thoughts on not meeting min requirements

Kristine

Hi all,
I am considering applying to the MSW for working professionals (non-BSW) at U of Windsor (peel location). My grades are 2 points shy of what they post as a minimum requirement. Do you know if they may consider candidates who do not meet this requirement, but can write a letter explaining why grades are low?
I also applied to the HBSW program at Lakehead, and the 3 year part time BSW at Ryerson.
Good luck!

11 hours ago, Kristine said:

Hi all,
I am considering applying to the MSW for working professionals (non-BSW) at U of Windsor (peel location). My grades are 2 points shy of what they post as a minimum requirement. Do you know if they may consider candidates who do not meet this requirement, but can write a letter explaining why grades are low?
I also applied to the HBSW program at Lakehead, and the 3 year part time BSW at Ryerson.
Good luck!

Most programs encourage applicants to say within their statements why they may not meet minimum requirement, but why they're still qualified. I'd say give it a definite shot. 

I would still apply. I know people who have gotten into other program that had gpas below the requirement. they might ask for an additional statement explaining. also few free to call the program and ask i’m sure they’d be happy to give you some advice

I think it really depends on what else you can bring to the table. GPA is one aspect. Work experience is another. Things you do in your free time is another. Your goals and your dreams for yourself and society can all be things that may stand out. Plus if there is a reason that is school specific to why you want to go there, that is usually huge.  

I didn't think I would get in to the schools I applied to because of my 3.1 GPA and I have zero social work experience. But I have a lot of community engagement both in my free time and in employment. Combine that with my passions and I look like a much better candidate. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 6:27 PM, perfectamity said:

I think it really depends on what else you can bring to the table. GPA is one aspect. Work experience is another. Things you do in your free time is another. Your goals and your dreams for yourself and society can all be things that may stand out. Plus if there is a reason that is school specific to why you want to go there, that is usually huge.  

I didn't think I would get in to the schools I applied to because of my 3.1 GPA and I have zero social work experience. But I have a lot of community engagement both in my free time and in employment. Combine that with my passions and I look like a much better candidate. 

Can I ask what school you got into and how much experience you had in terms of years? 

Hi there, I applied to Windsors working professional program with just a couple of decimals off and was told I was not accepted because I did not meet the grade requirement. When I had talked to admission prior to the decision she was very stern about making the grade but I still applied. That is my experience. Not to deter you from applying because hey you just never know.