Looking for advice on Phds focused in Environmental Security/International Policy

FlynnMAK24

Question

Hey folks I've actually got a few of questions under that more general heading I've titled this post with. They're listed and explained a bit below.

1. Best programs to explore that fit my interests

Generally speaking, I'm looking to conduct policy-relevant research in the field of environmental security.

Research Focus: I'm particularly interested in the relationships between regional environmental change and specific sub-national conflict dynamics related to armed groups, polarization between conflict parties, and national governance in developing states, as well as how environment specific humanitarian aid and response programs can be designed to best encourage peacebuilding in these environments.

Where I'm looking: I'm mostly interested in US-based programs, largely due to the fact that they generally offer more training and I'm coming from a more applied research/non academic background in some key respects. Currently, I've shortlisted Duke's University Program in Environmental Policy (UPEP), the School of International Service (SIS) at American University, George Mason's School for Conflict Analysis & Resolution (SCAR), and the LBJ School of Public Policy at University of Texas at Austin. This feels like a very narrow list, but I've been unable (so far) to find better matches. I'm curious if anyone as any insight that might be able to expand my search? IE what programs offer similar degrees with similar foci and have possible faculty matches?

2. Typical Funding Amounts at a few programs I've been looking into

Another thing I'm trying to find out is if there is any data available on what I *might* be able to expect in terms of funding. Obviously this is dependent on a lot of factors, many of which will be grounded in my application, but a general range of funding amounts or an exact amount for the typical package at fully funded programs would be helpful in decision-making about my search. Some places publish this info, others don't seem to from what I've found. But if anyone on here has pursued similar degrees at the institutions I've mentioned above (Duke, American, U Texas at Austin, George Mason) or any others, I'd be interested to hear from you.

3. How my own profile stacks up (i.e. how competitive am I and where should that lead me to set my sights)

Finally, I'm well aware of the pressure to get into a top program if you desire a career in academia (although I see my own career kind of straddling work in universities with work in government or policy think tanks) and I'd be curious to get some general opinions on the basic elements of my profile. I'll list these below:

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor of Arts in International Political Economy, GPA 3.34, Graduated Cum Laude, Bethany College, 2014.

Bethany is a small liberal arts college in WV without much reach but it does distinguish itself in being one of the last hold outs in requiring students to take Senior Comprehensive Exams in order to earn their degree. I earned Distinction on my exams and got an A on my senior research project on the effects of FDI flows on developing state labor market regulations. I was also a member of three honors societies, Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science), Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics), & Pi Gamma Mu (Social Sciences)

Graduate Degrees: Master of Public Administration in Economic Policy & Development, GPA 3.85, Middlebury Institute of International Studies, 2016 & an MA in Environmental Policy & Natural Resource Management, GPA 3.79, also MIIS, 2017.

This was a dual degree program at a sort of mid-tier professional graduate institution. MIIS consistently ranks around the lower levels of the Top 20 in Foreign Policy's Best Masters Programs for Careers in International Relations but is not a research-focused school and does not traditionally train people for careers in academia.

Research Experience: Largely applied research projects with various NGOs around the world. I have a decent bit of training in quantitative research methods, and some qualitative, and have applied my knowledge to program evaluations, policy analysis research design projects, composite indicator design for international development, and community based research projects with small NGOs.

Relevant Professional Experience: I'll explain some of this stuff in the comments if it's needed but here's a list:

- Currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving as a Community & Economic Development Associate in N. Macedonia

- Regional Organizer/Campaign Liason with the Climate Reality Project

-Assistant Professor of Political Science & International Relations at Bethany College (full time, taught multiple courses including American Politics, International Relations, International Development, Environmental Politics, International Terrorism, International Human Rights Law & Policy, Advanced Policy Writing & Design Seminar, Research Methods in Political Science, Political Economy, etc.)

-Consultant with multiple NGOs

Foreign Languages: Albanian (Intermediate High), Macedonian (Intermediate Low), Spanish (Intermediate Mid)

Anyway... thanks for reading through this if you've made it this far haha

Edited by FlynnMAK24

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet