UPenn GSE MSED Fall2020

Ran_Chen

Hi guys, I just received the interview request from UPenn. Wanna to know if you have any suggestion or tips that can help me stand out from the crowd?

This is an international application; however, I went to an US college for bachelor degree.

My GPA and GRE are both poor, but I have some research projects, study aboard experience (in US and UK), and some internships.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, Sopranos said:

Hi @Ran_Chen! How did your interview go (assuming it's already done)?

Hi, I just received the offer. The interview is actually not parts of the admission process, it's more like a chance for you to interview the school. It went well, we talked for 20mins and she said I would definitely be the incoming student.

8 hours ago, Ran_Chen said:

Hi, I just received the offer. The interview is actually not parts of the admission process, it's more like a chance for you to interview the school. It went well, we talked for 20mins and she said I would definitely be the incoming student.

That's great! Congratulations! ?

20 hours ago, Ran_Chen said:

Congrats! Does anyone know how the interview is used for the mental health counseling program? 

hi guys! I applied and was just accepted to (about half an hour ago) to the  UPenn GSE Higher Education, MSEd program!

No interview, email came saying there was a decision made and to check portal!

Good luck to everyone else!

Just now, finnley said:

hi guys! I applied and was just accepted to (about half an hour ago) to the  UPenn GSE Higher Education, MSEd program!

No interview, email came saying there was a decision made and to check portal!

Good luck to everyone else!

Congratulations! Could I ask you when you applied? I applied about 3 weeks ago and wanted to get an idea about how long they take to make decisions.

Just now, seskande said:

Congratulations! Could I ask you when you applied? I applied about 3 weeks ago and wanted to get an idea about how long they take to make decisions.

thanks! i applied Dec 1 :)

i had emailed them a couple weeks back asking when i would hear back and they said:

Thank you for your message. The Higher Education program has a priority deadline of February 15th. This means that they will start reviewing applications after the deadline has passed, and decisions will be released early to mid-March.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:11 PM, Ruoci Shen said:

Hi @Ran_Chen! Can I ask how long does your admission process go? When did you receive your interview after the date they started to review? Thanks!

I submitted all my materials in the early of January, and I received the interview invitation at the end of January. It's a really faster process, about 3 weeks long.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:27 AM, ikagi_uc said:

Hey
I am also applying to upenn gse in a few days for the iedp program. what program are u applying for? i have a bachelors degree from ucla but with a poor gpa and did not take the gre. 

Hi Ikagi! I am also applying for the IEDP. Nice to meet you and everyone here! ? 

21 hours ago, Ruoci Shen said:

I just got the offer from M.Ed. in ISHD! FYI, the process for my application was approximately 3 weeks.

No interview and there was an email saying I could check the decision on the website.

Good luck to everyone else!!

Hi Ruoci! I remember you from the Penn GSE webinar. Congratulations! ?

2 hours ago, Ruoci Shen said:

I got 10k merit scholarship but they did not offer me a GA position. But I guess we have to apply for those positions?

Yes, we do need to apply for GA positions. I emailed admissions about it back in mid-Feb. Not sure if different programs have different timelines. I got into M.Ed. in IEDP. 

13 hours ago, honeydewreader said:

Hi, I applied for TESOL program in Penn GSE on December 2019 and I haven't heard any news. Does anyone apply for TESOL program as well here? 

I also applied in December and have not heard anything yet... so hopefully no worries! Fingers crossed we hear back soon!

Hi everyone! I learned something about the work of GAs in IEDP. GAs manage social media accounts. They also work with guests for the lecture series. You guys should email your program coordinators at Penn GSE. They are nice. And they respond even if they are busy with their work and family. Whenever I talk to them, it feels like I am already in their class. They explain my questions clearly. 

Edited by Dann Batoon

On 3/3/2020 at 5:21 AM, Tea_Drinker said:

Yes, we do need to apply for GA positions. I emailed admissions about it back in mid-Feb. Not sure if different programs have different timelines. I got into M.Ed. in IEDP. 

Congratulations! May I ask how long you waited for the results? Thank you!