Fall 2020 Canadian College Graduate Applicants

Findingapurpose

Hello everyone,

I wanted to create to group to gather everyone who are also applying for graduate schools in Canada. Here is my list:

- University of Alberta (First Choice)- Found a potential Supervisor

- University of British Columbia

- McGill University - Found a potential Supervisor

- Western Ontario University

- University of Manitoba

- Dalhousie University

- University of Saskatchewan

-Laurier University

- Queens University - Found a supervisor

Applied to the following Canadian universities for  the M.S. in  Mathematics &Statistics or Biostatistics program for the term Fall 2020!!!

- University of British Columbia

- McGill University

- University of Victoria

- University of Alberta

- University of Manitoba

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've applied to

• McMaster (Health Policy PhD)
  • Laurier (Community Psychology PhD)
  • York U (Health Policy & Equity PhD)

Fingers crossed. Also- does anyone know how to use LORIS??? how do i check my application status

Hello, I've applied to

University of Alberta - (first choice) (M.A. Thesis in East Asian Studies)
University of Toronto - (M.A. in East Asian Studies)
Simon Fraser University - (M.A. in Humanities)

A bit sad that I haven't heard anything yet. :(

Edited by ChristianP

My first choice and only application so far is to McMaster (Neuroscience). I have contacted a supervisor and he seemed positive, but I'm freaking out anyway :) 

4 hours ago, Neurowoman said:

My first choice and only application so far is to McMaster (Neuroscience). I have contacted a supervisor and he seemed positive, but I'm freaking out anyway :) 

My potential supervisor from uofALBERTA told me since January 15th that I should received my admission papers soon. Believe me you, I analyzed that sentence from weeks until I got tired of it. How soon? What do you mean? Is  it next week, in a month? Lol! I am glad my current internship put me out of my misery as I have a lot of work to do. You should definitely find something to make the time go faster

22 hours ago, Findingapurpose said:

My potential supervisor from uofALBERTA told me since January 15th that I should received my admission papers soon. Believe me you, I analyzed that sentence from weeks until I got tired of it. How soon? What do you mean? Is  it next week, in a month? Lol! I am glad my current internship put me out of my misery as I have a lot of work to do. You should definitely find something to make the time go faster

good to know I'm not the only one in misery! I have even found another place to apply as a back up. Thankfully my next weeks are very full and I found out my potential supervisor will be giving a lecture in the hospital I work at next week, so I'll sneak in and low key ask about it after the lecture. Best of luck!

On 3/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, Neurowoman said:

Can I ask  how you got around to talking with your POI? Did you straight up just ask them if you made it in?

7 hours ago, l8duong said:

Can I ask  how you got around to talking with your POI? Did you straight up just ask them if you made it in?

Haha no, I sent a mail introducing myself and telling very briefly what I have worked on, with who and what I'm interested in working on next. Also, I asked about his research team and his availability to supervise me and mentioned I will be going to Toronto soon for a conference and would like to visit McMaster with my current research team. He replied saying he would be glad to have me there and guide me through the facilities. I didnt know what to think of the answer at first but my current supervisor said it's good, because when they are not very interested they don't take the time to get around with the student

Hi all! I just heard from Simon Fraser (History) with an acceptance and great package. They said the deadline to let them know of my plans to accept/decline is March 20th...This is so much earlier than other schools and very soon. Is this somewhat typical with Canada? I've applied to US schools as well and all have April (and one school likely won't let me know till later in March...) 

Edited by starshiphistory

3 hours ago, starshiphistory said:

Hi all! I just heard from Simon Fraser (History) with an acceptance and great package. They said the deadline to let them know of my plans to accept/decline is March 20th...This is so much earlier than other schools and very soon. Is this somewhat typical with Canada? I've applied to US schools as well and all have April (and one school likely won't let me know till later in March...) 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

On 1/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, flatwhiteplease said:

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I applied for an MA in Economics:

- University of Toronto

- Queen's University

Queen's is my first choice, but in the end it all comes down to funding. I did my undergrad in Math and Economics at UofT. 

Hey, have you heard from Queen's yet?

On 3/7/2020 at 6:07 PM, invisiblehand2702 said:

Hey, have you heard from Queen's yet?

Not yet, and I'm getting kind of anxious about it :( Received an acceptance from UofT about a week ago though. Have you also applied for an Economics MA at Queen's?

4 hours ago, Patricia.H said:

I applied to UBC. Haven't heard anything yet.

Have you submitted all the required documents? Did you check the portal to see if they had received and viewed your documents?

If they did then you'll probably hear from them. I was expecting them to like update the status of the application as time goes by but it only stated "In Progress" and then around mid last week boom they mailed me that I was rejected!!!

Other universities keep informing of the stage of review like "Submitted" "In Progress" "Under Review" "Under Department Review" and then comes the final decision but UBC never had aby of that!!! Even I started freaking out cuz it was "In progress" like for ever... 

Don't worry you'll hear from them soon.

Good Luck!! Wishing you the very best.