Fall 2020 Admissions Thread

BairnOwl

This place seems really quiet, but hopefully an admissions thread will bring some people out of the woodwork. 

I'll start by saying I've gotten into master's degrees at UPenn and USC so far. I'm currently impatiently waiting for all my results to roll in, though I know it'll take months.

Applied to 12 schools (regretting this) and got accepted to my first one!! Wisconsin-Madison masters with scholarship and 50% TA (about ~22K per year)

Anxiously waiting for the rest.

I applied to the PhD at University of Washington as well. 

5 hours ago, coffeelover123 said:

Applied to 12 schools (regretting this) and got accepted to my first one!! Wisconsin-Madison masters with scholarship and 50% TA (about ~22K per year)

HI, u applied for PhD program at U-W Madison?

Applied to too many schools. Still waiting to hear from my top one -- little anxious cause other people have been getting admits and I'm applying for a sub(sub?)field that's getting only more hot. 

It's also kind of weird because while some other folk have gotten interviews from there and I haven't, I also reached out to/chatted with two of the profs. One of them didn't exactly have a fit (and I hope I didn't seem like too much of a dumbass, lol) but the other one was okay, so I'm really not sure how to balance those factors.

Worst comes to worst, I stay at my current cushy industry job... but man, having a change would be nice.

Edited by IndustryApplicant

Oh, and cause some people have been wondering when official rejections come out - I've got official rejections from CMU and Princeton. Not surprised by either given my "competitive, but not exactly cream of the crop" profile, though it is interesting since I did get an interview with the latter. (That said, the prof that I chatted with really didn't align with the interests listed in my SOP, so I was more surprised by the interview than the rejection on that one, lol.)

Edited by IndustryApplicant

On 2/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, coffeelover123 said:

Congrats!! I got rejected lol. Just out of curiosity, is the 50% TA in addition to scholarship funds?

Hi

I don't know where to apply yet. I'm from Europe and want to stay here, but I'm looking for possibilities to study abroad.

Still have to write my thesis, in which I can hopefully show my skills, because it looks like I don't have a solid portfolio from the attended courses, even though they covered a lot of material and practical projects. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, coffeelover123 said:

Congrats for the offer. 

Somehow I don't see too many people commenting here, even though I can see many accepts on the results page.  

On 2/5/2020 at 11:17 PM, IndustryApplicant said:

Applied to too many schools. Still waiting to hear from my top one -- little anxious cause other people have been getting admits and I'm applying for a sub(sub?)field that's getting only more hot. 

It's also kind of weird because while some other folk have gotten interviews from there and I haven't, I also reached out to/chatted with two of the profs. One of them didn't exactly have a fit (and I hope I didn't seem like too much of a dumbass, lol) but the other one was okay, so I'm really not sure how to balance those factors.

Worst comes to worst, I stay at my current cushy industry job... but man, having a change would be nice.

Ohh, seems like you are in a very similar place as I was during my applications. But usually getting interviews is a good sign, and also depending on which programs you are talking about, the timeline and the process can vary a lot. Many programs have a very spaced out process -- I myself received some interview calls even in March.   

On 2/7/2020 at 5:36 AM, BairnOwl said:

Congrats!! I got rejected lol. Just out of curiosity, is the 50% TA in addition to scholarship funds?

Thanks! It is full tuition reimbursement, health benefits, and $22,500 pee year (50% TA)

Edited by coffeelover123

14 hours ago, GeorgiaTechPhd said:

Congrats for the offer. 

Somehow I don't see too many people commenting here, even though I can see many accepts on the results page.  

Thanks! Yes this forum is very quiet for CS

5 hours ago, Robbentheking said:

It really would make more sense imo if people asked questions and had admissions related correspondence in the forum instead of on the results page. there's a lot of non-results there right now haha

Yes, the whole CMU "scammer" speculation and checking of link is very annoying in the results page and can easily be moved to the forum >.>

I just feel bad for the people perusing these results the next year lol

On 2/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, GeorgiaTechPhd said:

Ohh, seems like you are in a very similar place as I was during my applications. But usually getting interviews is a good sign, and also depending on which programs you are talking about, the timeline and the process can vary a lot. Many programs have a very spaced out process -- I myself received some interview calls even in March.   

Hi,

Could I know when you heard something from GaTech during your application? Did you have any interviews from GaTech? Thx.