Music | Fall 2020

Soufie

On 3/20/2020 at 9:46 PM, ElCidCampeador said:

Which program are you talking about? I'm not sure about ethno, theory, or composition, but there are definitely four accepted students to the musicology PhD this year (I know for sure because I am one of them).

Also hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while, but I decided to make an account and comment finally. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back from places -- I'm still trying to decide where I want to go, but there may be some waitlist movement (musicology PhD) at a few places in the next few weeks ;)

Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia! What schools are you considering?

6 hours ago, tray said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia! What schools are you considering?

Thanks!!! I'm currently most seriously considering UC Berkeley, Columbia, and Eastman. I was also accepted to IU Jacobs and UCLA, in case that helps anyone holding out for a waitlist!

Hi everyone- Composition PhD/DMA applicant here. I've been lurking but haven't said anything. Has anybody heard from Cornell's Composition DMA? Complete radio silence. I'll probably be attending Rutgers because I really like Bob Aldridge but I also like Cornell's program.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, ElCidCampeador said:

Thanks!!! I'm currently most seriously considering UC Berkeley, Columbia, and Eastman. I was also accepted to IU Jacobs and UCLA, in case that helps anyone holding out for a waitlist!

Oh that's  you! Wow, congrats. You have a bunch of wonderful options, that's awesome. 

What kind of stuff do you work on? What professors of interest at those schools do you have?

I am on the waitlist at UCLA, which is my dream school, so that does help! Thanks for letting me know. 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, tray said:

Oh that's  you! Wow, congrats. You have a bunch of wonderful options, that's awesome. 

What kind of stuff do you work on? What professors of interest at those schools do you have?

I am on the waitlist at UCLA, which is my dream school, so that does help! Thanks for letting me know. 

Thank you! :) Yes, I was extremely lucky!!

I'm a medievalist - working on French polyphony and linguistics, so I'd probably work with Zazulia (Berkeley) or Boynton (Columbia). At UCLA, I was considering working with Upton!

I'm not sure how the waitlist at UCLA works/if they rank or pick based on people's professor of interest -- also not sure about how many accepted students are going to accept their offer (there was a cohort of 4 accepted), but I'm almost 100% going to turn it down next week if that helps! I just want to give them a name of the place I do end up choosing before I send them my decision.

Best of luck and hope you get in!!

On 3/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, ElCidCampeador said:

Thank you! :) Yes, I was extremely lucky!!

I'm a medievalist - working on French polyphony and linguistics, so I'd probably work with Zazulia (Berkeley) or Boynton (Columbia). At UCLA, I was considering working with Upton!

I'm not sure how the waitlist at UCLA works/if they rank or pick based on people's professor of interest -- also not sure about how many accepted students are going to accept their offer (there was a cohort of 4 accepted), but I'm almost 100% going to turn it down next week if that helps! I just want to give them a name of the place I do end up choosing before I send them my decision.

Best of luck and hope you get in!!

Thank you! I appreciate the info. Yeah I'm not sure how their list works, either, but you and I have different concentrations (I work on 20th/21st century opera), so who knows. I have other acceptances, just waiting for UCLA to decide on me. I'd love to hear where you decide to go!

On 3/29/2020 at 8:30 PM, tray said:

Thank you! I appreciate the info. Yeah I'm not sure how their list works, either, but you and I have different concentrations (I work on 20th/21st century opera), so who knows. I have other acceptances, just waiting for UCLA to decide on me. I'd love to hear where you decide to go!

Just made my decision: I'm #BerkeleyBound!

I'm informing UCLA and the other schools right now -- Best of luck to you and others on the waitlist. I'm pretty sure UCLA is taking people off the waitlist, but again, I'm not too sure of how they pick. Hope you get in!!!!

Congratulations, that's so exciting! If I go to Davis, maybe I'll see you at Berkeley!

Thanks for the updates, I appreciate it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. Received my acceptance to the PhD in Ethnomusicology from UCLA today. Will receive the formal offer letter tomorrow. 

Had got it in at Cambridge last year, but decided against it. Am glad I did.

So if thinks work out, and we all make it out alive, I will be starting my dream program at the terrific Herb Alpert this fall.

So happy. So numb. Will celebrate with some scrumptious South Indian breakfast and rich filter coffee tomorrow.