Video interview...with an alumna?

Janelle

Hi, I got an email from CMU for a video interview with an alumna.

1. Is this typical?

2. Should I expect different questions from her than if it was with an admissions director or professor?

3. What is/is not appropriate to ask? (For example, is it too time consuming to ask about their experience.)

Any help is appreciated!!

On 2/4/2020 at 12:28 AM, Janelle said:

Hi, I got an email from CMU for a video interview with an alumna.

1. Is this typical?

2. Should I expect different questions from her than if it was with an admissions director or professor?

3. What is/is not appropriate to ask? (For example, is it too time consuming to ask about their experience.)

Any help is appreciated!!

I'm not sure if things are different in your field, but I have had conversations with recent alums for professors who do not have any current senior graduate students who could speak to their mentorship in that time of training.

29 minutes ago, Modulus said:

I'm not sure if things are different in your field, but I have had conversations with recent alums for professors who do not have any current senior graduate students who could speak to their mentorship in that time of training.

Ah I see, that's a good topic to discuss...was this during informational interviews or during your official interview?

1 hour ago, ftppny said:

@Janelle Hi! I also got the same email and have scheduled it for next week. What about you?

Yes! Scheduled for next week for the MHCI program. Haven't had any other interviews so I'm pretty nervous.

Edited by Janelle
spelling mistake

@ftppny I think they only interview certain people? I don't know the percentage. The site says "Candidates may be considered for interviews as part of the admission process. Interviews would be scheduled via the email address you have listed on your application." I'm assuming you can get in without an interview as well...?

I’ve gone through interviews of CMU MHCI, CCA MDes, and IUB MHCI/d (the latter two are for language tho, I am international student). For your questions:

1. Yes. Interviews with alumni are conducted every year.

2. I don’t think so. It’s just about your experience, your understanding of the program, reasons for applying etc, kinda standard.

3. It will depend on the interviewer. The time was tight for my interview, only five minutes or so left to ask questions. But my interviewer was very nice and encouraged me to ask him anything about the program and his experience, so we ended up talking 15 mins extra of the prescribed 30 min session.

Feel free to ask me any further questions regarding these interviews.

4 hours ago, Ascender said:

I’ve gone through interviews of CMU MHCI, CCA MDes, and IUB MHCI/d (the latter two are for language tho, I am international student). For your questions:

1. Yes. Interviews with alumni are conducted every year.

2. I don’t think so. It’s just about your experience, your understanding of the program, reasons for applying etc, kinda standard.

3. It will depend on the interviewer. The time was tight for my interview, only five minutes or so left to ask questions. But my interviewer was very nice and encouraged me to ask him anything about the program and his experience, so we ended up talking 15 mins extra of the prescribed 30 min session.

Feel free to ask me any further questions regarding these interviews.

Very helpful, thank you!