Music | Fall 2020

Soufie

Hi all, 

Thought of initiating discussions on acceptances/waitlists in Music programs starting Fall 2020.

I have applied for a PhD in Ethnomusicology to four schools. 

Have been wait-listed at my dream school UCLA though.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from UCLA?

Just now, Soufie said:

Hi all, 

Thought of initiating discussions on acceptances/waitlists in Music programs starting Fall 2020.

I have applied for a PhD in Ethnomusicology to four schools. 

Have been wait-listed at my dream school UCLA though.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from UCLA?

#music #ethnomusicology #fall 2020 #music2020

My partner applied to 17 DMA/PhD programs in Composition (I'm also applying to MFA programs, so we're casting a pretty wide net here). Here's where things stand for him:

Applied: UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, Princeton, Rutgers, CUNY Graduate Center, UMiss Kansas City, UT Austin, Hartt School, UPitt, U Washington, Juilliard, University of Chicago, USC, Northwestern, Brown, Brandeis

Interviewed: Rutgers, UT Austin, Hartt School, U Pitt

Rejections: U Washington, Juilliard, U of Chicago, USC, Northwestern

Radio Silence: UC Berkley, UC Irvine, US San Diego, Princeton, CUNY Graduate Center, UMiss Kansas City, Brown, Brandeis

Acceptances: Zilch as of yet.

Has anyone heard from any of the above schools (interviews or acceptances)? It's a long list. Ha!

Edited by Bucky Waters
Accidental omission

Hey all,

I'm a composition applicant and have heard from Northwestern, UCHicago, Columbia, and Princeton in that order (all rejections ?) .

Still waiting on Brown, Harvard, CUNY, and Wesleyan.

UChicago is considering me for their MAPH program but it sounds like a complete ripoff so you already know I'm swerving that.

Crossing my fingers for you all!

Edited by freshavocado
forgot to add something

@freshavocado Got it (I only asked because I was curious about the MAPH referral which seems to be for non-masters having people).  But yeah the fact is most everyone at those programs has a masters degree, and some have many years of experience beyond that.  What funded masters degrees do you know of actually?  I only know of one (Yale)

@Parsifal Wesleyan is the one I applied to...I didn't even consider Master's degrees because I assumed that all are unfunded. I later learned that Wesleyan is. Yale is another one, and I'm slowly learning about others that are either fully-funded or tend to give lots of aid. But too little too late now...if I don't get in anywhere this year I might focus on that next year if I decide to reapply.

8 hours ago, EyeJay said:

Waitlisted for CUNY's ethnomusicology program. Apparently they had a much larger applicant pool than usual. Now I'm just hoping for a spot to open up ?

Good luck for CUNY! I am too in a waitlisted state of mind...

Has anyone heard yet from CUNY Graduate Center Composition?? I realized the other day when checking the app. portal that my application shows as "Incomplete" even though I submitted all materials well before the deadline...I assume this is a weird aspect of not having submitted an official transcript, which I presumably don't need to do unless accepted.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

On 2/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, Parsifal said:

@freshavocado Got it (I only asked because I was curious about the MAPH referral which seems to be for non-masters having people).  But yeah the fact is most everyone at those programs has a masters degree, and some have many years of experience beyond that.  What funded masters degrees do you know of actually?  I only know of one (Yale)

University of Louisville has funded programs and the faculty is great

23 hours ago, freshavocado said:

Has anyone heard yet from CUNY Graduate Center Composition?? I realized the other day when checking the app. portal that my application shows as "Incomplete" even though I submitted all materials well before the deadline...I assume this is a weird aspect of not having submitted an official transcript, which I presumably don't need to do unless accepted.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Unfortunately I know of at least one interview invite which was sent a while ago.  You should probably call/email them about the 'incomplete'.  

16 minutes ago, Parsifal said:

Unfortunately I know of at least one interview invite which was sent a while ago.  You should probably call/email them about the 'incomplete'.  

Hi @Parsifal, is this someone you know personally? And this was for the composition DMA?

@Parsifal will do, though on the "Check Your Application" section of the portal, it says "Congratulations! All required questions have been completed and your Application has been successfully submitted."

But then again it's CUNY, which is not exactly known for its physical or electronic infrastructure. I hope nothing is wrong...

58 minutes ago, freshavocado said:

@Parsifal will do, though on the "Check Your Application" section of the portal, it says "Congratulations! All required questions have been completed and your Application has been successfully submitted."

But then again it's CUNY, which is not exactly known for its physical or electronic infrastructure. I hope nothing is wrong...

My partner's portal also said that his application was incomplete due to unreceived GRE scores. He emailed yesterday, and they responded stating that they did indeed have his GRE scores and that his application is under review. So it's probably fine. :)