Columbia and NYU

simonsays

Hi all! I applied and was accepted to both NYU and Columbia, and am trying to choose between the two. I would love anyone's opinions on the two, and also wanted to create a thread for NYU and CU folks who applied, were accepted, and/or committed? 

I haven't been accepted to Columbia (yet? hopefully), but the process that CU has put us through really left a bad taste in my mouth for the two years that would follow. Alternatively, NYU clearly said not everyone would know until Feb 22, and wouldn't tell you even a guess at the timeline of when you'd know back. They also didn't accidentally tell us that we were accepted when we were lmao. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any additional thoughts on NYU v Columbia. I was admitted to NYU in January and felt certain I'd attend, but was just accepted to Columbia. I think I'm still leaning toward NYU because I want to go into clinical practice, but I wonder if it's the right choice. I also don't know CU's financial aid package yet, so that might make a difference.

I attended NYU as an undergraduate and now live in Brooklyn, so I'm also happy to answer any NYC questions if any of you are new to the area!

5 hours ago, eec229 said:

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any additional thoughts on NYU v Columbia. I was admitted to NYU in January and felt certain I'd attend, but was just accepted to Columbia. I think I'm still leaning toward NYU because I want to go into clinical practice, but I wonder if it's the right choice. I also don't know CU's financial aid package yet, so that might make a difference.

I attended NYU as an undergraduate and now live in Brooklyn, so I'm also happy to answer any NYC questions if any of you are new to the area!

I was hoping to learn more about other's experiences in Columbia and NYU. I have been accepted to both (+ Fordham) and am in the same dilemma with deciding which one to go to.

@eec229 How was your undergrad experience at NYU? What were the strengths, challenges and rooms for improvement, if any?

10 hours ago, MyMSW2020 said:

I was hoping to learn more about other's experiences in Columbia and NYU. I have been accepted to both (+ Fordham) and am in the same dilemma with deciding which one to go to.

@eec229 How was your undergrad experience at NYU? What were the strengths, challenges and rooms for improvement, if any?

@MyMSW2020 I attended the NYU College of Arts and Science as an English Literature/Creative Writing major many years ago, so I'm not sure my experience with the school would be helpful for considering the MSW program. When I speak to alumni of NYU Silver, I mostly hear very positive feedback although a few people I spoke with had less than stellar experiences with their field placements and found the field placement office at NYU unhelpful when they had problems. I'm not sure how to evaluate this feedback, though, because I imagine that first year field placements can be difficult regardless of the school and I am under the impression that NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and Hunter place students at the same agencies throughout NYC.

hey y'all so I took a visit to both columbia and nyu recently. I went in with a fairly strong preference toward nyu (because clinical!) but the visit made me flip toward columbia. Feel free to pm me if you want details but generally I think visits during the week (if you can) is a great idea since they have very different vibes

3 hours ago, katp said:

@madisonc7 wait we weren't observing the same class were we???

No haha. i didn't get to observe a class, not sure why it didn't pan out that way. Just visited today. Did generic grad visit. I went to CU after but didn't get to do a tour because I waited too long to book. It actually pushed my pref towards NYU, so i'm stupid torn and have been crying for like an hour trying to figure out how I feel. It also was pouring rain and actually freezing when I got to CU, so I'm going to go back tomorrow or Sunday to reevaluate how I feel. 

13 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

No haha. i didn't get to observe a class, not sure why it didn't pan out that way. Just visited today. Did generic grad visit. I went to CU after but didn't get to do a tour because I waited too long to book. It actually pushed my pref towards NYU, so i'm stupid torn and have been crying for like an hour trying to figure out how I feel. It also was pouring rain and actually freezing when I got to CU, so I'm going to go back tomorrow or Sunday to reevaluate how I feel. 

yeah it's such a hard decision! good luck with the rest of the weekend!!

On 3/6/2020 at 8:09 PM, madisonc7 said:

Update?? I saw on the other thread you chose Columbia!

On 3/12/2020 at 1:47 AM, Allanaj said:

Update?? I saw on the other thread you chose Columbia!

Hi! Sorry I have been in chaos mode as I’m sure most are right now. Basically I went back to visit CU a few days later and it was sunny and everyone was out on the big steps to the library and the walk didn’t seem as far anymore and I kind of just felt like this was the call I needed to make. I was so tired of stressing about it and felt I’d have the most opportunity there so I said aaaaah screw it lets do this thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, katp said:

hey y'all so I took a visit to both columbia and nyu recently. I went in with a fairly strong preference toward nyu (because clinical!) but the visit made me flip toward columbia. Feel free to pm me if you want details but generally I think visits during the week (if you can) is a great idea since they have very different vibes

I just got accepted to Columbia and I'm trying to make this decision between the two! Can you help a girl out by describing your visits since I can't visit there!! 

I got accepted to both but I chose NYU! I've heard from friends that went to Columbia that they were not happy with the program and felt that they didn't learn much. They also said it was not inclusive enough having classes with professors that were mainly white and protested.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, daddydevito said:

I got accepted to both but I chose NYU! I've heard from friends that went to Columbia that they were not happy with the program and felt that they didn't learn much. They also said it was not inclusive enough having classes with professors that were mainly white and protested.

Just wanted to tell you that I love your username hahahah. Also, I am currently deciding between Columbia and NYU but leaning towards NYU because I have seen a few posts saying the same thing! The only thing that I'm worried about with NYU is it being too clinical and that I might feel trapped if I eventually change my mind and want to do macro 

Hi all! I was also torn between Columbia and NYU and ended up picking NYU after talking to recent grads of both. I picked NYU because of clinical and $$$$. I think both are amazing schools, but I just loved the research centers at NYU and what the students had to say about the profs at NYU. Let me know if anyone wants to chat about it, i know its such a hard decision! 

• 10 months later...

For those who chose NYU and are currently attending, how have you found the field placement office? Have they been supportive? I have heard that the field office requires a ton of self-advocacy & that they have a reputation for not being super helpful and would love to hear your thoughts!

These posts have me freaking out! I logged on here just to see if anyone knew when/how Columbia sends out their MA admissions decisions and I'm seeing things about an interview... I haven't been contacted for one! And I thought I remember reading when I applied there and NYU that neither of the schools do interviews? Does anybody know!?

EDIT: I think I posted this in the wrong forum and now can't find the right one, but it won't let me delete! Sorry!

Edited by MissWorld19