see in anyone else heard. They took my other post down when I didn't put "email" on there, so sorry for the false alarm! Not really sure how this site works yet or what the protocol is, but I just did what I saw someone else do there 

Bonjour tout le monde !

The forum has been surprisingly silent regarding PhD programs in French this season. I am glad we finally have a thread.

I applied to NYU, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell and Yale. I don't know when we'll start hearing back from the programs... In the meantime, fingers are crossed for everyone!

@Volodine1 Mine is probably Yale because of the resources for Early Modernists, though UVA is really nice as well - but I'm really enjoying the program I'm currently in - it's given me a ton of teaching experience in 2 years' time (I've been able to teach like 5 or 6 classes already) and a lot of freedom, so if I do get accepted anywhere else, it's going to be a tough decision. 

@MonsieurHonoré indeed, the deadline was really early. It was really stressful to wrap up the application in time, but it eventually allowed me to be more relaxed for the other applications since I re-used more or less the same pieces.

@Emmanuelle best of luck! 

Also, to all of you on here: what were your GRE scores like? Mine were really good for the verbal section, average for quantitative, and average/low for analytical writing. To be honest, I had not prepared at all, and I am an international applicant so the whole standardized test kind of thing really unnerved me. I really hope the admissions committee will have a holistic approach.

@Robert_Kerans My GRE scores were all fairly average, verbal being the highest, with the quantitative being the worst (they don't look at the math really though, at least that's what I've been told during my first and now second time doing this). I'm hoping that the conferences and research/teaching experience that I've done makes up for it. I asked one of my profs here, and he said in all honesty, don't worry about it too much - and while it does depend, many of the programs just have that on the requirements list because it is a school-wide requirement, and many, including NYU, Brown, UVA, Princeton have dropped it (depending on the program - I applied to literature for NYU). I HATE standardised testing personally, I don't believe in it, and I find it an unrealistic representation of a person. If you're an international student, I might even worry about it less.

I wouldn’t worry much about the GRE scores. Half the programs I applied to didn’t require them. The strongest component of my application is my writing sample as well as publications and conferences. 

8 hours ago, MonsieurHonoré said:

@Milyd Best of luck!! Tulane has a great funding package, and the DGS was extremely nice and personable a year and a half ago (I think it's still the same prof). 

Merci! I think it's still him because the person I talked to was extremely nice.