2020 UNC CH vs. Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Michigan?? Help!

NE17

Hi! Applied to and got accepted to MSW programs at UNC Chapel Hill, Columbia, U Michigan, and U Chicago. Really really thankful, but also having a lot of trouble making a decision or even narrowing it down (made a very detailed Google spreadsheet, color coded and everything haha). Any help or advice from current students on how you made a decision or fellow applicants who have decided, etc. would be super helpful! A few things about me/to note:

-I applied for the community change/macro/generalist area of practice for each school

- Currently doing community organizing work and looking to supplement that work through an MSW-- want to be part of a program with a lot of options for me, with a real commitment to systems change and so a pretty much exclusively clinically focused school wouldn't be a good fit for me

-Not a resident of any of these states (currently live in DC)

-$$ is a huuuge factor (duh) I've gotten some scholarships from every school except UNC so far, but it's still expensive and daunting (my undergrad had really good financial aid and I had no $ so I've never had to take any loans)

-Would love to (ideally) visit a school before I accept, but $$ is a factor and with time constraints it might not be realistic to visit all 4 in time, hence my desire to narrow down the options.

Sorry for the long post! Anything is helpful, so thanks in advance!!!

On 2/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, anelab said:

A professor at one of those schools told me the top 20 are all going to have just about the same curriculum, so go where there's money. Research if there's organizations who do the work you want to do in the areas where you could intern.

Go where the school has money or go to the school that is giving you the most money? Trying to decide between Case Western and WashU since I haven't heard from the other schools yet.

10 hours ago, NE17 said:

Hi! Applied to and got accepted to MSW programs at UNC Chapel Hill, Columbia, U Michigan, and U Chicago. Really really thankful, but also having a lot of trouble making a decision or even narrowing it down (made a very detailed Google spreadsheet, color coded and everything haha). Any help or advice from current students on how you made a decision or fellow applicants who have decided, etc. would be super helpful! A few things about me/to note:

-I applied for the community change/macro/generalist area of practice for each school

- Currently doing community organizing work and looking to supplement that work through an MSW-- want to be part of a program with a lot of options for me, with a real commitment to systems change and so a pretty much exclusively clinically focused school wouldn't be a good fit for me

-Not a resident of any of these states (currently live in DC)

-$$ is a huuuge factor (duh) I've gotten some scholarships from every school except UNC so far, but it's still expensive and daunting (my undergrad had really good financial aid and I had no $ so I've never had to take any loans)

-Would love to (ideally) visit a school before I accept, but $$ is a factor and with time constraints it might not be realistic to visit all 4 in time, hence my desire to narrow down the options.

Sorry for the long post! Anything is helpful, so thanks in advance!!!

sounds like money is the big concern for you so go where it's cheapest.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, perfectamity said:

Go where the school has money or go to the school that is giving you the most money? Trying to decide between Case Western and WashU since I haven't heard from the other schools yet.

The school that's giving you the most money. I'll be at WashU as a PhD student next year, and one of the biggest reasons is because they're giving me a truck load of money. For the MSW, the name of the school doesn't matter nearly as much. Top 20 is top 20, and even that doesn't matter for most jobs.

15 hours ago, anelab said:

A professor at one of those schools told me the top 20 are all going to have just about the same curriculum, so go where there's money. Research if there's organizations who do the work you want to do in the areas where you could intern.

That makes sense, I feel like I've heard this a lot. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Msw2020lala said:

Agreed with others to go where youll have less debt.. these are all top programs. also my 2c is if you’re concerned about money I’d knock Columbia off the list unless you were getting reeeeeally significant aid. The cost of living in NYC compared to the locations of the other schools is ???

Definitely makes sense and is something I've thought about a lot. Thank you! Are you also planning to start your MSW this year?

Edited by NE17

12 hours ago, perfectamity said:

Curious, what are they offering you and where are you attending now?

Just to be sure, were you meaning to ask this question to me or to anelab?