the97kid

Question

I received a mail from a faculty member requesting for a Skype interview.

Can someone help me out with what kind of questions I am to expect from them? What are the things I need to look up at beforehand? This is the first interview I have received so I would much appreciate if ya'll could drop some tips. Thank you!!!

7 answers to this question

I am assuming that the interview is in the context of admission to a program. 

Some of the questions that you should be prepared to answer -- 

- Tell me more about your background (make sure you cover the part that is relevant to the program and/or the faculty member, and not just cover everything in it)

- A project of your liking (again cover something related to the program)

- Why have you applied to this program (say something specific to the program/school/faculty, and not the usual generic response)

- What other schools you have applied to, and what is your priority (try to answer this as honestly as possible without blowing up your chances :) )

- What do you expect out of the program

While there may or may not be a direct question around this, it is a good idea to read up the faculty's work, and try to relate some of your ideas/past experience with that, and just casually cite their work to let them know that you have read their work. 

9 hours ago, GeorgiaTechPhd said:

I am assuming that the interview is in the context of admission to a program. 

Some of the questions that you should be prepared to answer -- 

- Tell me more about your background (make sure you cover the part that is relevant to the program and/or the faculty member, and not just cover everything in it)

- A project of your liking (again cover something related to the program)

- Why have you applied to this program (say something specific to the program/school/faculty, and not the usual generic response)

- What other schools you have applied to, and what is your priority (try to answer this as honestly as possible without blowing up your chances :) )

- What do you expect out of the program

While there may or may not be a direct question around this, it is a good idea to read up the faculty's work, and try to relate some of your ideas/past experience with that, and just casually cite their work to let them know that you have read their work. 

Thank you so much @GeorgiaTechPhd

@GeorgiaTechPhd Hi.. Btw I had my interview. Didn't ask anything personal or anything like why I chose this university and why I wanted to follow this particular program. I was interviewed by two professors and they mainly focused on my academic background like they literally asked me about each and every subject I learned what I learned in them, applications. Topics I studied under the subjects and whether I was familiar with certain areas. Away from that they also asked to explain what type of undergraduate research I am currently working on. That's it. 

And as to how it went... I flunked up big time. I didn't remember any of the sections I studied in my first two years at uni. So yeah not expecting much from that uni. ?

Oh I am so sorry to hear about that. And that sounds quite weird to me because in most cases that I have seen, the interview doesn't get that technical. 
I apologize if you got carried away because of my advice. :( 
I hope you have other options to look forward to. Don't give up yet, and stay strong. 

Yeah true that even I looked up certain questions they've asked beforehand in skype interviews and most of them were like it's very general basic questions. 

Oh no no it isn't your fault. I had a matter of just 24 hrs to prepare for the interview so I couldn't do much especially since I am amidst sitting for my final of my undergrad.

Thankuuu btw!!!