MIT IDM Fall 2020

yclyoyo

On 3/22/2020 at 5:20 PM, Sudhir Jain said:

Hey, I've applied for the MIT IDM fall 2020 in Engineering cohort. I also haven't heard anything from them. I got admit from similar program MIIPS of CMU.  

Well, Congratulations ! MIIPS is one of the oldest courses in IPD. Way older than MIT IDM. Numerous forums and websites rank CMU MIIPS  better than MIT IDM since its more mature and with a better alumni network. But again, if access to MIT resources is what you want, you should root for this. Either way, it's a win win for you. I unfortunately missed its deadline.

Can't believe it. I also just got an interview invite. So looks like they are still going out, in batches or on a rolling basis. Best of luck to everyone.

@gradskule, speaking to people in the program, I was not able to get any clear info on exactly what might be asked, except to be prepared for an interview that is very different/unusual from typical admissions interviews and is hard to describe. Know yourself and be honest is the advice I got.

Hi all! Just got my interview invitation as well! I visited last November for an open class and I remember them saying that the interview is a very personal process. They want to make sure that people who do get in make a really good fit with the culture and team. There must be a high degree of passion and commitment for your cause. So I would agree with @homecookeddaal, be honest about yourself and your goals.

Wishing everyone the best!

Hi guys. I also can´t believe I received an interview invite (today). Let's do our best :D

Regarding any advices...only that the interview is pretty different from a regular one. Not the usual questions, let's expect the unexpected and be confident about how can we contribute and learn in the program. Here is an insightful article that mentions the interview process: 

https://medium.com/@katherineliew/how-i-got-into-mitidm-3448703762b6

Hope it helps a little. Best of luck!!

21 hours ago, gradskule said:

Any idea on when decisions will be out ?

Also, how did your interviews go ? Good luck to everyone !!

@Katika @AngChincaro @mc13 @homecookeddaal @Yash Trivedi @Sudhir Jain

Matt said that they will contact in 2-3 weeks after the interview. My interview was on 27th March so I am expecting something around 15th of April. 

@Sudhir Jain is right. I was told decisions will be out April 15th as well.

For those who have not done the interview yet, it didn't turn out to be that unusual after all in my opinion. There will be some standard questions (Why IDM? Some digging into/questions about your portfolio, time to ask them questions, etc.) and some unusual questions. But the unusual questions are just abstract questions designed to test your imagination that are quite fun, and for which there isn't any right or wrong answer. You can't really prepare for them, but if you are wondering, they are questions along the lines of "If you were a fish, how would you feel?" [just an example, not the exact question you will get asked.]

Just have fun and relax!

4 hours ago, homecookeddaal said:

@Sudhir Jain is right. I was told decisions will be out April 15th as well.

For those who have not done the interview yet, it didn't turn out to be that unusual after all in my opinion. There will be some standard questions (Why IDM? Some digging into/questions about your portfolio, time to ask them questions, etc.) and some unusual questions. But the unusual questions are just abstract questions designed to test your imagination that are quite fun, and for which there isn't any right or wrong answer. You can't really prepare for them, but if you are wondering, they are questions along the lines of "If you were a fish, how would you feel?" [just an example, not the exact question you will get asked.]

Just have fun and relax!

I totally agree. They told me that now the weird questions will start, but it tbh seemed like just another psych evaluation to me ! But again, yes nothing that you can prepare for, it's all spontaneous.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:49 AM, gradskule said:

Hard to gauge how it went. Unless you know what they're looking for, you can't really tell. It's a psych evaluation to see if you fit in. They'll get done with all the interviews and roll out the results on April 15.

Edited by Yash Trivedi
Incorrect grammar

On 4/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, gradskule said:

Hi @gradskule :) My interview was yesterday. I forgot to ask about the decision's release (and I was planning to ask that hehe). But I suppose we'll have to wait more or less 2 weeks to get any communication. I really enjoyed the interview, it was unsual but fun. Really, you can't study for their questions. Once you're facing them, you just have to let go, and trust your gut. Let see what happens!

Best luck to everyone :D and be safe :)

`

On 4/8/2020 at 11:34 PM, vanillasky2 said:

Just got the interview invitation. I guess I should just try to be myself and finger crossed until Apr 15. Wish everyone good luck!

BTW anyone knows the ratio of interviews among all applicants?

No idea on the ratio. Although judging from the no. of invites posted here, seems like nearly everyone here got an interview :D So either we are the selected few, or they've rolled out an interview to a LOT of people ! 

1 hour ago, Yash Trivedi said:

`

No idea on the ratio. Although judging from the no. of invites posted here, seems like nearly everyone here got an interview :D So either we are the selected few, or they've rolled out an interview to a LOT of people ! 

I think only selected people will be actively posting things here. Anyway, they will let us know on or before next Wednesday so fingers crossed!

Edited by vanillasky2

On 4/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, gradskule said:

Just had my interview this morning! I believe today is the last day. They said results will be out by April 15.

I think it went well! Agreeing with everybody, it was unusual but fun. They really want to know your core personality, intentions and vision. Makes sense! They have already seem the skills / academic qualifications and now they want to see your attitude and mindset.

Wishing everybody the best! Let’s keep each other posted on the results!