I Decided to Apply for Admissions to Seminary While I Was Drunk

Xavier27

I am 43 years old. I have always wanted to study theology since I graduated from high school, but preferred to give a secular direction to what I thought was my calling. I have a B.A. in Education and an M.Ed. in Guidance & Counseling. I don't know if I'm experiencing some kind of middle-age crisis, but I'm dissatisfied with the way I have been living my life. So one night I was having a couple of glasses of wine alone at home, and the idea about applying to theology school came to my mind. I researched a little bit about some schools and found one with reasonable admission requirements and generous financial aid. I don't belong to any church and loved the fact that I didn't need a letter from a pastor. The school is also affiliated to a secular university and accredited by the ATS. After seeing the academic offering, I decided to apply for a Master's in Theology. I was really drunk.

It took me five weeks to write two required essays and gather the required documents like transcripts and recommendations. I am actually a community organizer and my recommendations were strong. I abstained from drinking while I was completing everything, and submitted the application by the priority admission deadline. Well... to my surprise, I was admitted with a tuition scholarship and the chance to be considered for a merit scholarship. I was in shock! The additional requirement for merit scholarship was challenging, but I did my best. I was awarded a merit scholarship with a stipend. WOW... I couldn't believe it!! I was asking myself if it was because I am a great candidate or it was just because the school was too easy. 

I have to admit that I am really excited and proud of myself. The curriculum content is so interesting, but the fact that I was drunk when I decided to apply makes me doubt my decision.

A little over a year ago I had to write a comp essay that I was struggling with. I knew what I needed to do but it was a case of writers' block and it was a rather philosophical piece on contemporary theodicy. Anyway, after missing my deadline and drawing from earlier conversations, my advisor invites me over to a working group of faculty and grad students that they're hosting at their house. In reality, we all got drunk (to be fair: It was more than a buzz but far less than being dangerous/unprofessional).

The point was that we were all working on something and struggling, aka were overthinking it so the group was a fun gathering that used alcohol to get passed our blocks but also to bounce ideas off each other. With a stack of notes the next day I spent the next 48 hours finalizing it and it's probably the best writing I've done so far.

So, clearly Luther was onto something! Props to the merit scholarship!

I could understand feeling weird about it, but you weren't drunk when you were writing your application materials and getting LORs. My impression is that maybe you're nervous about going through a major life/career change. That's understandable, but personally, I think you've got a wonderful opportunity!

Certainly take some time to consider your goals and what you'd want out of this experience, but I'd stop worrying about being drunk that night.

For whatever it’s worth, whether it was in law school, my post doc law degree or other graduate activities, after most of the primary research is done, I often write with a large 3-4 finger pour of bourbon. Now, that pour typically lasts 3-4 hours, but it certainly lubricates the tedium of writing...