Relg in Southeast Asia Applicants?

elizbiz

I was wondering if anyone else out there is enrolled in/applying for grad programs for Religion programs with focus on SE Asia or vice versa? I am applying for master's programs for Fall 2020 and also summer language programs like SEASSI and the IU Language Workshop. I know I didn't cast my net as wide as I should have, but I am applying for Cornell's Asian Studies M.A., Wisconsin-Madison's M.A. in Southeast Asian Studies, and Syracuse's M.A. in Religion. I am also applying for FLAS funding for both of those schools.  I am very nervous about how competitive the programs are, not mind-blowingly high GRE scores, how likely FLAS funding is, and just general acceptance stress.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience or is going through the same process!

Edited by elizbiz
clarification and more information

• 2 weeks later...

I forget the exact numbers, and it does fluctuate a little each other, but Syracuse admits 2-4 M.A. students a year with full funding and no TA/GA obligations. From my unofficial interview there several years ago, all M.A. students are eligible to continue on into the Ph.D. through an internal application process (interviewer mentioned that in their nearly 30 years there they've only denied one internal application and that was because he kept taking courses in other departments and they no longer felt he was a suitable potential Ph.D. student in Religion). Most opt not to continue into the Ph.D. there but through no fault of the school - a lot of their M.A. graduates transition into another field, go onto higher ranked Ph.D. programs, or someone just doing it for personal reasons.

FLAS funding at Syracuse is pretty pervasive though I can't speak to Religion specifically. I knew a lot of students in History, Sociology, and Political Science that had it.

My wife did her Ph.D. in Disability Studies at Syracuse so we lived there for about five years - glad to talk about the city and school if needed!

On 2/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, xypathos said:

I forget the exact numbers, and it does fluctuate a little each other, but Syracuse admits 2-4 M.A. students a year with full funding and no TA/GA obligations. From my unofficial interview there several years ago, all M.A. students are eligible to continue on into the Ph.D. through an internal application process (interviewer mentioned that in their nearly 30 years there they've only denied one internal application and that was because he kept taking courses in other departments and they no longer felt he was a suitable potential Ph.D. student in Religion). Most opt not to continue into the Ph.D. there but through no fault of the school - a lot of their M.A. graduates transition into another field, go onto higher ranked Ph.D. programs, or someone just doing it for personal reasons.

FLAS funding at Syracuse is pretty pervasive though I can't speak to Religion specifically. I knew a lot of students in History, Sociology, and Political Science that had it.

My wife did her Ph.D. in Disability Studies at Syracuse so we lived there for about five years - glad to talk about the city and school if needed!

wow, thank you for all this incredible information @xypathos! This is really insightful. I just heard from Syracuse and they want me to do a Skype interview with a graduate committee on Friday. I have my fingers-crossed!

Also, if I get accepted and ultimately choose SU (their masters funding package is definitely a strong selling point), then I will take you up on that offer. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, xypathos said:

On 2/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, elizbiz said:

wow, thank you for all this incredible information @xypathos! This is really insightful. I just heard from Syracuse and they want me to do a Skype interview with a graduate committee on Friday. I have my fingers-crossed!

Also, if I get accepted and ultimately choose SU (their masters funding package is definitely a strong selling point), then I will take you up on that offer. 

I was accepted and very strong considering accepting them!! Could you tell me a little about your experience in the city? And how you feel about the school and its culture, resources, etc.? I am trying to coordinate a visit, but unfortunately my work schedule limits me to only weekends.

1 hour ago, elizbiz said:

I was accepted and very strong considering accepting them!! Could you tell me a little about your experience in the city? And how you feel about the school and its culture, resources, etc.? I am trying to coordinate a visit, but unfortunately my work schedule limits me to only weekends.

Sure! I'm heading into class now but I'll send you a PM with my thoughts - just wanted you to know that I've seen this!