UPenn GSE MSED Fall2020

Ran_Chen

19 hours ago, honeydewreader said:

Hi, I applied for TESOL program in Penn GSE on December 2019 and I haven't heard any news. Does anyone apply for TESOL program as well here? 

I applied for TESOL in my third choice. A lot of people during the last webinar applied for the program. They asked about the reading materials there. And one of the GAs said they read a lot. But do not worry, Penn has a lot of free journal databases. TESOL has a group chat for 2019 students. That is all I know. I hope this helps!

Was asked to crosspost over here since people were asking about TESOL (I received my acceptance on Monday). Here are my stats, in case anyone finds them useful:

Program: L&T

GRE score: 162V / 154Q / 5.5AWA

Work experience: 5.5 years teaching Mandarin Chinese and coaching debate at New England K-12 independent school

Undergrad information: East Asian Studies (BA) at Wellesley College (graduated 2014)

Undergrad GPA: 3.13 - dealt with serious mental illness issues during undergrad and left Wellesley feeling pretty glum about my future. Found my current teaching job by accident; fell in love quick.

LOR/SOP: LORs from 2 undergrad professors as well as principal of current school. I was really happy with my SOP, and I don't think I would've had as much a story to tell without having worked a while following undergrad. I talked about how legacy/traditional methods of teaching Chinese (lots of memorization, etc) proved to be highly exclusionary and inequitable in my own classroom, particularly to those students who needed to learn Mandarin the most (namely Chinese adoptees). Framed effective, comprehensible WL pedagogy as a social justice issue.

What other schools did you apply to: Brandeis, Columbia, Georgetown, Harvard, NYU, Stanford, UConn

On 3/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, thankyouforbreathing said:

Was asked to crosspost over here since people were asking about TESOL (I received my acceptance on Monday). Here are my stats, in case anyone finds them useful:

Program: L&T

GRE score: 162V / 154Q / 5.5AWA

Work experience: 5.5 years teaching Mandarin Chinese and coaching debate at New England K-12 independent school

Undergrad information: East Asian Studies (BA) at Wellesley College (graduated 2014)

Undergrad GPA: 3.13 - dealt with serious mental illness issues during undergrad and left Wellesley feeling pretty glum about my future. Found my current teaching job by accident; fell in love quick.

LOR/SOP: LORs from 2 undergrad professors as well as principal of current school. I was really happy with my SOP, and I don't think I would've had as much a story to tell without having worked a while following undergrad. I talked about how legacy/traditional methods of teaching Chinese (lots of memorization, etc) proved to be highly exclusionary and inequitable in my own classroom, particularly to those students who needed to learn Mandarin the most (namely Chinese adoptees). Framed effective, comprehensible WL pedagogy as a social justice issue.

What other schools did you apply to: Brandeis, Columbia, Georgetown, Harvard, NYU, Stanford, UConn

Thank you, Patricia!  ❤️