2020 CANADIAN APPLICATIONS

Mstar

Hi Everyone, 

Now that results are coming up I wanted to create this thread for Canadian applicants since the venting thread is dominated with U.S. admission results. I've applied for the PhD at University of Toronto, Waterloo and York. So far it seems the results from UofT are coming in and Waterloo have come in for the Masters.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

2 minutes ago, sosososoc said:

I applied to the MA programs at McGill and University of Toronto. Unfortunately I have yet to hear from either despite several people reporting their acceptances. But trying to remain hopeful that maybe they're releasing them in rounds...

Same here, I wish they would just release all the decisions at once. 

Good luck with McGill and UofT!

2 hours ago, akjbri said:

I head back from UofT and Queens. I'm waiting on 4 more schools for my MA programs... The wait is making me so anxious

Congratulations! Where else did you apply to? U.S applications come in much sooner than Canadian ones. I think a large number of the results will be out in the next 2 months. Hopefully we will all hear some good news soon! 

10 hours ago, Mstar said:

Congratulations! Where else did you apply to? U.S applications come in much sooner than Canadian ones. I think a large number of the results will be out in the next 2 months. Hopefully we will all hear some good news soon! 

Thank you!

I applied to mcmaster, western, carleton, ottawa as well. I agree, I think most of the results will only be sent in late-February/March. It's hard to tell...

23 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

I applied to UofT and McGill! Haven't heard back ! Do they send out decisions in bulk ? 
My status still shows under review and submitted respectively!

Did you apply to MA or PhD programs? According to the results so far it seems that UofT at least is sending them in rounds since only a few people got acceptances and many people still have under review as their status. 

I did some research and this is what I found on UofT's school of graduate studies website: 

Q. When will I hear a decision on my application?

A. This varies by graduate unit, and is affected by the volume of applications received. Some early offers of admission are sent out in January or February; however, the majority of offers normally come in March. SGS generally advises applicants to expect a response by April, although decisions continue to be made after this point.

As for the Sociology department website it says: 

By mid-February, the department will have a short list of candidates for admission and will contact these applicants for copies of their official transcripts. We normally begin sending out offers in February and continue through March. All applicants will be able to check the status of their application in the online admission system by the end of February. 

I am guessing it is the same for both Masters and Phd.

1 hour ago, Mstar said:

Did you apply to MA or PhD programs? According to the results so far it seems that UofT at least is sending them in rounds since only a few people got acceptances and many people still have under review as their status. 

PhD. Yes I got the mail from the department. They are sending it in different rounds.

I applied to the PhD in Sociology at UBC, York, U of T and Mcgill, and so far only received an acceptance + full-funding from McGill. Waiting to hear back from the other schools.

Edited by webdubois

23 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

PhD. Yes I got the mail from the department. They are sending it in different rounds.

If you don't mind can you share when you got the acceptance email? Did your status change on portal? I remember a couple days ago you said it was still under review. 

21 hours ago, Mstar said:

If you don't mind can you share when you got the acceptance email? Did your status change on portal? I remember a couple days ago you said it was still under review. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, sosososoc said:

Congrats on your acceptance! They mentioned outright that they're releasing decisions in rounds?

I meant - I applied for the PhD programme and yes I had received a mail from the department that the decisions are being sent now, but not at once. I have not received any acceptance.

1 hour ago, toolkitsocio said:

I meant - I applied for the PhD programme and yes I had received a mail from the department that the decisions are being sent now, but not at once. I have not received any acceptance.

Oh I see, thank you for clarifying. At least now we know that the acceptance decisions have not all been sent out yet. Let's hope for some good news for all of us soon! 

20 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

any more updates regarding Toronto? saw some rejections on the results page. but I haven't any mail yet, status still shows under review? should I be hopeful ?

I unfortunately was one of the many people who received a rejection yesterday. In the email I received it said that the admissions committee has made all admission decisions. So you should hear something very soon. 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:52 PM, akjbri said:

@Mstar Sorry to hear that... Hopefully, McGill will have better news!

---

Also, I've heard back from all six of my applications - it looks like they're sending answers out earlier than their websites indicate. I hope everyone hears back soon so the anxiety can stop

I didn't apply for McGill but thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully you have heard some good news as well! Glad the waiting is over for you!

2 hours ago, Mstar said:

I didn't apply for McGill but thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully you have heard some good news as well! Glad the waiting is over for you!

Ohhh I misunderstood a previous post of yours - I just went through the thread again. Well, I just hope everyone gets good news soon and that you hear back from York and Waterloo soon with some positive news!

Has anyone heard from Dalhousie? Does anyone know if they send out acceptances in waves? by east coast to west coast?? alphabetically??? 

I saw that people received acceptances over a few days last week. Getting more nervous each day!! 

Hi all! Domestic applicant here. I applied to UofT, McMaster, Guelph, and Ottawa. I've had profs from Guelph and Ottawa contact me with updates, saying that my file is circulating around the department. Other than that, no news. I know people who've recently gotten into the direct entry PhD for my program at UofT (I only applied for the MSc) so the waiting has been killing me.

EDIT: just realized this thread was for sociology applications in particular, whoops. But good luck to everyone!

Edited by lolamm

19 hours ago, akjbri said:

Ohhh I misunderstood a previous post of yours - I just went through the thread again. Well, I just hope everyone gets good news soon and that you hear back from York and Waterloo soon with some positive news!

Thanks for the well wishes! 

Hi all! Jumping in here. I've applied for a PhD at McMaster, York and Laurier. I know a friend of mine got a call for an interview for Laurier with the same POI and program as me, but she's doing her masters. I'm not too optimistic, but I'm anxiously waiting and want more Canadian friends to talk to