Music | Fall 2020

Soufie

1 minute ago, Bucky Waters said:

My partner's portal also said that his application was incomplete due to unreceived GRE scores. He emailed yesterday, and they responded stating that they did indeed have his GRE scores and that his application is under review. So it's probably fine. :)

Ok great, thanks for letting me know. That's reassuring.

Has anyone applied to/heard anything from Brown? That's the last doctorate program I applied to, and there are no posts about it this year.

Other than that I'm waiting on Wesleyan Master's, which should come out a bit later, around mid March. I have yet to be accepted anywhere...crossing my fingers!

1 hour ago, freshavocado said:

Has anyone applied to/heard anything from Brown? That's the last doctorate program I applied to, and there are no posts about it this year.

Other than that I'm waiting on Wesleyan Master's, which should come out a bit later, around mid March. I have yet to be accepted anywhere...crossing my fingers!

Nothing yet from Brown!

1 hour ago, ironsucks said:

Has anyone heard back from UCSD or UC Berkeley for PhD in composition? 

I applied to Brown and Stanford, and haven't heard anything.  Both usually do interviews (seemingly always in January for Stanford, and I believe Jan/Feb for Brown).  Brown reviewed my portfolio in December (they barely looked at anything I'd submitted :( ), and Stanford had a detailed look for several weeks over January but I haven't heard anything since. I'm thinking it's sadly not looking good for those of us who haven't been contacted for an interview ?.   I'm pretty sure that UCSD is interviewing this year, but they've done rolling reviews/acceptances in the past, so that could still be a possibility.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, freshavocado said:

@Parsifal Wesleyan is the one I applied to...I didn't even consider Master's degrees because I assumed that all are unfunded. I later learned that Wesleyan is. Yale is another one, and I'm slowly learning about others that are either fully-funded or tend to give lots of aid. But too little too late now...if I don't get in anywhere this year I might focus on that next year if I decide to reapply.

I'm pretty sure that Dartmouth's masters in Digital Music is funded!

18 minutes ago, miimo said:

I applied to Brown and Stanford, and haven't heard anything.  Both usually do interviews (seemingly always in January for Stanford, and I believe Jan/Feb for Brown).  Brown reviewed my portfolio in December (they barely looked at anything I'd submitted :( ), and Stanford had a detailed look for several weeks over January but I haven't heard anything since. I'm thinking it's sadly not looking good for those of us who haven't been contacted for an interview ?.   I'm pretty sure that UCSD is interviewing this year, but they've done rolling reviews/acceptances in the past, so that could still be a possibility.

Sad!! I knew Brown was a long-shot...their program is heavy on electronic/multimedia, which is not really my focus. I would like to get there but didn't have much opportunity in undergrad.

1 minute ago, freshavocado said:

Sad!! I knew Brown was a long-shot...their program is heavy on electronic/multimedia, which is not really my focus. I would like to get there but didn't have much opportunity in undergrad.

Yea it's a tiny tiny department which makes the competition there extra intense; I'm pretty sure they've only accepted one to two people for the last few years. 

1 hour ago, miimo said:

How do you know UCSD is interviewing this year? Do you know someone who's invited for an interview?

26 minutes ago, freshavocado said:

It shouldn’t be sad if it wasn’t your focus and you don’t have much experience there. 

3 minutes ago, ironsucks said:

How do you know UCSD is interviewing this year? Do you know someone who's invited for an interview?

I know someone in the department who mentioned that someone had been interviewed and accepted, unless I misunderstood.  I applied there last year, and I remember reading on one of these forums that they do rolling admins (they look at applications and do interviews in different stages), so some people find out their results in Feb, some in March, etc.  

31 minutes ago, miimo said:

I know someone in the department who mentioned that someone had been interviewed and accepted, unless I misunderstood.  I applied there last year, and I remember reading on one of these forums that they do rolling admins (they look at applications and do interviews in different stages), so some people find out their results in Feb, some in March, etc.  

I see. Is the person you know in the department talking about this year? I also know someone in the department, but he told me there's no interview for him when he got accepted.

I just checked the result board. Someone got rejected by UCSD earlier this month, so it does seem they are making decisions at different time. I am really confused by the admission process in all these California schools. I applied to three schools in California, but I have heard back from none of them.?

48 minutes ago, ironsucks said:

I see. Is the person you know in the department talking about this year? I also know someone in the department, but he told me there's no interview for him when he got accepted.

I just checked the result board. Someone got rejected by UCSD earlier this month, so it does seem they are making decisions at different time. I am really confused by the admission process in all these California schools. I applied to three schools in California, but I have heard back from none of them.?

Hm I looked on the board and it looks like sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  They might do them for some people and not others, depending on the applicant, but it seems to vary year to year.  The person I know was talking about this year, but I might have misunderstood or something. 

I looked at the board again, it does look like there are internal waitlists so some people are notified earlier, some on April 15.  I wouldn't lose hope!

Current UCSD student here. As far as I'm aware, all acceptances have been sent out there. But, I know someone in the course who was admitted from the waitlist on the final day in April. Any interviews are usually informal. Hope that gives you some clarity.

1 hour ago, sssddddff said:

Current UCSD student here. As far as I'm aware, all acceptances have been sent out there. But, I know someone in the course who was admitted from the waitlist on the final day in April. Any interviews are usually informal. Hope that gives you some clarity.

Are you a current PhD student? What do you mean by "all acceptances have been sent out there"? More specifically, where is "there"?

6 hours ago, ironsucks said:

Are you a current PhD student? What do you mean by "all acceptances have been sent out there"? More specifically, where is "there"?

I must be very tired last night, but now I think I know what you mean.? So you mean all the acceptances have been sent out somewhere? Does that mean for the rest of us we just got rejected? 

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I mean that, from my knowledge, UCSD has chosen their first round of applicants they want to admit to the program. But, if any of those take another offer, then it'll trickle down to the wait list. I don't know necessarily whether UCSD tells people that they are on the waitlist or not though. It's also worth keeping in mind that the selection committee for incoming grad students isn't made up of the entire composition faculty -- a few take turns each year. So, maybe you've had prior interaction with one of the professors -- they may or may not be on the committee to view your application that year.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Anybody know what's going on with CUNY's Composition PhD? I saw a note on the results page inquiring about the waitlist, but my partner hasn't heard either way--no acceptance, rejection, or waitlisted status. 

6 hours ago, Bucky Waters said:

Anybody know what's going on with CUNY's Composition PhD? I saw a note on the results page inquiring about the waitlist, but my partner hasn't heard either way--no acceptance, rejection, or waitlisted status. 

I didn't receive an email, but I checked my application portal and saw that they posted decisions a little while ago. Unfortunately, I did not get in. Maybe check there? No idea about waitlist.

6 hours ago, freshavocado said:

I didn't receive an email, but I checked my application portal and saw that they posted decisions a little while ago. Unfortunately, I did not get in. Maybe check there? No idea about waitlist.

We checked, and there's no information! It just says that the application has been completed. So strange.

Has anyone heard from Wesleyan? I applied to their Master's program and am getting a little antsy. Not a lot of data on their timeline from past results...I suppose it makes sense that the Master's would be a bit later than the doctorate programs.