Music | Fall 2020

Soufie

13 hours ago, Bucky Waters said:

...AAAAAND rejected at Brown. Womp, womp.

Really sorry to hear that. I've gotten seven rejections and Brown is my last active application. I haven't heard anything yet? Strange.

1 hour ago, freshavocado said:

Really sorry to hear that. I've gotten seven rejections and Brown is my last active application. I haven't heard anything yet? Strange.

I'm hoping that's a good thing! Maybe you're still in the running. Fingers crossed. :)

1 hour ago, ironsucks said:

Does anyone here get into any schools at all? Columbia this year only accepted one person... Told by Haas

I was told that some years, they decide not to take a single applicant!

11 hours ago, ironsucks said:

Does anyone here get into any schools at all? Columbia this year only accepted one person... Told by Haas

Very strange. I know a different Columbia professor quite well, and they told me they took four...

Haven't gotten in anywhere yet either, still waiting on my last school—Brown

2 hours ago, freshavocado said:

Told by whom? To my knowledge they take 3-4 every year

A generally trustworthy source--a very well-known composer in academia who has ties to Columbia. Granted, I've not looked into this myself, and the website would suggest that there are many current DMA students, so perhaps that's not a recent bit of news?

7 minutes ago, Bucky Waters said:

A generally trustworthy source--a very well-known composer in academia who has ties to Columbia. Granted, I've not looked into this myself, and the website would suggest that there are many current DMA students, so perhaps that's not a recent bit of news?

Eh, who knows. I have heard this very thing about NYU though, from someone who was rejected years ago because the school was not admitting any composers. Steinhardt admitted 1-2 doctoral students per year across all disciplines, which is why I didn't even apply. I'm confident, but I know I'm not that guy who's gonna be the one person to get in in 2-3 years.

9 minutes ago, Bucky Waters said:

Still haven't heard from: CUNY, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, UC Berkeley, University of Missouri Kansas City. 

There's a non-zero chance that the delay has to do with the COVID-19 madness. Nearly all of those schools are in badly hit states.

Still waiting on Brown on my end. Good luck and stay healthy!

Just now, Parsifal said:

By the way @freshavocado, another MM to look at is Rice.  I’ve heard their masters students tend to be fully funded.  It’s also my only outstanding school...

Thanks! Though it's a bit far for me...trying to stay in the Northeast/Midwest for family.

1 hour ago, freshavocado said:

There's a non-zero chance that the delay has to do with the COVID-19 madness. Nearly all of those schools are in badly hit states.

Still waiting on Brown on my end. Good luck and stay healthy!

I assume that's the case, yes. I'm also in a state with high-Covid activity, so I definitely understand the slowdown.

Thanks, and you do the same!

Hi all! I’m new here, but I’ve been reading the forums, and I thought I would jump in. This has all been extremely helpful. :)

I received an acceptance from UCSD’s PhD program in Computer Music a few weeks back. I also was accepted to UCI’s Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology PhD program. I hope that maybe helps for a time frame if people are still waiting. Maybe they don’t send them out all at once!

9 hours ago, rgwitch said:

Hi all! I’m new here, but I’ve been reading the forums, and I thought I would jump in. This has all been extremely helpful. :)

I received an acceptance from UCSD’s PhD program in Computer Music a few weeks back. I also was accepted to UCI’s Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology PhD program. I hope that maybe helps for a time frame if people are still waiting. Maybe they don’t send them out all at once!

Thanks! That is helpful. And congrats! My partner applied to the UCSD Music: Integrative Studies PhD (which he thinks is a different admissions committee) and UCI's Integrated Composition PhD. Do you have any thoughts on which way you're currently leaning? Those are both incredible programs.

55 minutes ago, Bucky Waters said:

Thanks! That is helpful. And congrats! My partner applied to the UCSD Music: Integrative Studies PhD (which he thinks is a different admissions committee) and UCI's Integrated Composition PhD. Do you have any thoughts on which way you're currently leaning? Those are both incredible programs.

Thanks so much for the kind words. :) 

I think you’re right about UCSD, but I’m sure it’s going to come soon. I was just thinking that even though the Covid-19 is putting a damper on a lot of things, schools should still be sending out decisions in a timely manner — mostly because some school budgets depend on accepted students paying tuition. My current school is moving a lot of recruitment online now. So don’t give up hope!

I’m not sure which one I am leaning to, maybe UCI. I still am considering some other options!

Well, just got my rejection from Brown. That's 0-8 for my schools...it's been real, y'all!

Good luck to you all. Maybe I'll be back next year after I reevaluate. Considering applying to funded/cheap Master's program rather than trying again for doctorate. Peace ✌️

4 minutes ago, freshavocado said:

Well, just got my rejection from Brown. That's 0-8 for my schools...it's been real, y'all!

Good luck to you all. Maybe I'll be back next year after I reevaluate. Considering applying to funded/cheap Master's program rather than trying again for doctorate. Peace ✌️

Good luck! You are very far from alone.  Most of my friends are in the same boat and they all have master’s degrees. I’ve been there too last year...  and 50/50 odds I’ll see you again right here same time same place next year.

I don’t know your whole situation but looking at funded master’s programs sounds right.  

On 3/12/2020 at 9:29 PM, ironsucks said:

Which program are you talking about? I'm not sure about ethno, theory, or composition, but there are definitely four accepted students to the musicology PhD this year (I know for sure because I am one of them).

Also hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while, but I decided to make an account and comment finally. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back from places -- I'm still trying to decide where I want to go, but there may be some waitlist movement (musicology PhD) at a few places in the next few weeks ;)