Hi! I'm looking to apply to either a Clinical Psych PhD (with a clinical neuropsychology focus) or a Cognitive Neuroscience PhD for the fall 2021 admission cycle. 3.81 undergraduate GPA, honors student, going to do a thesis in the fall that could be applicable to either of these topics, I just need to nail it down with my advisor. I'm planning on graduating in December 2020 with a BA in Psychology, minor in Neuroscience. 

I have research experience. Currently, I work at a clinic that specializes in OCD and other related disorders as a research assistant. Primarily, I help create presentations for the head doctor for conferences, but I also have a publication contribution that should be official later this year. I also lead two studies here, albeit they are slow moving. I'm also working on a PhD candidate's dissertation out at a prominent psychiatric hospital conducting clinical interviews and running neuropsychological tests. Prior to this, I worked on another dissertation examining non-suicidal self injury and risk-taking behaviors. I also plan to apply for research positions during the semester I have off before the program would start in the fall of 2021. 

For this summer, I have applied to do research through the SURF program that is offered at many universities. I know that it might be a long shot, but I'm really trying to fit in as much research experience during my undergraduate years as I can. I know that many prestigious programs won't admit without a substantial amount.

Primarily, I want to examine the neural mechanisms within Autism, specifically facial recognition and emotional processing. I'm also intrigued by memory as a cognitive process, thought my interest in that area is much more broad.I took a clinical neuropsychology course where I studied anterograde amnesia in depth as part of a project, and I fell in love with the mystery surrounding the memory system. I feel like researching that area would be amazing, but I'm unsure of my career goals as a Cognitive Neuroscientist. I also do enjoy the research I do on OCD at the current clinic I'm at, and would be perfectly happy continuing to pursue that as well.

I have taken the GRE. I got a 156 V, 147 Q (Yikes), and a 4.5 AW. I definitely plan on taking it again this summer, and I'll probably utilize some kind of prep service to maximize my quant, because I know it's not great.

Right now, I'm thinking of applying to Yale, Fordham, Stony Brook, UConn, Columbia, Hofstra, Queens College, NYU (Cog Neuro), Boston University. If you have any school recommendations as well, please feel free to throw them my way. Do I have a chance with my current experience? Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks for reading, let me know.

Edited by expensiveswimmer

Definitely up your GRE and try to get more research products prior to applying (posters/pubs). I would also encourage you to think about what you want to do career wise. Clinical neuropsychology sets you up to do assessments/cognitive rehab and work with patients in a clinical setting as a licensed clinical psychologist. Cognitive neuroscience is a purely academic degree and will not allow for the clinical licensure. Make sure you know the endgame before applying as that can definitely change your decisions about programs.